All times are UTC

Post subject: upgraded from downloaded, will i lose everything on install?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:57 pm 

i have just moments ago bought the discounted ableton 9 (well 8 with the upgrade) but have not installed it just yet. i have ben using a downloaded copy of suite 8 for a month or two. i dont like using it illegally, but i wanted to know this is the program i want to buy.

i have several tracks on there that i want to complete and mix. will i lose those files when i install the real ableton? i didnt buy the suite, just the regular live 8.

should i wait a while before i install the new one? im not sure how all this computer stuff works haha

cheers,
s

Post subject: Re: upgraded from downloaded, will i lose everything on install?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:10 pm 

Live 9 will go into it's own folder structure providing you pay attention to the installation. I am not totally sure on the library situation though. I just grabbed 8.4 64 bit and it is still pointing to my 32 bit 8/8.3.4 stuff. I will be starting a thread for that next.

So you are working with Live 8 in demo mode? You should have a license number if you ordered 9 already, no? Look into that via your account and you may be able to license 8 now and not have to worry about anything.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:49 pm 

darkenedsoul.

thats the thing, its that im using a pirated version of 8 and it is the suite. tho i dont really use the instruments (besides drum rack) im a lil scared that i will lose everything in the library

so i can register the 8 that i just bought, but i may lose everything i have recorded in my pirate...?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:22 am 

"collect all and save". the project files will be large, but you should not lose anything. be sure to take down your torrent (i completely understand the extended trial intentions btw).

i would just wait a couple days for 9.0 release and completely uninstall live 8, considering you do not have a large collection of projects to deal with. i saw a response that the live 8 and live 9 libraries will remain completely separate. you probably don't want a live 8 library sitting around taking up tens of GB storage for a couple sets.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:55 am 

Two things:

Probably the 8 version is behind in updates, check that. It could be possible that you can install both versions at the same time if it is behind 8.3

I would say you collect and save your projects and uninstall the pirate version then you install the legit one.