Out Of Memory Error

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jtdj

Out Of Memory Error

Post by jtdj » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:06 pm

Hows it crashing with an out of memory error when the load bar at the top is only at 20 odd percent?

cotdagoo

Re: Out Of Memory Error

Post by cotdagoo » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:29 pm

pretty sure the thing at the top is a CPU meter.. unrelated to ram (memory)

savyurrecords

Post by savyurrecords » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:29 pm

Actually the thing at the top is a 'most utilized core' meter. Live uses multiple cores a little differently due to the 'real-time' nature of the program.

Like most meters don't read a whole lot into it. They are used for measurement of a single thing. Measurements are always approximations.

Back to your memory issue. What software instruments are you using? Large sample libraries like Kontakt can take up a lot of RAM.
I suggest turning some Midi tracks into audio (leaving the existing MIDI data) by duplicate/freeze/flatten. Then delete the plugin from the original track.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:15 pm

Go and download the 64 bit version of Live 8.4 from our account.
They haven't announced it yet, but it's there.

Make sure you have either a bridge, or 64 bit versions of all the plugins you need

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:04 pm

savyurrecords wrote:Actually the thing at the top is a 'most utilized core' meter. Live uses multiple cores a little differently due to the 'real-time' nature of the program.
Infotext calls it the 'CPU Load Meter' - where did you find info that it displays the most utilized core? I always assumed it was to be a calculation of all cores across all cpus.

savyurrecords

Post by savyurrecords » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:05 pm

CPU Load Meter would be appropriate if I was writing for public consumption. I basically got the info from various sources on this forum over the years. I tried searching but this forum lacks an easy way of doing so. Search results are too broad. I do seem to remember that a member of Ableton's team confirmed. But it has been a while so forgive me for not being more specific.

Quote from gearslutz.com (which does have a decent search function)

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-co ... -help.html

RaboontheBaboon wrote:

"This is because the Ableton CPU meter shows the hardest working core's load, rather than the overall load over your CPUs, whilst the OS one shows the lot averaged. Pretty sure I read that recently on this or Ableton's own forum.

As an addendum to that, plugins on the same track work off of one core. So you can have a project that'll run smoothly and seemingly have loads of processing power left, then suddenly it's choking because one track's got a ton of hungry plugins on it."

Try it yourself open your OS's CPU meter and watch as you play an Ableton song. They won't be the same unless you have a single core.

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:29 am

savyurrecords wrote:CPU Load Meter would be appropriate if I was writing for public consumption. I basically got the info from various sources on this forum over the years. I tried searching but this forum lacks an easy way of doing so. Search results are too broad. I do seem to remember that a member of Ableton's team confirmed. But it has been a while so forgive me for not being more specific.

Quote from gearslutz.com (which does have a decent search function)

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-co ... -help.html

RaboontheBaboon wrote:

"This is because the Ableton CPU meter shows the hardest working core's load, rather than the overall load over your CPUs, whilst the OS one shows the lot averaged. Pretty sure I read that recently on this or Ableton's own forum.

As an addendum to that, plugins on the same track work off of one core. So you can have a project that'll run smoothly and seemingly have loads of processing power left, then suddenly it's choking because one track's got a ton of hungry plugins on it."
Yeah, I don't really have the time to look this up, as cpu is not an issue for my i7. Just don't actually see anything being sourced from the info 'RaboontheBaboon' suggests.. It's as good as me suggesting it's an average across all cores.. a random person on a message board.. I was hoping you knew of something from Ableton.. not that I doubt the validity of RaboontheBaboon.. just don't see how it's a fact from his post ;)
savyurrecords wrote: Try it yourself open your OS's CPU meter and watch as you play an Ableton song. They won't be the same unless you have a single core.
I've done some testing and whatnot in the past regarding hyperthreading/cores.. guess my post above should have said average of active cores, since I know live doesn't use hyperthreading/use all cores at all times.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:29 am

essentially savyurrecords explanation is correct: the Live meter is showing how hard the CPU core that is doing the most work is getting slammed; this is because even if you had 1000 cores, and only one of those can't keep up then you will get glitches. the confusing thing is that the meter isn't showing raw CPU usage for that core, it's a ratio of how much time was used to do the required audio processing and the time available to do the computation before glitches might occur.

there is a good explanation of what the CPU meter is actually showing on the second page of this thread (the quote from Friedemann posted by Steko):

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=182623&start=15