Question about clean install of OSX but maintaining Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djdavidvaux

Question about clean install of OSX but maintaining Ableton

Post by djdavidvaux » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:16 pm

Have any of you done a full re-install of OSX before (just to get your computer cleaned up and back up to par)?

I'm looking to do this now to get rid of a ton of random shit I dont need anymore and to simply have a clean install, but I dont know how to maintain all my settings, VSTs, etc from Ableton. I preferably dont want to have to go in and re-install everything. Is there any 'clean' way to do this?

Any suggestions?

UCAudio

Re: Question about clean install of OSX but maintaining Ableton

Post by UCAudio » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:59 pm

I'm interested in this too... particularly... how to save all of my sampler instruments, fx racks, etc that I've made so that I can easily use them again once I reinstall ableton.

Danny_DJ

Post by Danny_DJ » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:58 pm

A true clean install is the best way to get rid of data clutter and cumbersome system behavior. OTOH it can be plenty of work for you if you have lots of stuff set up. No pain, no gain. All apps, all settings and moving back your content manually.

There are some happy medium ways that might work, too:

If you wanna carry all your personal stuff back from the old installation, you have the option to just to migrate your user account from your backup when you wiped the HD and the system installation itself is finished. This gives you back all your ableton libraries's stuff too, because it is sitting in your user's library folder (~/library/application support/ableton). If your VST's folder resides outside your user account folder, it will be missing. so be sure to have it inside of that.

You'd then have to reinstall all your applications anew but their settings and content will usually all be right in place when you open them the first time.

since there might be old random data waste inside your user folder, you might also migrate some of the causes for a slow computer back to your new installation.

I don't know what happens if you just copy your ableton library folder and if you drop it in again after a true clean install w/o user migration. back up everyting in advance, maybe give it a try and share your experience with us, I'd be interested.

Cheers,
Danny

gnurf

Post by gnurf » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:48 am

If you want a less drastic way to get rid of cruft, go download Grand Perspective and let it show you visually where the big chunks of data are. It helps me find stuff I downloaded and forgot about (my Downloads folder is chaotic), VM images I don't really need, archives of instruments I haven't put on the storage disk etc. It's a little manual work, but your settings are safe. Sometimes you might even discover a program created craploads of logs in Application Support/ or Caches/. A few hundred megabytes a day worth of program logs add up ;)