Ableton Live vs. Logic Pro 9....

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
eddiex

Re: Ableton Live vs. Logic Pro 9....

Post by eddiex » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:30 am

fifedawg wrote:
eddiex wrote:
fifedawg wrote:As an Every-Man/DJ/Music enthusiast/40-something noob to the DAW production thing, I must confess that I was humbled when I first stepped to Live 8 early in 2011. Totall lost and confused. But I never gave up, and after alot of Youtube vids and pestering the guys at Guitar Center, I've made some headway. My background was all analog with MPC's, vinyl and CDJ turntables; Ableton has taken my enjoyment of music to a whole new level.

But in this post, I'm comparing sampling/chopping in Live and Logic Pro, which I also own. In short, the process to chop a song in logic requires slicing, pasting, moving, et al...like 2-4 steps. And the exs24 sampler in logic is not the easiest to deal with.

After an 45-60 mins of working with logic, i slid over to Live 8, and loaded a song, sliced it, chopped it, and was playing the sample in literally 8 minutes. Now, I'm not dissing logic; I'm sure its fine for those who love it. But, with sampling/slicing, session and arrangement views, effects, etc...Live is the most intuitive DAW i've used. Along w/ Logic Pro, I also own Maschine...which I'm quite fond of because it plays well w/ Live also.

Again, I am a Newbie...but this is my 2 cents. Ableton has made music more fun than ever. And when Live 9 drops w/ AUDIO TO MIDI>>>>THE GAME WILL NEVER B THE SAME.

Peace
just out of curiosity, you aren't, A TRIBE CALLED QUEST Phife Dawg, are you? :D if you are, your stuff rules! I just bought "the low end theory" on vinyl last week.

Wish I was, but not quite (he spells his "Phifedawg")......but you're right: Their music RULES!!! I highly recommend you get their entire catalog. Low End certainly is a classic, but "Midnight Marauder's" may be their most pivotal work. The Documentary is dope, as well!!! Peace!!
yeah i love midnight marauders....i own that one too, so classic! i liked the documentary too, although it's been a little bit since ive seen it. what is crazy is, those guys are only like 5 years older than i am....when i was in high school, those dudes were in their early 20's dropping iconic albums.
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:37 am

Yep I find that the moment I have a basic sound something that works I better get it recorded in arrangement view. Otherwise I am stuck in loopland for ever.

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:22 pm

eddiex wrote: About logic, I wonder if there will be a logic 10? I know the latest version of final cut is supposed to be the last, I wonder if logic will be the same way?
That's a good question, I've been wondering about that too. It seems like Apple doesn't really care about Logic anymore and only wants to sell their hardware. Obviously this is all speculation but with the recent business actions they've been taking I wouldn't be too surprised.

poonti

Post by poonti » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:28 pm

kanuck wrote:
eddiex wrote: About logic, I wonder if there will be a logic 10? I know the latest version of final cut is supposed to be the last, I wonder if logic will be the same way?
That's a good question, I've been wondering about that too. It seems like Apple doesn't really care about Logic anymore and only wants to sell their hardware. Obviously this is all speculation but with the recent business actions they've been taking I wouldn't be too surprised.
Wouldn't a new version with a bunch of new features drive hardware sales? I'd be very surprised if they weren't working on Logic X...

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:30 pm

poonti wrote:
kanuck wrote:
Wouldn't a new version with a bunch of new features drive hardware sales? I'd be very surprised if they weren't working on Logic X...
you'd think....but they definitely discontinued final cut, what makes logic different?

wildcon

Post by wildcon » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:39 pm

Hi,

Thought I'd chip in on this one.

I went from Cubase to Live (V3) and was blown away completely by how easy and more importantly fun live was.

However I got frustrated when doing more traditional recording (mainly Guitar) and bought Logic Express. I tried that for a while and
got frustrated and came back to live.

However, I then bought the MacPro ipad videos for Logic and my workflow was transformed. I've been using Logic for everything other than the initial ideas of my songs.

As has previously been posted once you take the time to learn things with Logic (and it does take time!) you can literally fly along. The key commands and also the multiple audio take / swipe functions are superb. I admit it's looking a bit long in the tooth, but something about the workflow has made me actually complete stuff rather than spending forever messing about in Session View.

Both has their plus points.

Oh and the other main factor - On live 8 still crashing like a f*cker!!! Logic totally solid :)
MacBook Pro, High Sierra, Live 10, Logic Pro X, Komplete 12, Audio Damage, Fabfilter, Camel, Waves plugs.

steko

Post by steko » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:51 pm

Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:55 pm

Live 8 is working fine for me and i will be happy to upgrade to Live 9 on March 5th, but i bought Logic anyway. i wanted to see what all the hype was about and now that i have a Mac i might as well give Apple the rest of my money (-249 for Suite 9).

i have nothing further to add, but the notion of a Live vs. Logic thread is interesting to me given the 199 i dropped earlier this week...

*bookmark*

more cool shortcuts, words of wisdom and methods please! thx

H

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:48 am

yeah final cut x, is the last version of final cut apple is releasing, they are discontinuing it...if final cut x is the last version... why would logic x be any different?
Last edited by eddiex on Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

outsidesys

Post by outsidesys » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:51 am

One of my favorite things about Logic was using the numeric keypad for transport controls. Having them all in one place was great. I can't remember if they were configured out of the box, or if I customized them:

0 = Play, Play from last SPL position
Enter = Stop, Return to beginning
* = Record
. = Pause
1 = Back One Bar
3 = Forward One Bar
4 = Back 4 Bars
6 = Forward 4 Bars
/ = Select All following the SPL

I remember configuring these too:

L = Loop selected
M = Mute selected
Ctrl+M = Mute selected track
S = Solo selected

Page Up/Down = Zoom In/Out Horizontal
Ctrl+Page Up/Down = Zoom In/Out Vertical

Oh, and using screensets. Man I miss those.

steko

Post by steko » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:08 am

eddiex wrote:yeah final cut x, is the last version of final cut apple is releasing, they are discontinuing it..
Where do you get that from???
Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:00 am

steko wrote:
eddiex wrote:yeah final cut x, is the last version of final cut apple is releasing, they are discontinuing it..
Where do you get that from???
my girl is in film school, her school just switched over to X which apparently is a totally different program and everyone hates it. her school said they are discontinuing final cut.
however, in trying to find a more reputable source, i found out that they only discontinued final cut express, server and 3 applications from studio. :?

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:59 am

Well, it would be kinda daft to do a complete re-write of FC and then discontinue it, no?

i.e Apple aren't discontinuing it.

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:17 am

dazzer wrote:Well, it would be kinda daft to do a complete re-write of FC and then discontinue it, no?

i.e Apple aren't discontinuing it.
:lol: if you are going to be a butthole about my mix up, at least use proper english. Apple "isn't" discontinuing it.

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:58 am

anyways, it doesn't change the fact that they radically rewrote FC X, and not for the better. (from what i understand, final cut users are pissed)
it makes me worry about logic's future. they have already discontinued EXPRESS, which is the version i have. they have turned logic into an "app-store" only app. and drastically cut the price.
why wouldn't there be rumors about apple, getting out of the creative software game?