All times are UTC

Post subject: Volume issue with two instruments
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:02 pm 

Hi there,

when I play my arrangement two instruments increase their volume automatically.
There's no written automation for them. Both are audio clips. When I set the volume to e.g. -3.00db and hit the space bar, after 8-16 bars the volume goes up to +6db.
Does anyone has a clue?

Thx.

Post subject: Re: Volume issue with two instruments
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:08 pm 

Are you saying you dropped the gain on each track to -3.0 dB? Or you reduced the gain so that each instrument peaks at -3.0 dB? Or did you turn the Master track down to -3.0 dB?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:30 pm 

TeBesius wrote:
Hi there,

There's no written automation for them. Both are audio clips. When I set the volume to e.g. -3.00db and hit the space bar, after 8-16 bars the volume goes up to +6db.
Does anyone has a clue?

Why exactly would the volume be constant? If you're talking about the master volume, it's simple. Frequencies from all tracks add up. If you got a bass and a kick for example hitting the same frequency range, that area will have get a higher volume when summed (as in the master).

How are you reading the volume? On Live's meters only? Do you hear any clipping when this happens? How "hot" are the recording, i e what's the peak and RMS volume?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:00 pm 

Stromkraft wrote:
TeBesius wrote:
Hi there,

Does anyone has a clue?

Why exactly would the volume be constant? If you're talking about the master volume, it's simple. Frequencies from all tracks add up. If you got a bass and a kick for example hitting the same frequency range, that area will have get a higher volume when summed (as in the master).

How are you reading the volume? On Live's meters only? Do you hear any clipping when this happens? How "hot" are the recording, i e what's the peak and RMS volume?

Hi, thx for the replies.
Well, I set the the volume on the right hand side. Doing so I dragt the mouse until the track volume of e.g. -3db appears. It's the orange one below the yellow track activation button.
When I play the arrangement you can hear and see the volume is increasing. However, there's automation in the tracks and the increase happens un-regularly, meaning not always at bar 8 or so.

Lately I've installed the upgrade to v 9.7.1...maybe it's a bug..? I don't know.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:39 pm 

TeBesius wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:
TeBesius wrote:
Hi there,

Does anyone has a clue?

Hi, thx for the replies.
Well, I set the the volume on the right hand side. Doing so I dragt the mouse until the track volume of e.g. -3db appears. It's the orange one below the yellow track activation button.
When I play the arrangement you can hear and see the volume is increasing. However, there's automation in the tracks and the increase happens un-regularly, meaning not always at bar 8 or so.

Lately I've installed the upgrade to v 9.7.1...maybe it's a bug..? I don't know.

Do a screen dump and describe the signal path, the automation and the dynamics of the tracks. Otherwise hard to speculate.