Mono Synth: Re-trigger note while holding it down

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Dan13LP

Mono Synth: Re-trigger note while holding it down

Post by Dan13LP » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:00 am

This is kind of hard to explain, but I'm looking for a parameter that controls note release on a monophonic synth. What I'm trying get specifically is if I hold down one note, say a bass note, hit another higher note (while still holding the bass note), then when I release that higher note, the bass note will be automatically triggered again because I'm holding it down vs. having to manually re-trigger the note by pressing it down. I figured if the voices were set to mono (or 1), this is how it should behave, but it's not.

This is how a synth was working from my Rob Papen Albino3 plugin, and then all of the sudden it stopped doing this. I would hit the bass note, hold it down, trigger a higher note (while still holding the bass note), release the high note, and then nothing would be playing. The bass note was no longer playing, even though I am holding it down. Now I have to re-trigger the bass note by pressing a midi key.

If that makes sense to anyone out there, what sort of parameter should I be looking for to get that automatic re-triggering functionality back?

Thanks.

Machinesworking

Re: Mono Synth: Re-trigger note while holding it down

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:14 am

Portamento or sometimes a synth will have a "retrigger" type setting as well as portamento.
look in your manual for mono settings, and experiment with them. Mostly soft synths seem to have drop down menus with various retrigger/portamento behaviors..

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:31 am

I know massive has a legato triller option to do this under 'trigger' in the voicing tab. Not sure about albino, but i'm sure there's a similar thing.

Dan13LP

Post by Dan13LP » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:37 pm

Machinesworking wrote:Portamento or sometimes a synth will have a "retrigger" type setting as well as portamento.
look in your manual for mono settings, and experiment with them. Mostly soft synths seem to have drop down menus with various retrigger/portamento behaviors..
Portamento isn't exactly what I'm looking for. I'm not so much concerned as the time it takes to "glide" back in forth from two different notes, and as a matter of fact, I would want the portamento set to 0, so there's no glide at all.

I was almost certain, all I was looking for was mono vs. poly, and in the Albino3 manual I found this:

"One thing that may be confusing is the "mono" setting. It can be explained as follows. Say that you hold down one key and then press and release a second key. In the case of the "mono" voice setting, the first note will sound, and then the second note sounds. When the second note is released the first note
sounds again. This creates a "pedal tone" effect. "

Which is exactly what I want, the only problem is, when I have it set to Mono, it doesn't behave the way its suppose to. It used to, but now it doesn't, it's quite frustrating.

Anyways, if there are more suggestions out there, I'm all ears, otherwise, I'll probably try and poke around on an Albino forum somewhere.

Thanks for the responses.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:24 pm

Dan13LP wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:Portamento or sometimes a synth will have a "retrigger" type setting as well as portamento.

I was almost certain, all I was looking for was mono vs. poly, and in the Albino3 manual I found this:

"One thing that may be confusing is the "mono" setting. It can be explained as follows. Say that you hold down one key and then press and release a second key. In the case of the "mono" voice setting, the first note will sound, and then the second note sounds. When the second note is released the first note
sounds again. This creates a "pedal tone" effect. "

Which is exactly what I want, the only problem is, when I have it set to Mono, it doesn't behave the way its suppose to. It used to, but now it doesn't, it's quite frustrating.
Portamento was mentioned because most of the time the retrigger behavior of a synth is tied to it's other mostly mono behaviors.
RTFM I think I'm done, you're dealing with learning a discontinued synth.....

Dan13LP

Post by Dan13LP » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:45 pm

Yea I did read the manual, that's why I put a direct quote from it in my post. Was just trying to see if anyone had experience with it...