Is Ableton 9 boxed or digital?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
alexjholland

Is Ableton 9 boxed or digital?

Post by alexjholland » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:56 pm

I'm currently running Ableton 8 suite; and have the boxes for both this and 7 sitting on my bookcase - these included the session drums, so skipping these for the sake of instant download seemed moronic.

I've been quoted £164 to upgrade to Ableton 9 Suite.

No mention of whether this is the boxed or digital version though? Any price or content difference if both still exist?

Any linked articles appreciated.

Cheers

jlgrimes

Re: Is Ableton 9 boxed or digital?

Post by jlgrimes » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:54 pm

[quote="alexjholland"]I'm currently running Ableton 8 suite; and have the boxes for both this and 7 sitting on my bookcase - these included the session drums, so skipping these for the sake of instant download seemed moronic.

I've been quoted £164 to upgrade to Ableton 9 Suite.

No mention of whether this is the boxed or digital version though? Any price or content difference if both still exist?

Any linked articles appreciated.

Cheers[\quote]

I think it might be download only for upgraders but I'm not 100% sure.

alexjholland

Post by alexjholland » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:04 am

Yeah.. Actually I started with 7 Suite (boxed) and qualified for 8 Suite upgrade free as it was so close.

Did that, then purchased the discs a while later.. Just because!

I can't remember if those discs gave me any extra content..

So if it is digital only, the question is: Will buying the Ableton Suite 9 discs give me any extra content over the download?

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:12 am

alexjholland wrote:Yeah.. Actually I started with 7 Suite (boxed) and qualified for 8 Suite upgrade free as it was so close.

Did that, then purchased the discs a while later.. Just because!

I can't remember if those discs gave me any extra content..

So if it is digital only, the question is: Will buying the Ableton Suite 9 discs give me any extra content over the download?
I doubt it. They will give you probably a nice printed manual and cool stickers and memorabilia.

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:21 am

As of Live 9 there's no difference between the boxed version and the digital version anymore. In fact there is no "boxed" version. The box is just something you purchase separately if you want.

If you buy and download the "digital version" (standard), you'll still be able to download anything on the Live 9 DVDs anyway from the Ableton website.

Now the box can still be purchased but it's completely optional. You only need it if you want a paper manual, a pretty box or if you don't feel like downloading 55 GB of sounds on your Australian dial-up internet connection.

alexjholland

Post by alexjholland » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:23 am

Hmm. Paper manual is useful, but harder to justify if there isn't extra content for £30-£40 also.

In UK, connection is currently 6Mb in UK. I guess the average connection has increased since 8.

CFM

Post by CFM » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:00 am

You are lucky if you have 6MB as I have 2MB.

There is no extra content in the boxed version. However if you download speed is like mine it will be much faster to buy the box than wait 5 days for 55 GB.

alexjholland

Post by alexjholland » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:11 am

Ouch. 55Gb?!

Cowlash

Post by Cowlash » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:26 am

CFM wrote:You are lucky if you have 6MB as I have 2MB.

There is no extra content in the boxed version. However if you download speed is like mine it will be much faster to buy the box than wait 5 days for 55 GB.
All of that.

I'm on 2meg here as well