Bass Tones! You mean I can't just pick one at random?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
patrick.olson86

Bass Tones! You mean I can't just pick one at random?

Post by patrick.olson86 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:19 pm

Hello people!

You may have seen my first question regarding programming bass that I posted last week, and now it's time for a follow up on that!

So, my question now is how to dial in a great bass tone? Usually, I'm pretty partial to "natural" bass sounds; meaning sounds replicating an electric bass or upright. Generally, the type of music I program (trip hop/downtempo) use these types of sounds for the bass to try and emulate an old soul bassline or whatever.. Or maybe they even are sampling an old bassline, who knows? (or maybe even layering an old sample with midi notes to fatten it up.. ooooo! the posibilities are endless!)

With that being said, do you guys have any tips to dial in a great sounding electric/upright bass sound? And then if you'd like to expand on that with any tips or trick you have for mixing these types of sounds around drums, that'd be awesome too! (example - upright bass sounds quiet and weak, how would you beef it up and EQ it to sound silky smooth yet punchy enough?) Basically, what I'm trying to figure out is how to get a great sounding "classic" hip hop drum and bass sound?

One other thing - I know we all have lots of samples and sounds, but to keep this consistent, do you guys have any recommendations on the stock Suite 8 bass sounds that are good for this type of production?

Ok, I'll cave in, anything goes these days so feel free to talk about any Analog/Digital bass sounds too! :mrgreen:

H20nly

Re: Bass Tones! You mean I can't just pick one at random?

Post by H20nly » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:21 pm

yeah i saw that last thread. i could quote myself, but let's just roll with *bookmark* instead. :wink:

thanks in advance!

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:32 pm

My approach is a bit of a hectic approach. I like to have a good swag of choices and basically I always start from scratch on every project (I don't normally borrow a bass instrument or drum kit directly from another project).

When I start to add my Bass track it is normally after I have done the drums and other instruments (unless the idea started with a bass riff). Basically the process is similar each time where I decide if the project needs a synth bass, acoustic or a hybrid. I then start looking for bass sounds that are close to what I need\want while playing a loop of the track. I create a simple bass track without all the accents and nuances and then I start tweaking things like phase/offset and always play with the EQ8 at the end of the chain.

Depending on the bass sound, if it is a sub bass or purely for low end I will high cut the very top but leave everything under about 1k and then to get a good relationship with the bass drum and other low instruments I will create fine Q peak and move this around (normally at MAX to start with) to see where I can boost the bass to fit with the other elements. This is where I may tweak for hours because it may then require bouncing to the drums to tweak them, then to other instruments to adjust their space. That is where the ears start getting stressed so I normally take 15 minute breaks every hour or so and I always go directly back to where I was at the next day just to listen fresh.

With acoustic/slap/funky bass it's a little more involved because you have a lot more EQ in the sound to muck around with. As new elements are added to the song and other things are tweaked it requires re-tweaking (like with everything).

Then there are the days where I decide the bass I worked for hours to get right just does not fit and I have to start again.

In terms of what I use... I try everything. I use NI quite a bit (Retro Machines in Komplete) along with the Scarbee bass etc but I also use Analogue, Raw Wav samples, Omnisphere... Whatever gives me the sound that seems to fit.

Keen to see others process because mine is a refined "pick one at random" affair.

patrick.olson86

Post by patrick.olson86 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:32 pm

I re-read my original post and I must have been wacked out or something, because it makes no sense and is all over the place.

But, ^ what JesterMcGee posted is right on the money. Looking for those types of responses. Basically, the process you go through trying to select bass sounds and then your process on getting them to sit right in the mix.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:37 pm

jestermgee wrote:Keen to see others process because mine is a refined "pick one at random" affair.
this is where i'm at too. i play my bass and record it, but even that is like a shot in the dark at times... i'm more of a roll the dice type musician than the learned sort. :oops:

rap masta rj

Post by rap masta rj » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:44 pm

A hard and sharp cut at 400-600hz usually does wonders for me when trying to get a smooth tone, but it is personal preference. My 2c.