Most efficient way to use synth as controller and for sounds

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
CancerRidden

Most efficient way to use synth as controller and for sounds

Post by CancerRidden » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:09 am

So I have a Motif XS6 that I would like to use as both a MIDI controller and also as the sound generator but kind of struggling to figure that out I guess.

WOuld it have to be a two step process? ie. use the motif to record the MIDI data, then switch to sound generation mode, and then feed the recorded MIDI back into the synth to record it as audio, back into the DAW?

artpunk

Re: Most efficient way to use synth as controller and for sounds

Post by artpunk » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:04 am

CancerRidden wrote:So I have a Motif XS6 that I would like to use as both a MIDI controller and also as the sound generator but kind of struggling to figure that out I guess.

WOuld it have to be a two step process? ie. use the motif to record the MIDI data, then switch to sound generation mode, and then feed the recorded MIDI back into the synth to record it as audio, back into the DAW?
If I understand correctly, if you have a soundcard that handles both midi and audio i/o then you could record your midi input as you play as well as input your audio into an audio channel on the fly. Of course if you want to edit and tweak your midi data then you will need to do that afterwards in Live, then route it back to the Motif and record the output that way.

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records

outsidesys

Re: Most efficient way to use synth as controller and for sounds

Post by outsidesys » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:19 am

In addition to what artpunk wrote, there are some things to consider when integrating a multi-timbral keyboard workstation with a DAW.

Most workstations have 2 MIDI modes:

"Local On" which allows the keyboard to play the sounds in the worstation, but does not send out the MIDI (note & controller) data. In this case, the DAW will not be able to record the MIDI data.

"Local Off" which blocks the keyboard from playing the sounds in the workstation, and instead sends out the MIDI data. The sounds in the workstation will only play when it receives MIDI data.

So to integrate your DAW, the DAW needs to receive the MIDI data from the workstation so you can record it, and the DAW would send that same MIDI data back to the workstation so the sounds are played.

Additionally, within the DAW you can choose to route the incoming MIDI data to another device instead of back to the workstation. That other device could be an integrated instrument within the DAW, or it could be another external instrument that also receives MIDI data.

You should definitely read up on how the Motif sends/receives MIDI. It could be with a USB cable, it could be with traditional MIDI cables, or it could be both. If your only option is traditional MIDI cables, then your computer will need a MIDI interface that supports this.

Then read up on how to setup Live to send/receive the MIDI data to/from the workstation, and how to use Live's External Instrument device.