Machinedrum Sps1,UW,or Maschine and Spark combo.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
scpjrprius

Machinedrum Sps1,UW,or Maschine and Spark combo.

Post by scpjrprius » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:21 am

I have looked all over the internet,but I can't seem to find my answer.I just purchased a TI2 Virus Desktop,analog four,and Slimphatty.Now i'm looking to add a drum machine this time around.It would be nice to get hardware only,but if a combo of Spark and Maschine is better i'm all ears open.

I like the machindrum sps1 and UW model,but I don't know if I need the UW model lol.I also like the Jomox 999 and Tempest,but i'm looking for something all around like the machinedrum.I hear the interface is second to none on the machinedrum;however,I also hear the Jomox 999 and Tempest are limited and not as intuitive but have better sound because of analog filters.See this is info coming from the internet.People I find are too biased online,when it concerns their gear.Because of this I can't seem to make up my freaking mind.I've called several music outlets,and they're all biased too lol.I'm just looking for drum sounds that would be on par with my Virus.I have never sampled before,and i'm still confused if the UW model would be for me.

I plan to use Ableton Live 9 with this new drum machine.

I've looked at several videos online,and Nerd Revolt seems to use Maschine quite nicely with the TI2 Virus.I see more videos with Maschine and Virus,but Machinedrum and Virus doesn't seem to be as plentiful on youtube as Maschine and Virus.Just an observation.
Last edited by scpjrprius on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

looplock

Re: Machinedrum Sps1,UW,or Maschine and Spark combo.

Post by looplock » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:09 am

MachineDrum is a really fun and creative x0x style drum machine. It is also limited in the sound it can made. Some of the synthesized sound are good and some are not. But you really need some kind of sampler for drums. If you get the UW model for samples, it is limited to mono, 12-bit (lo fi) and only a few sample slots. Fill it up with favorite 808 and 909 samples and the sample memory is full. Yes the +Drive feature is great and provides for more samples but I don't find I want to change banks frequently.

Maschine is downright fantastic, and has all the really important sampling features at hand. I find it the most creative of anything. But you have to use a computer. If its with Live, then you need to choose between Maschine and Push. Did I tell you I love Maschine?

Face it, you may be buying more than one durm machine ... :D

B

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:58 am

It's a waste to get a MD and not get the UW option IMO, it adds a lot to what you can do with the machine.

bigbadotis

Post by bigbadotis » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:00 am

Get the UW. No offense, looplock, but if you're talking about filling up the UW memory with 808 and 909 samples you don't get what the UW is good for.

Discovering resampling / triggering with the UW option expanded my brain. I've since written software that allows me to mimic that technique / workflow, but initially doing it on the machinedrum created many inspiring musical moments.

edit: That is, if you decide to get a machinedrum instead of maschine, get the UW. Maschine and machinedrum are too different for me to recommend one over the other.

scpjrprius

Post by scpjrprius » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:34 am

The Machinedrum UW is probally what i'm going to get,but now i'm seeing the MPC Ren.However,the MPC Ren is very buggy I hear.

My genre of music right now:Trance,Techno,and Trap,it's like a Southern Style Hip Hop.Can you make pretty decent beats on the Machinedrum UW?

scpjrprius

Post by scpjrprius » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:36 am

Thank you everybody for the input so far.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:46 am

scpjrprius wrote:The Machinedrum UW is probally what i'm going to get,but now i'm seeing the MPC Ren.However,the MPC Ren is very buggy I hear.

My genre of music right now:Trance,Techno,and Trap,it's like a Southern Style Hip Hop.Can you make pretty decent beats on the Machinedrum UW?
you should check out the elektron-users.com forum

I just saw a discussion about using the MD, or maybe the OT, for making Hip Hop. The small consensus was that the MPC is probably more suited for all that.

Get the UW
Ableton | Elektron

Music