"Box sold separately." How's that work, with an upgrade?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
justjohn_jj

"Box sold separately." How's that work, with an upgrade?

Post by justjohn_jj » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:19 pm

I'll be wanting to upgrade to Live 9 Suite, but I'd also like the box.

Among other things, I like having a physical manual around.

So how would this work? Pay, download and pay a bit more for the box, in the same session?

What's the price on the box?
* Radio Free Entropy: http://just-john.com/jjMusic

SpeedKing

Re: "Box sold separately." How's that work, with an upgrade?

Post by SpeedKing » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:19 pm

I had emailed Ableton this same question a while back.

If you got Live 9 through the current upgrade offer, than that upgrade offer is for the electronic version of Live 9 only. But, if one wants the manual or box, since the upgrade offer wasn't for the boxed version, then you will just need to buy the manual and/or box separately when they become available.

Danny_DJ

Post by Danny_DJ » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:34 pm

I just got an answer on such question. It seems that there won't be BOXED VERSIONS but separate boxes w/ installer DVDs and the manual.

Unlike Live 8, there isn't any additional Live Library Content in the box anymore.

The 8 Box was 34 Euros. New prices aren't out yet.

justjohn_jj

Post by justjohn_jj » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:05 pm

Danny_DJ wrote:I just got an answer on such question. It seems that there won't be BOXED VERSIONS but separate boxes w/ installer DVDs and the manual.

Unlike Live 8, there isn't any additional Live Library Content in the box anymore.

The 8 Box was 34 Euros. New prices aren't out yet.

Let's see if I'm jumping to the right conclusion here:

-- I can upgrade to Live 9 Suite online (assuming my pathetic net connection can handle the download)

-- Once I've got the license from doing that, I can come back and purchase the box for probably less than fifty bucks, give or take.
* Radio Free Entropy: http://just-john.com/jjMusic

andydes

Post by andydes » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:09 pm

I think so. If it comes with DVDs, you probably won't have to download it/all of it before the box arrives. But don't take my word for that.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:18 pm

i've always purchased the box - since version 6. i bought version 6 at Guitar Center... but the way it has worked for me is as follows... i bought 6 box and authorized it... and/or later i bought the box with version 7 & 8 both directly from Ableton and in both scenarios the authorization/purchase then allowed me to download Live 6, 7, 8 etc. Once the box arrives i install the additional content, flip through the manual (in my lap) with my fingers, stick Ableton stickers on stuff, and use the media as coasters if i want.

if i remember correctly it has cost me about 10 extra dollars U.S. to do this each time with the exception of Live 6 which was a killer deal at G.C. days before 7 was released.

so, no you don't have to download before the box arrives, but typically you can.

CFM

Post by CFM » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:47 pm

Upgrade price is for download only! Last time Ableton charged me 17 Euros + postage for the box. I'm hoping there will be an add 'buy box' option when upgrading. Most of the content may not be different but there are always tweaks to sound library's plus I believe there are a few new ones - which will mean a full 50GB download.

Last time I did not even bother downloading anything and waited for the box - so much easier, 50GB with my internet connection Live 10 would be out.