MSEGs in Zebra - a video! - Will Marshall

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

agent314

Re: MSEGs in Zebra - a video! - Will Marshall

Post by agent314 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:07 pm

Nice work on the video, man!

Good content, but a few critiques:

-Too much talking not attached to doing. If a video is more than 10 minutes, I expect a LOT of content or a lot of ground to be covered. This one has a good amount of stuff to it, but I feel like it could have been cut down/tightened up to ~10min without losing too much.

-The volume of talking was far too quiet compared to the volume of the synth itself. Had to crank my speakers to comfortably hear what you were saying, and then when the actual synth sounds started, it was blasting.

-Have a planned step-by-step for what you will be doing with regard to the actual synth settings. It felt like you were making it up as you were going along, which is fine, but it ends up making you not seem as knowledgeable as you are.

Otherwise, very helpful - and it inspired me to try out some MSEG tricks on my own, which I haven't touched in forever. :)

Btw I do e-learning stuff for a living, so I'm probably more sensitive to the things I mentioned above than a lot of your audience. Figured I'd share what little I know :D

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:54 pm

Great inspiring stuff. Never been interested in MSEGs and been trying to do that kind of stuff with LFOs, but now I see their power. Thanks.
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

willrjmarshall

Post by willrjmarshall » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:53 pm

agent314 wrote: -Too much talking not attached to doing. If a video is more than 10 minutes, I expect a LOT of content or a lot of ground to be covered. This one has a good amount of stuff to it, but I feel like it could have been cut down/tightened up to ~10min without losing too much.
Yup. It's the first I've done in a long time, so I'm working on tightening up the presentation.
agent314 wrote:-The volume of talking was far too quiet compared to the volume of the synth itself. Had to crank my speakers to comfortably hear what you were saying, and then when the actual synth sounds started, it was blasting.
Mic issues. I spent the rest of the day resolving them so I can get cleaner sound :)
agent314 wrote:-Have a planned step-by-step for what you will be doing with regard to the actual synth settings. It felt like you were making it up as you were going along, which is fine, but it ends up making you not seem as knowledgeable as you are.
]

This is actually something I disagree with, somewhat.

Pre-planning presentations teaches students, by implication, that there is a "technique" or a "correct" way to program the synthesizer, like a recipe. Good sound design is fundamentally an exercise in exploration and play, so I think it's important to show that in sound design videos by demonstrating how *I* would play in the studio.

That said, in future I would want to list all the specific features I want to show, and make up sounds as I need to demonstrate these features.
agent314 wrote:Otherwise, very helpful - and it inspired me to try out some MSEG tricks on my own, which I haven't touched in forever. :)

Btw I do e-learning stuff for a living, so I'm probably more sensitive to the things I mentioned above than a lot of your audience. Figured I'd share what little I know :D
Thanks man! Really useful feedback.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:03 pm

That said, in future I would want to list all the specific features I want to show, and make up sounds as I need to demonstrate these features.
Yeah, this is exactly what I mean - having a plan of attack and then being able to improvise within that makes it much more fluid than having to think of what to do on the fly.

Great work though - looking forward to more :D

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:49 am

Thanks Mark,

Levels much better on this one :)

It would be great if you could zoom in on Operator, seeing as though it is quite small.

Other than that, I thought this was a great video.

willrjmarshall

Post by willrjmarshall » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:58 am

I thought about it, but I recorded (and uploaded) the video at 1080p, so if you up the quality it's easy enough to read :)