Are you getting PUSH?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Are you getting PUSH?

Yes, on march 5
33%
Yes, later when the price goes down
32%
No.
34%

Total votes: 195

login

Are you getting PUSH?

Post by login » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:20 am

So, are you anxious to get your hands on one?

I really want it but 600 USD seems a lot for a midi controller, so I will probably get it later in a sale.

ezelkow1

Re: Are you getting PUSH?

Post by ezelkow1 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:42 am

yea, once i found it for 450$ i couldnt say no anymore, if you could only find it for 600 though I probably wouldnt have

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:27 am

APC40+MPD32 im set. 8)

however, it's my birthday in two weeks, if you guys all want to put your money together and get me the push/suite9 upgrade....i wouldn't refuse it. :wink:
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:37 am

What I do with all hot new tech is wait and see what the bleeding edge adopters discover. The promo videos only cover what a product does well, never what it can't do. The early adopters will reveal the rest. I'm not really the target market though.

I could be proven wrong, but I think I understand the sort of user this device (and L9), is created for: they'll be happy to download a factory pack of beats, flip through the packs previews, and slap down some dubstep/trap beats/ 808 techno through a drum machine interface. That's fine, but that's not how I like to work these days.
I prefer the precision of the computer screen over the inevitable grid of the drum machine, I need VSTs, surgical edits and instant access to my own sounds (not factory stuff). so the more I've seen of the product he more it seems designed for someone NOT like me.

I hope I'm wrong, but all the promo seems oriented toward the way I worked, and the music I made, in the mid-90's. ( I was very into drum machines back then, and the style of music they like to create)?

I understand that 90% of abletons customers make some form of EDM, it's me who is using the wrong software. I get that.

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:40 am

That is the only thing I see right now that I wouldnt find useful, is that it is very much geared towards ableton's own content, which except for the new orchestral stuff I dont really use that much. Im more in it for the step sequencer/drum usage, and the chord modes, so Im not too bothered by the browsing stuff. I figure I can start putting all my effects vst's into racks and have them stored in the library if need be but really I think I could just drag n drop faster than scrolling through the menus on push anyway

Hopefully they'll eventually put in browsing for plugins, and m4l devices if it isnt there already

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:57 am

Yeah I have a rule that ANY new controller or software should already be established at least 6 months before I even consider it. If you are making music and using Live Right Now then you can get by without it.

I always consider the first 6 months of any new hardware/software to be the testing period where you find out all the issues the beta testing missed and what the limitations are.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 am

I'm still on the fence I guess. I'd like to try it and see how it works, but I'm not sure how much I'd actually use it. My APC40 sits inthe closet unless I'm doing a live laptop set, so I'm not sure sure if Push will be any different.

Oh who am I kidding, I'll probably get one...
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:27 am

I already enjoy playing notes on my Launchpad and Maschine. They each have pretty restrictive qualities when it comes to playing expressively and experimenting. LP has 100% velocity all day long. I compensate with Velocity fx, slight random, but that doesn't directly apply to my playing. Maschine is fun also, same format as LP, except with velocity, yet, you're restricted to an octave plus 3 notes range. You can octave up and down etc, but it gets old.

I knew the moment I saw the images that this controller would be very intuitive for playing. It never surprised me when people posted links to vids of people just dinking around and happening to sound good haha

Plus for the other things I'm interested in hen using Live, it is very direct. It is very direct overall (right down to having colored pads for the clips :P)

Edit: I forgot to mention also my obsession with accessing macros of instruments within drum racks. That has bugged me for soo long!

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:41 am

where's the "my awesome fiance already preordered it for me" option? 8)

schullermusik

Post by schullermusik » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:48 am

I like the idea of Push, but as I already have a APC 40 and like having faders, I'd need to sit down and play with Push to see if it's really $300 better than what I already have.

kevwestbeats

Post by kevwestbeats » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:01 am

nope. I am not even sure that I will be upgrading to Live 9 probably not especially since March 5th will be a busy day for me. Wedding anniversary, Tomb Raider and the new Mass Effect DLC Citadel coming out all on March 5th Live 9 is way down on the bottom of my to do list especially since I don't care about it.
http://www.KevWestBeats.com
http://www.YouTube.com/DjKevWest
http://www.Facebook.com/KevWestbeats
http://www.Twitter.com/KevWestBeats

Live 9, Komplete 9, Maschine MK2, IK Total Studio, XLN Audio Addictive Keys and Addictive Drums, All of FXpansion's fx.

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:35 am

i'll upgrade to live 9 but have no inclination to get that push thing. i'll stick with my uc33e, joystick and one stringed midi bass controller fcb1010 combination cheers

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:14 pm

Still don't know... Hesitating between a new DIY controller and Push... Need to know how flexible it is.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:23 pm

same here, i need you guys to test one ASAP!

is it really useful as an 'instrument', or is it just a glorified step sequencer???

Timbeaux

Post by Timbeaux » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:42 pm

I'll probably get one, cause iam using my LP in this way. But i need velocity and aftertouch.

But i dont wanna buy it when its released. I will wait until my equipment dealer sell it as b-stock and test it then (thx good for the 14 days payback guarantee :) )