Are you getting PUSH?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Are you getting PUSH?

Yes, on march 5
33%
Yes, later when the price goes down
32%
No.
34%

Total votes: 195

panten

Re: Are you getting PUSH?

Post by panten » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:52 pm

Tysonviolin wrote: Btw. Wtf are you guys arguing about?
Is Maschine better than everything else I think. :)

sorry that was slightly facetious of me

DJTIVA

Post by DJTIVA » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:58 pm

I will probably not get Push. On first sight I thought wow but for me and my setup it`s not a good match.

Tysonviolin

Post by Tysonviolin » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:18 pm

panten wrote:
Tysonviolin wrote: Btw. Wtf are you guys arguing about?
Is Maschine better than everything else I think. :)

sorry that was slightly facetious of me
Maschine is very good. I love the pads, but I only compose with it. I performed with it for 2 years but found it was too resource heavy to use the way I would have wanted.

Observer-A

Post by Observer-A » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:40 pm

Push looks amazing but I still love my APC40 too much to replace it.

Definitely want to give it a try some time though.
Ableton Crackhead and Habitual Drum Hitter
Observer-A.com
DustedGroove.com
Soundcloud

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:40 pm

Tysonviolin wrote:Maschine is very good. I love the pads, but I only compose with it. I performed with it for 2 years but found it was too resource heavy to use the way I would have wanted.
How were you trying to use it live? What's interesting is that I've found Maschine in standalone mode to be much better at resource allocation than running as a plugin, even though it doesn't have multicore support yet. Loading the same exact Maschine project with identical plugins will struggle in Live as a plugin (with nothing else loaded) but runs smooth in Maschine standalone.

TheDreamisReaL

Post by TheDreamisReaL » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:33 pm

delicioso wrote:
Tysonviolin wrote:Maschine is very good. I love the pads, but I only compose with it. I performed with it for 2 years but found it was too resource heavy to use the way I would have wanted.
How were you trying to use it live? What's interesting is that I've found Maschine in standalone mode to be much better at resource allocation than running as a plugin, even though it doesn't have multicore support yet. Loading the same exact Maschine project with identical plugins will struggle in Live as a plugin (with nothing else loaded) but runs smooth in Maschine standalone.
It's time for NI to invest in Maschine, a overhaul of software is much needed I do believe it has the opportunity to advance to a complete daw like workstation but simple things like a mixer and a straightforward way to arrange the songs is much needed, that scenes bs needs to go....I think Maschine is a really great product even minus some key things but it took some time to get to 1.8....I just think if your a heavy Live user like myself Push is going to the complete package...Prior to push ever being announced I was using my qwerty keyboard with all of the keyboard shorts to fly around Live so I think people saying not being able to slice from the Push controller or copy drum rack pads isn't a issue for those who have all there drum rack presets and know there way around Live.....I've personally had the chance to use push in Atlanta with a buddy of mines whos a ableton artist and my advise to people writing it off without demoing it first is to WAIT AND GET YOUR HANDS ON IT! I was blown away on how all of the features integrate really well and the videos don't do it justice at all. APC, Launchpad or any other controller for Live does not compare by a long shot....Maschine is a beast in it's own lane and now Ableton has the same with Push

davidsl222

Post by davidsl222 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:44 pm

I'm going to wait and see what the real users are saying about it and then maybe I will get it if it seems to be something that is truly great and something that I can have some unique use for and some fun with.

I recently bought a Maschine MKII for $499 at Guitar Center and am really loving it. While figuring out how to use it with Ableton and my other NI stuff I saw a bunch of posts about the original Maschine and the MKI version and I saw the growth over the versions based on user feedback (complaints.)I'm guessing Push needs to go through some of the same growth.

At least right now I don't see Push being a replacement for what I have. That said, I'm not a live performer or a audio pro. I'm only a dilettante when it comes to audio production.

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:49 pm

TheDreamisReaL wrote:It's time for NI to invest in Maschine, a overhaul of software is much needed I do believe it has the opportunity to advance to a complete daw like workstation but simple things like a mixer and a straightforward way to arrange the songs is much needed, that scenes bs needs to go....
Funny because Maschine does have "simple things like a mixer and a straightforward way to arrange the songs". Maybe you're expecting it to behave and look like something else that you're already used to instead of bothering to learn to use it on its own terms? I don't agree that it should "advance to a complete daw like workstation" if by that you mean that it should work like most traditional full-on DAWs with a linear timeline and bloated mouse-centric features. What do you find to be bs about scenes? It's very similar to Live's scenes and clips in session view. It even had realtime recording of clip automation (which Live still doesn't have, until Live 9 is released) when it first came out 4 years ago.

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:52 pm

in my mind, the question has become push, or livid base, if only because after being monome based for so long, a 4x4 grid simply feels primitive.

panten

Post by panten » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:07 pm

TheDreamisReaL wrote:I think people saying not being able to slice from the Push controller or copy drum rack pads isn't a issue for those who have all there drum rack presets and know there way around Live
I dunno man, I think if Push had some ability to do this from the controller I would be 110% sold and immediately place an order.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZFY5oRrY8A

This is the only thing that prevented me from preordering Push.

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:16 pm

i absolutely think there is still a great deal of potential for a audio track control that has not been implemented. Right now, in track mode theres nothing to do when you select an audio track. Imagine if the pads allowed for loop brace control of a playing audio track, similar to how the drum racks bottom right quadrant responds. And, of course, if they ever get round to fixing the 'move_playing_position' api call to allow for mlr style resequencing, that would be very good too. Not to mention slice to midi etc. It'll be fun to delve into the python script to implement this (it would be better not to have to involve user mode for control of audio tracks, i see user mode as a means of completely changing the functionality of the device, rather than simply extending it, as i suggest here).

panten

Post by panten » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:50 pm

Hopefully Ableton will be updating the docs for the LOM and we'll be better able to determine what can and can't be done with creating our own Sample Chopping device.
I have pretty limited knowledge when it comes to things like this, I've only just started learning M4L.

The way I see it there are a few things Ableton could do to implement slicing to drumRacks from the hardware with more control.

- Threshold control over transients (similar to how FXPansion Geist does it)
- Control over manual placement of warp markers.
- Slice to drumRack with option to scroll down the slicing presets.
- Control over not just the Sample Start/End Points but also the Marker Start/End points.

This isn't even discussing the ability to sample straight to drumRack pads. I just never see this happening to be honest, and I wouldn't mind so much if there were actually workarounds but there aren't.
I fear I might be left with my own M4L hack job in the end but I'm going to make a post about this subject on the beta forum.

I just can't get over how ironically named Lives 'Sampler' instrument is.

TheDreamisReaL

Post by TheDreamisReaL » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:53 pm

panten wrote:
TheDreamisReaL wrote:I think people saying not being able to slice from the Push controller or copy drum rack pads isn't a issue for those who have all there drum rack presets and know there way around Live
I dunno man, I think if Push had some ability to do this from the controller I would be 110% sold and immediately place an order.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZFY5oRrY8A

This is the only thing that prevented me from preordering Push.
that can't be 110% deal breaker for a controller like push, slice to drum rack takes all of 5-10 seconds depending on how long the sample is your slicing and BAM its there with my slice preset and macros setup ready to go.....

TheDreamisReaL

Post by TheDreamisReaL » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:57 pm

lo.key wrote:i absolutely think there is still a great deal of potential for a audio track control that has not been implemented. Right now, in track mode theres nothing to do when you select an audio track. Imagine if the pads allowed for loop brace control of a playing audio track, similar to how the drum racks bottom right quadrant responds. And, of course, if they ever get round to fixing the 'move_playing_position' api call to allow for mlr style resequencing, that would be very good too. Not to mention slice to midi etc. It'll be fun to delve into the python script to implement this (it would be better not to have to involve user mode for control of audio tracks, i see user mode as a means of completely changing the functionality of the device, rather than simply extending it, as i suggest here).
the Macros can be used to adjust loop start/end points among other common used controls depending on what you have setup, ive seen it with my own eyes, i used audio loops i dropped in and was able to macros to what i wanted

TheDreamisReaL

Post by TheDreamisReaL » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:21 pm

humnumb wrote:
TheDreamisReaL wrote:It's time for NI to invest in Maschine, a overhaul of software is much needed I do believe it has the opportunity to advance to a complete daw like workstation but simple things like a mixer and a straightforward way to arrange the songs is much needed, that scenes bs needs to go....
Funny because Maschine does have "simple things like a mixer and a straightforward way to arrange the songs". Maybe you're expecting it to behave and look like something else that you're already used to instead of bothering to learn to use it on its own terms? I don't agree that it should "advance to a complete daw like workstation" if by that you mean that it should work like most traditional full-on DAWs with a linear timeline and bloated mouse-centric features. What do you find to be bs about scenes? It's very similar to Live's scenes and clips in session view. It even had realtime recording of clip automation (which Live still doesn't have, until Live 9 is released) when it first came out 4 years ago.
no legit mixer in maschine and by far the number one most hated thing from producers i work with on a regular basis who use maschine day in day out is the scene mode & arranging and one of the main reasons the were ready to trade for the MPC Ren as soon as it came out.... when were getting ready to track out the record they use drag and drop or export...from what ive seen with maschine users is that the scene mode is just not straightforward when it comes to arranging a complete song can it be done yes not saying it cant....one of the big reasons people have loved the mpc is because of simple things like song mode, pad layers, real good time stretching and its what has kept the mpc around for a long time: workflow. 1.8's major feature update was offline time stretching to me it made no sense when they first launched maschine to not include time stretching all the sampling abilities but no time stretch but it had clip automation lmao! the only similar thing about scene mode compared to ableton scenes is the name other than that they arent even close.......

i do think there next update needs to be major multi colored and a time stretch isn't anything ground breaking......all it takes is a trip over to maschine forums and see what maschine users are requesting and that scene mode comes up a lot as well as key things like multicore, sidechaining, mixer, pad layering things that should be standard on a product like that....