lemur vs. push

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kingmauri

lemur vs. push

Post by kingmauri » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:15 pm

just discovered "lemur" for the ipad today (yeah i know - only now?)

so...quick and dirty:
why I need push when I have a fully configurable software for the ipad? everthing what push do, can lemur as well - and even more. "hardware feeling" for $500 is not really an argument. Even if I'm a victim of the marketing of ableton and I will definitely buy a push-controller, I would like to hear what you guys are thinking about.

glitchrock-buddha

Re: lemur vs. push

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:26 pm

Lemur for ipad is great, as are many other ipad controller. And they are much more flexible than Push of course because a touch screen can essentially have any configuration.

However "hardware feeling" for any price is indeed any argument and it is the only argument that ever really matters. Lightly tapping little parts of a glass screen is ok some things (mainly continuous controllers and interesting new modulation concepts) but it's pretty terrible as a way to push buttons and play velocity responsive drum and instruments. It's the same argument why people will always play electric keyboards and guitars rather than move to little toy ipad touch screen guitars and keys. The hardware feeling in fact everything when you're talking about a musical instrument.

You don't bang on glass, you bang on pads. And don't even get me started on the difference between real knobs/sliders vs. virtual screen knobs on an ipad.

That being said the combination of the two types is sweet.
Professional Shark Jumper.

login

Post by login » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:10 pm

No velocity sensitive pads would be one thing lemur can't do.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:36 pm

The more I read about Push on here it sounds like it’s way more of an instrument controller than a production controller.

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:40 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote: That being said the combination of the two types is sweet.

this, also it's really not necessary to have the lemur and push fighting with each other.

spacecat

Post by spacecat » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:24 pm

Lemur is totally awesome! I love it!

Probably the reason why i got an ipad.

That being said:

I love the feel of knobs and faders too! You can put so much power into it. Real stuff! - awesome feel

Conclusion?

Do what you want.. Its your thing man...;)

Edit: the vs. Mindset is not healthy...;)
Editedit:'live,fruggin rox!:)

trilo

Post by trilo » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:42 am

You may not need Push, or many of the other hardware controllers on the market. Use and enjoy Lemur, and if you want to step things up into more dedicated hardware with velocity sensitive buttons, consider push (or one of the other solutions out there). Push appears to be a fantastic solution (with a premium price) for a very specific set of users.

aioffermann

Post by aioffermann » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:54 am

beats me wrote:The more I read about Push on here it sounds like it’s way more of an instrument controller than a production controller.
Yea I totally feel ya on that... Can't wait to get it! :lol: :lol:

kingmauri

Post by kingmauri » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:40 pm

i just tried lemur yesterday and now I know exactly what you mean about the "hardware feeling"...honestly lemur is cool. but not as main controller (in my opinion)...I need something real to touch :)

re8

Post by re8 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:57 pm

kingmauri wrote:i just tried lemur yesterday and now I know exactly what you mean about the "hardware feeling"...honestly lemur is cool. but not as main controller (in my opinion)...I need something real to touch :)
& well as having velocity & aftertouch.
However, I think Lemur is a great add-on to Push. Push has only a few knobs, & if you want faders that can change scenes fast, XY pads, & other "creative" interfaces, then Lemur/iPad apps is the way to go IMHO. I am considering getting an iPad just to run Lemur with my Push.