Please Help me find out how to use the bcr 2000

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
naknone

Please Help me find out how to use the bcr 2000

Post by naknone » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:04 pm

Hello everyone,
I'm a dj and recently i purchased a used behringer BCR 2000 (it's working properly i guess)in order to take my dj sets to the next level.
i wanna be a music producer too someday.
I would like to know how to use this midi controller with the ableton live. (version 8.2.2, which i installed a few days ago in my laptop).

i searched on google about it and found out a program called "BC Manager" but i've no idea about it and i'm kinda desperate.
i would really like to know how to map this , but the thing is that i'm a total noob and i cannot understand how it works.
finally, i would like to let you know that i want to use the bcr 2000 with the novation launchpad (i think it's a great combination) and the nanokontrol 2.
finally , i'm wondering if there is any custom mapping for my setup)and how to reset my device (if you recommend this to me) because its used, even though i installed the latest drivers '1.10' and everything seems to be fine.
Thanks everybody, I appreciate your time and effort to help me out.

GUY SMILEY

Re: Please Help me find out how to use the bcr 2000

Post by GUY SMILEY » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:44 pm

i ran into a similar situation when i bought a BCF2000 recently.
This may be of use to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L1NdpsITCA

I found that turning the BCF off, and then selecting the top left button (top row far left) when turning on put it into 'native' mode.
once i'd done that i went to preferences and selected BCF2000 as the control surface and BCF port 1 as the in and out port allowing me to use ableton's custom template.
It's capable of a lot more, but this should get you started i hope.

GUY SMILEY

Post by GUY SMILEY » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:45 pm

alos this if you're feeling brave
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bujwi7xWyXM

naknone

Post by naknone » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:45 pm

i followed the ableton video about how to connect my bcr 2000 : (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_BemRHRjJ4)
but i still have some issues
i will have a look tomorrow about all these and the videos youve shared for me and i'll let you know.
it's my first time using ableton and i have to focus on the tutorials (again)

Also, i figured out that 2 of the encoders are having some problems, (they are working but they're not responding that fast because of the usage i guess)
is there an easy way to fix it?
i searched the forum and found this one : (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56878)
(i won't bother if i have to open my device to repair/replace these rotaries)

thanks for your feedback

GUY SMILEY

Post by GUY SMILEY » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:33 pm

i really wouldn't get bogged down with taking apart something like this and trying to repair endless encoders. you're on a fast track to disappointment there i'm afraid.
I would focus on getting your head around ableton a bit more first maybe ?
once you know how the midi mapping of the programme works you may feel you don't need to do anything too clever with the bcr ?
a couple of knobs on a unit that well equipped shouldn't be a massive problem initially at least.

the only fundamental thing which i can share with you re: these behringer units is that there are different 'modes' which can be enacted by holding down each of the top left 6 buttons on start up. this detail isn't in the manual which is what bogged me down for ages.
shut-down unit. hold top left button = mode 1 - behringer native
shut-down unit. hold top third in from the left button = mode 3 - mackie emulation etc etc.
sorry, i can't find the website (again) where i discovered that detail, but it's pretty key to getting to the unit to work.
beyond that, i'm not sure i can be of much use.. i only got mine a couple of weeks ago and am still sussing stuff out..

good luck :)

revoltcrew

Post by revoltcrew » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:54 pm

i recently bought this.
what i do is set preset 16-19 to be all CC's.
and then i can map whatever i want to all knobs and buttons.
and they are saved with set.
100000greenCanaries are either violin0rGreen
http://sunfalls.org ||http://soundcloud.com/sunfalls || http://vimeo.com/sunfalls

naknone

Post by naknone » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:57 pm

today i found out how to "reset" my presets using the factory presets('bcr only controllers'), which i found in the behringer website.
i managed to do this using the program bc edit which is in the behringers bcr 2000 download section too.
i came up with the bc manager program but i find it extremely difficult to deal with
i think i should take a break with my bcr 2000 because i wont figure this out.
i will do my best this weekend understanding the basics of the ableton live and maybe give this damn a try and see if it works for me, and next in a couple of days i ll let you know

1 fast questions if you dont mind though

1)how to manually map my preset(s) through the preferences of live (i go to "midi ports" and set track and remote of my BCR input port 1 on),next i think that i have to press the midi function "ctrl + M" , but it looks like i can't set this

this thing is driving me crazy,i think i'll take a break
have a nice weekend 8)

solger

Post by solger » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:00 pm

naknone wrote:i managed to do this using the program bc edit which is in the behringers bcr 2000 download section too. i came up with the bc manager program but i find it extremely difficult to deal with
The BCEdit hasn't been updated since a couple of years and it looks like it still needs an old Java version 1.4.x to work. Otherwise you might get a Timeout-error when you try to save a preset back to the BCR. If you get the BCEdit to run though, it usually is enough for basic parameter editing and preset importing/saving.

In comparison, the BCManager is the up-to-date editor and also has more features than the BCEdit.
It might take some time to get used to the BCManager (and its window-layout), but if you do a couple of parameter changes, etc... , you will get familiar with it pretty quickly.
1)how to manually map my preset(s) through the preferences of live (i go to "midi ports" and set track and remote of my BCR input port 1 on),next i think that i have to press the midi function "ctrl + M" , but it looks like i can't set this
You are almost there:

(1) Enabling only [remote] should be enough, but enable it for both input/output, so the values on the BCR will be updated, when you move a (midi-mapped) control in Live.

Enabling [track] is useful, for instance, if you want to play a midi-instrument or trigger a drum-rack with the buttons of the BCR. Therefore usually the buttons also have to be mapped to note-values.

(2) To open the midi-mapping window, either press Crtl+M or the [MIDI]-button in the top right corner.
(3) With the computer-mouse select a control element (fader, knob, ...) in Live you want to map.
(4) Turn the control on the BCR you want to use. If successful, you should see a new entry in the mapping list and a mapping-value next to the control element in Live.
(5) When finished close the Midi-map window (Ctrl+M or Midi-Button) and you are good to go.

If you need additional infos about this, check out chapter 25 in Live's manual.
i will do my best this weekend understanding the basics of the ableton live and maybe give this damn a try and see if it works for me, and next in a couple of days i ll let you know
In addition to the manual, you can also use directly in Live
o) Help -> HelpView or
o) View-> Info which gives you some basic info about elements in Live when you move the mouse-cursor over them.

If you haven't already found it, here's the link to the whole getting started-series: https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/tags/tutorial/
Last edited by solger on Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

naknone

Post by naknone » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:21 pm

hello!
A big thanks for your reply.
first of all i will study the manual it is the most crucial for me at the moment. next, im going to give bc manager a try this week or the next one.
you are right about the behringers bc editor software, today i came up with some problems with it .

Also,do you recommend me focusing on the bc manager manual (which i find really big for me,- so many pages- but that's ok..) or you suggest me search the internet?you have any links for me?

To conclude ,one last thing for now.
i sketched in a paper how to program my bcr 2000 and i think the best way (for one preset)let's say, is to map the first set of rotaries (they are 8 per encoder = 32) for 4 effects for each tracks, for example panning reverb ,etc.
and the other rotaries could be the equalizer for each track, i'm not sure about it for now,
the thing is that i dont have any ideas to come up with and i didnt managed to find any preset or ideas for the ableton live on google.

(^ i wanna start djing with the ableton live using the bcr 2000 and i'd like to expand the possibilities of it, in the studio when i'm prepared for it.)

sorry guys for the trouble so far,

I'll be off, reading the manual and some tutorials.
i'm not feeling ready to dig the BCR at the moment.

solger

Post by solger » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:33 pm

naknone wrote:Also,do you recommend me focusing on the bc manager manual (which i find really big for me,- so many pages- but that's ok..) or you suggest me search the internet?you have any links for me?
As far as I know there are not (m)any additional tutorials about the BCManager. If you do a search, you will find more about the BCF/BCR in general, like in forum posts (here) or at the BC-group: http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/bc2000/.

I would suggest, start to play around a little bit with the BCManager and (only) have a look into the manual if you encounter any problems on the way.
Once you have figured out the basic workflow (make/import/save presets, edit a button, knob, ...) the rest is pretty straight forward.

Otherwise feel free to post questions and I'll try to help out.
i sketched in a paper how to program my bcr 2000 and i think the best way (for one preset)let's say, is to map the first set of rotaries (they are 8 per encoder = 32) for 4 effects for each tracks, for example panning reverb ,etc.
and the other rotaries could be the equalizer for each track, i'm not sure about it for now,
the thing is that i dont have any ideas to come up with and i didnt managed to find any preset or ideas for the ableton live on google.
Well, if you start from scratch, it might takes some mapping-iterations until you have a mapping you are happy with. Because it can be often the case that at the time you are testing your mapping, some fresh ideas come to mind how you can change/optimize it :D

I guess the 'bcr only controllers' preset might be a good starting point, since all control elements are already set up with MIDI-values and you basically (only) need to map them to the functions in Live.

You might also find some additional hints/videos, if you search via google/youtube for something like 'Ableton DJ Templates'.

kevwestbeats

Post by kevwestbeats » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:32 am

naknone wrote:Hello everyone,
I'm a dj and recently i purchased a used behringer BCR 2000 (it's working properly i guess)in order to take my dj sets to the next level.
i wanna be a music producer too someday.
I would like to know how to use this midi controller with the ableton live. (version 8.2.2, which i installed a few days ago in my laptop).

i searched on google about it and found out a program called "BC Manager" but i've no idea about it and i'm kinda desperate.
i would really like to know how to map this , but the thing is that i'm a total noob and i cannot understand how it works.
finally, i would like to let you know that i want to use the bcr 2000 with the novation launchpad (i think it's a great combination) and the nanokontrol 2.
finally , i'm wondering if there is any custom mapping for my setup)and how to reset my device (if you recommend this to me) because its used, even though i installed the latest drivers '1.10' and everything seems to be fine.
Thanks everybody, I appreciate your time and effort to help me out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adAbTUG3cvA
http://www.KevWestBeats.com
http://www.YouTube.com/DjKevWest
http://www.Facebook.com/KevWestbeats
http://www.Twitter.com/KevWestBeats

Live 9, Komplete 9, Maschine MK2, IK Total Studio, XLN Audio Addictive Keys and Addictive Drums, All of FXpansion's fx.