Odd shaped room...need suggestions

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Commander Cody

Odd shaped room...need suggestions

Post by Commander Cody » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:35 am

I recently moved in to a home that has a room that was once a carport.SCORE!!!! the problem is the odd shape. It's basically a 16 x 8 rectangle, but the height on one 16ft wall is 6ft high, and the other 16ft wall is 10ft high. I have my monitors set up on the 6ft side and the bass is extreme! Would moving them to the other side of the room help?
Live 8 Suite / APC40 / M-Audio Keystation61 / Sylenth1 / Technic SL 1200 MK2
http://soundcloud.com/screaming-buddha

spacecat

Re: Odd shaped room...need suggestions

Post by spacecat » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:22 am

Hi:)

Keep them on the 6ft side and apply acoustic treatment...

Alternatively, think of moving them to the 8ft wall... Apply acoustic treatment...

:)

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:29 am

Yeah, if Bass is the issue it's not going to be solved easily without something to stop the reflections.

Look at making some bass traps. They are quite simple to build and most of the materials can be found at the hardware store. Look for the thick acoustic insulation batts (rockwool use to be the suggestion but there are alternate options) and spend an afternoon buildiung the basic pine frames etc. Start with just 2 about the size of a door and place on an angle in the corners of the room. For your situation you could custom make the size and make them deeper if need be. It costs about $100 for all the parts for a single trap which is cheap when you look at the other options.

Have a look round for some ideas.

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:53 pm

Thanks for the input guys. I'm also wondering if the pitched ceiling would cause a lot of "wubbyness"(yes that's my technical term),with it bouncing off the back wall and sending it basically at where I'm sitting? :?:
Live 8 Suite / APC40 / M-Audio Keystation61 / Sylenth1 / Technic SL 1200 MK2
http://soundcloud.com/screaming-buddha

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:20 pm

Any ceiling/wall/floor will create reflections.

It's my understanding that tight angled corners should be avoided, because they tend to become a place where the bass is 'trapped'.... so if you have your monitors set up at the 10' wall, then you should consider some bass-trapping/sound absorption material in the corner between the ceiling and the back wall.... this could help the wub..

Conventionally, bass-trapping in the corners of the room is a good place to start, but other important places to do acoustic treatment are directly above and to the sides of the listening position.
web | fb | sc | twt | bc