SHARING WORK WITH FRIENDS (COLLABERATIONS) PLEASE HELP!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
re:dream

Re: SHARING WORK WITH FRIENDS (COLLABERATIONS) PLEASE HELP!!!

Post by re:dream » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:27 am

Yes, big file sizes are going to be a problem if you sync via dropbox, especially if the files are the results of freezing / flattening. Not sure Splice is any different. 16 G per project is VERY big.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:32 am

re:dream wrote:Yes, big file sizes are going to be a problem if you sync via dropbox, especially if the files are the results of freezing / flattening. Not sure Splice is any different. 16 G per project is VERY big.
How much storage do I get on Splice?
"Project storage is free and unlimited, forever. Storage space is a commodity, and we do not believe in making a profit from it. So, feel free to upload all your projects!"
That's just one reason why we moved to Splice.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:36 am

The_Subject wrote: Dunno if I'm approaching a breach of the rules here by promoting anti-copyright programs, BUT....BitTorrent Sync - a new thing I found the other day where you sync a folder on your computer/someone else's computer via BitTorrent, and (I haven't used it yet, I'm about to set it up for my project) in theory, it creates a torrent file that only you/they then have and automatically updates to newest versions, adds newest files etc.

Pro being, torrents are fast to transfer, and in theory this is all automatic and you're both constantly working from the same set of files - we could both even have the same project open (I play in ableton, we edit in cubase) so both have the cubase open and as I tweak my drum file and save, his drums will update, and as he does the synth, mine updates to...theoretically, although that may get into issues with file not found.
Believe it or not the torrent protocol was invented precisely for what you describe above. It was not invented for sharing copyrighted files, it's just that it caught on using it for this anyway. Torrent programs are not anti-copyright! Is a web browser "anti-copyright" if you download copy-righted files put on the web without permission from the copyright holders?
Last edited by Stromkraft on Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:41 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
re:dream wrote:Yes, big file sizes are going to be a problem if you sync via dropbox, especially if the files are the results of freezing / flattening. Not sure Splice is any different. 16 G per project is VERY big.
How much storage do I get on Splice?
"Project storage is free and unlimited, forever. Storage space is a commodity, and we do not believe in making a profit from it. So, feel free to upload all your projects!"
That's just one reason why we moved to Splice.
The issue is not space (you can get one terabyte for silly money on Dropbox). The issue is upload time. A track of 16 gigs would take forever to sync. It would probably be faster than DB but still..

I do agree, though, that Splice looks like a great solution for collaboration.

The_Subject

Post by The_Subject » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:40 pm

Believe it or not the torrent protocol was invented precisely for what you describe above. It was not invented for sharing copyrighted files, it's just that it caught on using it for this anyway. Torrent programs are not anti-copyright! Is a web browser "anti-copyright" if you download copy-righted files put on the web without permission form the copyright holders?
Yeah I know...I've mentioned Torrents on forums before and had a load of abuse for it, just covering myself! :lol:
16 G per project is VERY big.
that was a particularly big one, 20 min track with an orchestras worth (about 70 different) synths/drums/guitars/vocals/etc.

I'll post about BitTorrent Sync as soon as (assuming if) we get it working how it should be for what we're discussing here.