All times are UTC

 
 



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next

Are you getting PUSH?
Yes, on march 5 33%  33%  [ 65 ]
Yes, later when the price goes down 32%  32%  [ 63 ]
No. 34%  34%  [ 67 ]
Total votes : 195
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Are you getting PUSH?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:01 am 

Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:47 pm
Posts: 1536
Location: Plymouth the great
Its got akai pads,clip launching capacity at least equal to a launchpad, 10 rotaries, and loads of buttons to control recording and transport... Plus a really deep remote script. Sell your akai, keyboard and launchpad... Maybe get something with linear faders on it. I won't get one.. too much cash, but its a nice bit of kit if you want Live to be a groove box delux.

_________________
All I can think about is this. 70 minutes of burnt out raver and radiophonic gamelan|Cloud deployment unit


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Are you getting PUSH?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:22 pm 

Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:38 pm
Posts: 441
pencilrocket wrote:
Best drum pads : MPC style.
Best keys : Keyboard.
Best clip launcher : APC, Launchpad, etc.

So where should I put PUSH in?


From my pov...its about the button pusher that doesn't want to play keys. I have always found keys awkward to use and unfamiliar. but throw me on a spread of buttons and I am golden. It really comes down to preference. Personally I will be using this in combo with touchable as my clip launcher.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Are you getting PUSH?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:00 pm 

Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Posts: 12993
Location: The Wild West
i'd tell you where to put PUSH in, :twisted: but it would be inappropriate and be the beginning of the second flamewar in less than two pages.

:arrow:

*leaves to smoke cigarette*


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Are you getting PUSH?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:03 pm 

Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:27 pm
Posts: 636
pencilrocket wrote:
Best drum pads : MPC style.

That couldn't be further from the truth.

Out of all the options for pads available out there like Maschine, padKontrol, triggerfinger, axiom...etc. (with the exception of Novation Remote line which were laughably rock hard and Korg microKontrol which were buttons, not pads), Akai pads (MPC/MPD/MPK/LPDs..etc) are by far the least sensitive and the least responsive pads, period.

In terms of responsiveness and sensitivity, it goes like this from my experience:
Maschine > padKONTROL > Triggerfinger > MPC/MPD

All Akai pads have a gap between the pads and the sensors which make them prone to missed triggering or double triggering due to the lack of sensitivity. I consider this to be an inherently flawed design but I also realize that some people have gotten used to how different Akai pads are such as being able to just rest your finger on the pad and just pushing down instead of tapping to trigger. Anyway, this is why Akai pads are only good for percussive triggering while they suck at expressively playing sustained notes, for example. This is also why people who own Akai pad devices end up having to install pad fix modification kits with a risk of rendering it useless if you don't do it right: viewtopic.php?p=1294516#p1294516

From what I can tell though, Push's pads were not designed (only built) by Akai so that shouldn't be a concern for Push.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Are you getting PUSH?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:20 pm 

Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:31 pm
Posts: 22
humnumb wrote:
Out of all the options for pads available out there like Maschine, padKontrol, triggerfinger, axiom...etc. (with the exception of Novation Remote line which were laughably rock hard and Korg microKontrol which were buttons, not pads), Akai pads (MPC/MPD/MPK/LPDs..etc) are by far the least sensitive and the least responsive pads, period.


Have you tried the new pads on the Akai Max49? They are actually super sensitive and are vastly different than the MPD/MPK pads.

_________________
http://soundcloud.com/mutebutton


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Are you getting PUSH?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:33 pm 

Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:02 am
Posts: 3494
Location: Menasha, Wisconsin
He said MPC 'style'. As in 4x4 somewhat wide pads. Which all of those would fall into that same category.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Are you getting PUSH?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:36 pm 

Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Posts: 12993
Location: The Wild West
LPD8 pads are 8)

i think they're the same ones on the Max49

definitely a step up from MPD series pads.


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Are you getting PUSH?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:12 pm 

Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:27 pm
Posts: 636
yur2die4 wrote:
He said MPC 'style'. As in 4x4 somewhat wide pads. Which all of those would fall into that same category.

I'm pretty sure that by "MPC style", he meant Akai pads, and not "pads with a 4x4 layout".

H20nly wrote:
LPD8 pads are 8)

i think they're the same ones on the Max49

definitely a step up from MPD series pads.

I don't know about Max49 but I know the LPD8 has the same exact problems as other Akai pads. They get the same complaints of low sensitivity which is why people also go through the trouble of doing pad fix mod for the LPD8: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xF60AZWICo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Are you getting PUSH?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:27 pm 

Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Posts: 12993
Location: The Wild West
well youtube links aside the pads are not the same on both units. i like the LPD8 pads much better. i wish my MPD24 had the same ones. but pads are like shoes... some people will like them and some will hate them. MPC - case and point. you say you hate the very pads that at least 2 decades of hip hop depended on. JDilla liked em. different strokes i guess. *shrugs*

back on the MPD.. i need a copy of the 1.09 firmware for the MPD24 but Akai has taken it down off their site and relegated the 24 to Legacy status in favor of the MPD26. do any of you have a copy of, or a [working] link to, the 1.09 firmware update?

if so, can you please, pretty please, share that with me??

my MPD has been misbehaving lately AND i've always wanted the transport control to work on it, which that update apparently addresses.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Are you getting PUSH?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:46 pm 

Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:27 pm
Posts: 636
H20nly wrote:
well youtube links aside the pads are not the same on both units. i like the LPD8 pads much better. i wish my MPD24 had the same ones.

This is from the review of the LPD8 I also linked to earlier: "The pads are velocity sensitive, though I found it a bit hard to get low velocity hits. The pads require quite a bit of force to register a hit. No problem for my son who prefers bashing over tapping, but personally I would prefer a lighter touch similar to the pads on Native Instruments Maschine. I have found some information online on increasing sensitivity by putting some electric tape under the pads. I might have a go at that." You'll find similar reviews all over about the LPD8's pads.

H20nly wrote:
but pads are like shoes... some people will like them and some will hate them. MPC - case and point. you say you hate the very pads that at least 2 decades of hip hop depended on. JDilla liked em. different strokes i guess. *shrugs*

It's not just a case of "different strokes" or mere preferences though. During the those 2 decades that the MPCs existed, there weren't many other alternatives available like today. If Maschine, padKontrol, triggerfinger...etc. existed back then, they would still have wiped the floor with Akai pads in terms of sensitivity/responsiveness as they do today.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Are you getting PUSH?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:08 pm 

Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:02 pm
Posts: 762
Location: South of London
humnumb wrote:
In terms of responsiveness and sensitivity, it goes like this from my experience:
Maschine > padKONTROL > Triggerfinger > MPC/MPD


I can completely agree about the 'vanilla' MPD pads, they are shocking beyond belief. I actually thought mine were faulty at 1st before I read about the corx Modifications. Talk about dropping the ball there Akai, they must have had their interns working on them. :)

I can't speak about pre-MPC Ren machines as I haven't had any experience with them but I have had some hands on time with the MPC Ren itself and have to disagree with you. They have, imho, a really nice feel to them and are very responsive to subtlety (index & middle finger nuances).

I would put them on a par with Maschine's jelly pads which have a slightly looser feel to them, but with both you can do some fine work with.

This actually gives me hope for Push as this would ultimately be the deal breaker if they got the pads wrong.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Are you getting PUSH?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:48 pm 

Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 2:14 pm
Posts: 192
Push looks an interesting concept if you are a DJ, use loops exclusively, build complex patterns on the fly and for live work. Using synths, even virtual ones, I'm not so sure? I know when I'm playing note 'A' - I'm playing note 'A', and when I'm play 'C', 'E' and 'G' C major chord when I use a midi keyboard - pressing buttons will mean you will have to map what notes are where.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Are you getting PUSH?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:53 pm 

Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 2:14 pm
Posts: 192
timday wrote:
I was thinking of getting one but then the MS-20 mini came out and I just had to pre-order one of those. So now I don't have any money left. I don't regret my decision though.

Yes, I know, they don't do the same thing AT ALL. But MS-20.


MS-20 mini - will be worth more overtime... plus knowing Korg they will run a batch then retire the MS20 mini after a few years. The MS20 is a classic and I can see the mini being a new classic. I've pre-ordered mine!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Are you getting PUSH?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:04 pm 

Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Posts: 12993
Location: The Wild West
humnumb wrote:
H20nly wrote:
but pads are like shoes... some people will like them and some will hate them. MPC - case and point. you say you hate the very pads that at least 2 decades of hip hop depended on. JDilla liked em. different strokes i guess. *shrugs*

It's not just a case of "different strokes" or mere preferences though. During the those 2 decades that the MPCs existed, there weren't many other alternatives available like today. If Maschine, padKontrol, triggerfinger...etc. existed back then, they would still have wiped the floor with Akai pads in terms of sensitivity/responsiveness as they do today.

but... essentially... what you just said is that they work fine.

some of the most legendary albums that the hip hop genre will probably ever see were made with them... before it was all about being a thug and alcohol and cloths and recording albums in your living room.

to keep with the shoe analogy; it's like you're saying Magic Johnson or Larry Bird could never have been such key players without a dope pair of Nike Air. :?

remember, these are DRUM pads not keys. they're not meant to be pussy footing around with. they're meant to be hit.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Are you getting PUSH?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:27 pm 

Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:28 pm
Posts: 1322
panten wrote:
I can't speak about pre-MPC Ren machines as I haven't had any experience with them but I have had some hands on time with the MPC Ren itself and have to disagree with you. They have, imho, a really nice feel to them and are very responsive to subtlety (index & middle finger nuances).

The pads on the Ren are also no different to other Akai pads. They may all have slightly different "feel" to them but their fundamental design flaw is the same which is why they still have a poor response in comparison to what's available.

panten wrote:
I would put them on a par with Maschine's jelly pads which have a slightly looser feel to them, but with both you can do some fine work with.

Actually I got to do a side-by-side comparison between them and the difference is night and day. On Machine I can put in a synth patch, and play it smoothly on the pads. Do trills, fast type stuff. On the Ren, when I did the same thing (same sound) I got some double triggers and it was not near as fluid sounding due to the lower sensitivity.

From what I've read though I don't think the pads on the Push will have this problem as they won't have Akai designed pads but Ableton designed pads that happens to be built by Akai.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next

All times are UTC

 
 

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group