Who has dared to follow their Ableton passion?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
krsfire

Re: Who has dared to follow their Ableton passion?

Post by krsfire » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:40 am

good luck man. im happy to hear that there are guys like you who are not afraid to chase their dreams. Im slowly growing up to same conclusions that its just worth to try. Once agian all the best and.. thank you.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:20 am

thegoodsirjames wrote:Hi to everyone who followed and commented on this thread. Well, I wanted to let you know that I quit my job and I am going to take some time to work on music - say 1-2 years. If I end up having to go back to a corporate job, well, I will still be much better at music and I'll be satisfied with that. But if I can somehow pay some of my bills through something connected with music - brilliant. Luckily I have enough saved up to make this happen (although not without future sacrifices, I am sure).
Wish me luck! I'll let you know how it goes.
good luck!

thegoodsirjames

Post by thegoodsirjames » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:33 am

Thanks again guys. I'm pretty realistic that it's going to involve some very hard work, some fear and loathing, and probably some unexpected negatives on top of those. But on the other hand I feel so liberated to have this opportunity. It is scary because we are not doing the usual, ie earning hard now to ensure we have a house, pension etc for the future. But then, here is a good quote I was reminded of today:

The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, answered:
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”

My current (until a few weeks from now) job is good and well paid, but I can feel myself dying inside. And as I mentioned way back in my first post, I sometimes feel as if I cannot breathe because everything is telling me to do something creative, something connected with music. Perhaps it won't take me to where I imagine/hope now that it will - but it will certainly take me somewhere new that I am probably supposed to go. And if I can do it (wife, 2 young kids, no house ownership, aged 42, savings enough to last 2-3 years but only if we do not have our own house, pension, etc, and no musical training!) then perhaps others can too :). Yes it is an 'if' but I've purposely made the stakes high, and that will help propel me somewhere. One thing is for sure, doing music in a couple of exhausted hours between work and sleep was going to take me nowhere :)

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:14 am

Congratulations on taking the Big Step man. Keep us up to date on your progress! I've quite my steady job myself a couple of weeks ago to start freelancing, and hopefully open up some time for other activities including music. It's pretty scary, suddenly to not have a steady income and being responsible for finding your own clients (luckily I'll still be able to do the occasional job for my old employer). I've also got some savings though so I've got a bit of time to get up and running and if all doesn't work out in the end, I can always get another job somewhere.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:45 pm

at the end of the day... having a loving wife that is supportive in this endeavor and not divorcing you for trying is an accomplishment in and of itself. you're already successful.

supahd

Post by supahd » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:44 pm

Great thread!

Really like the onion article!! Not sure if everyone knows but that's a satire website :lol:

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:38 pm

H20nly wrote:at the end of the day... having a loving wife that is supportive in this endeavor and not divorcing you for trying is an accomplishment in and of itself. you're already successful.
This cannot be over-stated.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Steve Ballmer

Post by Steve Ballmer » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:22 pm

H20nly wrote:at the end of the day... having a loving wife that is supportive in this endeavor and not divorcing you for trying is an accomplishment in and of itself. you're already successful.
And how is the missis treating you?
"Like what you like, enjoy what you enjoy, don't be afraid to make slurping sounds, and don't take crap from anybody."

thegoodsirjames

Post by thegoodsirjames » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:45 pm

Yeah you're not wrong about that H2only and Tarekith - 2 gorgeous kids too, who spin round and round with great big smiles on their faces when they hear my tunes, bless 'em.
The biggest challenge for me might be not doing my own head in with worries about how I should be living a conventional life for their sakes. As I said to my concerned mother in law, when corporate job opportunities present themselves, I will have to show great courage and stay firm in my resolve to remain unemployed :) but seriously, those worries will propel me to somewhere new, even if it's not where I imagine now. Bring it on!