All times are UTC

Post subject: Another giant leap for a mouse.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:49 pm 

Hi, following on from my 2 part series on producing mouselessly in Live, I have a new trick. In Part 1 I showed how to use the mouse keys on a mac plus a better alternative. There is also mouse keys on pc by the way. The alternative is KeyRemap by Takayama Fumihiko. I asked him if he could help me add a draglock and he obliged. I've incorporated it into the custom private.xml file I made for scrolling on the keyboard without needing to turn mouse keys on. This draglock needs mouse keys on though, which makes sense.

So, in simple terms, you add the new .xml file and that's it.

Press N to lock (start) a drag and . to release it.

This means you can use KeyRemap to drag notes, extend their lengths, drag files in from the browser and lots more, in Mouse Keys mode.

If you want more control and less wrist-ache, here is your solution.

Easy ways to control Live 9

Scroll down (using ⌥▼ of course!) to section 4.

Post subject: Re: Another giant leap for a mouse.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:09 pm 

Just curious, why do you hate using a mouse so much?

To me it's like.. you can eat pasta without a fork, but if you have a fork sitting there why not use it?

Post subject: Re: Another giant leap for a mouse.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:31 pm 

Hi infernal, different reasons. First of all I got wrist problems about a year ago and at one point I could hardly use either hand for computing. I bought a trackpad and learned to use it with my left hand, but sometimes even that hurt. Now my right hand is a lot better, but even now sometimes it aches, eg scrolling on a trackpad sometimes. I've swapped the trackpad over to the left again and am using a vertical 3M mouse with my right hand. Problem with those is they don't scroll in Live. RSI affects millions of people by the way. Also I have arm problems so often I have to work one handed due to those.

The other reason is that I really like shortcuts, but not clumsy ones. I like easy one that require a thumb and a forefinger. I looked into shortcuts and at the same time discovered the two kinds of Mouse keys and iKey I now use all the time. In Live 9 there are even less opportunities for normal shortcuts that in Live 8. Hence my automated ones, which just happen to do loads more. For instance I use alt M for Mixer instead of cmd alt M, but not only does it open the mixer, it does so in Session and Arrange at the same time.

So, avoiding RSI and increasing speed/ease. For instance, scrolling using the keyboard with arrow keys is easier than even the mac trackpad in some ways. Certainly easier than using the 3M mouse. It's very controlled.

Another reason is that sometimes bluetooth mice stop working, so it's nice to have emergency backup.

The more you use the keyboard, the less you want to be stopping and reaching for the mouse. Of course I still do it, like I use the qwerty even though I'm learning Dvorak, it's habit, plus the learning curve.

A lot of people have had problems with the new Midi editor by the way, as you are probably aware, and using arrow keys for going up vertically-only for example immediately solves one obvious one.