All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who has dared to follow their Ableton passion?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:51 pm 

Well, I've been thinkin much about all this.
To my mind what happens is that music industry is moving into internet. What this means is that people can download everything from torrents. So How is it possible to make money from music? Only to get that famous to gather thousands on concerts like X-Japan does?

So I sadly say to myself that music will be a hobby. Untill sometime maybe I will accidentaly make a hit :)

https://soundcloud.com/marat-bakirov

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:00 pm 

Some words of inspiration about following your heart and doing exactly what you want to do: http://tinyurl.com/cykjoah

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:40 pm 

mutant23 wrote:
Some words of inspiration about following your heart and doing exactly what you want to do: http://tinyurl.com/cykjoah

That's what I do - nights and weekends. Just doing. Today I finished my second track and will post it on the appropriate forum.

The only problem is that my job is such that to be sucessfull I need to learn at nights and weekends:(.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:53 pm 

I feel your pain man. I'm right behind you at 38. I seriously want to follow my dreams. Everything comes at a cost. Are you willing to pay it? Are you willing to sacrifice? Are you willing to be focussed longer than you want to be?

I would (and do) try to be wise about your dreams though. I wouldn't spend all my savings. I would set a 5 year plan- where you see your self in 5 years and then break it down into what steps have to happen to get there. Then start tackling each step. You may end up somewhere you didn't expect or learn some things along the way that change your vision but it's the journey that makes you feel alive.

Oh, and you should really read this book. I did and it really helped me define some things and gave me great advice. The author Jon Acuff comes from a Christian background and uses some of his experience in examples but don't let that turn you off, it's not too preachy and has some really good advice for someone EXACTLY in your shoes. http://www.quitterbook.com/

Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:24 am 

Great posts guys, and thanks for the links. I can feel myself getting closer to making the change....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:22 am 

mbakirov wrote:
Well, I've been thinkin much about all this.
To my mind what happens is that music industry is moving into internet. What this means is that people can download everything from torrents. So How is it possible to make money from music? Only to get that famous to gather thousands on concerts like X-Japan does?

So I sadly say to myself that music will be a hobby. Untill sometime maybe I will accidentaly make a hit :)

http://www.littlewhiteearbuds.com/feature/everything-popular-is-wrong-making-it-in-electronic-music-despite-democratization/

live 9.1.2, OS mavericks, push, stray's script, MPD32/LD8, stc, access virus kc, and my life is a never ending tub of awesome

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:29 am 

Great article. That is my thoughts but much more detailed.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:40 am 

Yeah that is a cool article - thanks for posting

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:29 am 

So, has this thread inspired anyone to follow their Ableton™ passion?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:52 pm 

I've followed various ableton passions over the years. It' a great kit. I've made somewhat of a serpentine path around actually dj'ing with it in a large capacity, but it has led me to collaborate on a series of interesting interactive installations, performances and collaborations. While on one hand it has led me to appreciate things like supercollider and processing via max/msp, I really hope to sometime be able to start making some major money designing custom setup for myself and others.

The problem I have is getting past the novelty of the kit rather than using for a purpose, and so even though I just made the upgrade I won't even let myself install it until I have clear goal, vision or purpose.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:12 am 

Hi to everyone who followed and commented on this thread. Well, I wanted to let you know that I quit my job and I am going to take some time to work on music - say 1-2 years. If I end up having to go back to a corporate job, well, I will still be much better at music and I'll be satisfied with that. But if I can somehow pay some of my bills through something connected with music - brilliant. Luckily I have enough saved up to make this happen (although not without future sacrifices, I am sure).
Wish me luck! I'll let you know how it goes.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:09 am 

Well done and good luck!

live 9.1.2, OS mavericks, push, stray's script, MPD32/LD8, stc, access virus kc, and my life is a never ending tub of awesome

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:59 am 

see you soon in BCN

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:09 pm 

Good good Luck to you, sirjames.
I am similar to your age and still dreaming and workimg whole nights through to become a musician who pays his bills from doing, what his heart says.
Coming from an tiny country like Austria, its not easy, believe me.
And never think of that your family or even friends partners, like my wife really understand what i am doing whole nights trhu...
There has to be much Luck
There has to be much Passion
There has to be some crazieness
some risks crossthinking but still focused to stay cler in the head next day.
This music business is crazy as hell but also lovely as hell, You deside.

Sorry for my english, i am native german speaking, have to practice a bit.

Cheers Alex

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:37 am 

Thanks guys :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next