Live 9 - 25% March 4th discount vs 40% student discount

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
BoddAH

Live 9 - 25% March 4th discount vs 40% student discount

Post by BoddAH » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:16 pm

After a 3 year Reason hiatus (which was actually pretty good for learning complex routing and such) from Live, I'm starting to get tired of the fun but awkward and slow way of working and miss the Live workflow and many features.

With the release of Live 9 there's probably never be a better time to get back to it and I want to get Live 9 Suite! :D

I am currently a student (until september if nothing goes wrong) and I'm wondering whether I should get the standard version of Live 9 with the current 25% discount (412 €) or the student version with the 40% discount (329 €).

My main questions are:
  • Will I still be able to use my Educational version of Live 9 when I'm not a student anymore (I'm guessing yes but I want to make sure)?
  • I'm still on the fence for Bitwig, will I be able to sell my Live license if Bitwig 1, 2, 3 (in a couple of years) happens to be awesome and I want to switch to it? I'm guessing I'll have to sell to another student, will this be easy or very difficult compared to just selling a standard licence based on your experience?
  • Will my educational version be converted into a standard version someday if I upgrade it to Live 10 or Live 11 with a standard upgrade or will my licence be considered "Educational" forever?
Thanks a bunch, either way I'm about to pull the trigger! 8)

The Northern Contingent

Re: Live 9 - 25% March 4th discount vs 40% student discount

Post by The Northern Contingent » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:47 pm

I'm not entirely sure how the student license works. If I were you I'd email Ableton customer support with your questions so that you have it in writing direct from them. Hearsay on the Ableton forum might not be the most realisable source for licensing questions.

On a general note, however, if you have the money I'd go for the full license. Makes life much simpler in the long run and will have a higher resale value.

dysanfel

Post by dysanfel » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:12 pm

I originally bought a Live 6 educational license. I believe my Live 7 was also educational. When I upgraded to Live 8 I wasn't in school so I got the regular upgrade and plan to do the same with Live 9. I don't see where there would be any problems upgrading later.
Gig Rig - rMBP 2.3GHZ i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, OSX 10.13.x, Presonus FS, Live 10.x
Home Rig - i9 eight-core Hackintosh 32GB DDR4, 2nd Generation Scarlett 18i20, ADA8000, JoeMeek SixQ, Live 10.x

The Northern Contingent

Post by The Northern Contingent » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:42 pm

Fair do - I'd still double check direct with Ableton. If you ever need to prove your eligibility in the future you have it in writing that you are allowed to transfer.

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:53 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Problem is that the 25% off the standard version is only valid until Monday 4th of march with Sunday in between.

I probably won't get an official response from Ableton until it's too late.

If I'm not mistaken the upgrade scheme for Ableton has changed.

With Ableton Live 8 and prior versions there were Educational licences for the original purchase AND Educational upgrade prices which meant the licence would remain an "Educational license" at all times.

With Live 9 things have changed and now only the original purchase is an "Educational license", the upgrades are the same, standard upgrades, with the same prices for everyone.

So my only remaining question is basically if my Educational license will turn into a standard license once I upgrade it to, say, Live 10 with the standard upgrade price.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:58 pm

BoddAH wrote:So my only remaining question is basically if my Educational license will turn into a standard license once I upgrade it to, say, Live 10 with the standard upgrade price.
Yes.

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:30 pm

R u sure? Does upgrading from an edu version really turn it into a standard version which can be sold to non-students as well?

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:12 am

Yes and yes

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:06 pm

btw correct me if I'm wrong but there's no real reason I should buy Ableton Live 9 now if I'm a student right?

I'll still get the 40% deal tomorrow when everybody else will pay the standard price (without the 25% discount) right?

Is there an actual advantage to owning "Ableton Live 8 with a free upgrade to Live 9" or is it exactly the same if I just get Live 9 directly (downgrading for instance if Live 9 is REALLY buggy).

:?: