live 9: speed and stability versus live 8

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
3dot...

Re: live 9: speed and stability versus live 8

Post by 3dot... » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:20 pm

tom.luft wrote: For me the best new feature (which they didn't promote - maybe they were ashamed they didn't implement it with a free 8 update?) is instant MIDI refresh.
When I forgot to plugin a device or when a usb cable became loose in Live 8 it was a real desaster. Live 9 seems to permanently scan for new devices - they get registered into Live a second after connecting.
that's very cool as well.. and it's working fine!
but for me the biggest improvement is some stuff they've opened up in the API...
look at the new features in clyphx and you can imagine some of the new stuff for L9..
http://beatwise.proboards.com/index.cgi ... hread=1278

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:06 pm

3dot... wrote:
ian_halsall wrote:it's slower when mixing down - significantly slower for me
when processing? rendering?
or when editing?
is it a workflow issue that makes it slower?
rendering

Dean09

Post by Dean09 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:50 am

I am not using any 3rd party anything. Still intermittent crackling noise. For example a song I made in 8. And sounds good in 8 has the noise
I have a focus rite Scarlett 8i6. Which I like a lot. ASIO

Lumix

Post by Lumix » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:33 am

agent314 wrote:It may be psychological/confirmation bias at work, but I find 9 slightly faster than 8 in terms of opening sets/devices/VSTs. Haven't done any tests or anything.
made a side by side comparision with 8.4 x32 and 9.0.1 x32.
and v9 was significant faster with bigger vsts like omnisphere for example. nexus 2 i could instantly open after dragging in - took about 1 sec here with v8. really wonder how dnam fast itll be with a SSD.

and i had less crashes with v9. thank you Ableton Team. working is now really fun.
and i saw it was also using less cpu with the same template project when doing nothing.
The Davile Insaide Teh Mashihne.

tom.luft

Post by tom.luft » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:24 pm

Did/does no one else experience severe crackling -> >100 % usage -> total silence (after some seconds of worse and worse crackling) in Live 9?
Most of my projects flawlessly working in Live 8 became barely playable in 9.
Live 11.0.2
Windows 10
i7 6700k, 16GB
Scarlett 18i8

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:27 pm

tom.luft wrote: For me the best new feature (which they didn't promote - maybe they were ashamed they didn't implement it with a free 8 update?) is instant MIDI refresh.
When I forgot to plugin a device or when a usb cable became loose in Live 8 it was a real desaster. Live 9 seems to permanently scan for new devices - they get registered into Live a second after connecting.
Yes, it's sorted my MPD32 connection problems one time

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:41 am

i noticed some crackling - quite liked it though

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:40 pm

I love it! It seems quicker and snappier. As w/ all the other improvements, it's the little things that count. Once you're actually lost in the process of making a track, that's when you'll really notice and appreciate the small improvements. I haven't finished a track yet but am pretty deeply into one for the past few days. Some of the new features really come in handy.

Macbook Pro 2.2 GHz. Intel Core i7 -8 GB RAM - 32-bit Live

tom.luft

Post by tom.luft » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:09 pm

ian_halsall wrote:i noticed some crackling - quite liked it though
Yeah, you somehow save on distortion effects then. After some time it also serves as an auto-mute.
Great!
Live 11.0.2
Windows 10
i7 6700k, 16GB
Scarlett 18i8

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:29 am

the crackling was the best thing I have done in ages

tom.luft

Post by tom.luft » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:32 am

Mind my words: soon there will be thousands of crackling releases. Ain't gonna be unique no more!
Live 11.0.2
Windows 10
i7 6700k, 16GB
Scarlett 18i8

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:50 pm

The glitch boys have been making crackling tracks for years now.

No crossover hits yet - maybe the time is upon us.

Pork Crackling?

It would need to be a proper banger...........

josquin2000

Post by josquin2000 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:02 pm

hmmm... the 'crackling' seems to be ASIO related, I authorized my win laptop vista(yuc)i5, and played around (mostly i'm on my mac @ home)...
the issues with sound i/o (boardsound or cheap berhinger i/o, quite different from my Mac RME/MOTU studio setup) went away when i switched
off of ASIO4ALL to the directsound/MME drivers: more latency, but no crackle.

I note most of the mac users reporting seem happy,
most of the complaints are windows users not happy
with their ASIO drivers (don't see mention of other drivers? or did i scan too rapidly, :)? ).

Hope this *helps*, everyone. (try to help! did any o you with problems try out the beta when it was available?
a little pro-action, this may not be an issue now, eh? just speakin' as a developer myself...
no heavy judgement, but it is a version X.01? the net-wisdom involving these is ancient and deep...:))

g'luck!
j2k aka cfb

tom.luft

Post by tom.luft » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:17 pm

Why did everything work flawlessly in Live 8 then? My drivers didnt change. Neither did my equipment or my pc. Only Live did.
Live 11.0.2
Windows 10
i7 6700k, 16GB
Scarlett 18i8

josquin2000

Post by josquin2000 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:44 pm

> Why did everything work flawlessly in Live 8 then? My drivers didnt change. Neither did my equipment or my pc. Only Live did.

Yes,
see "it is a version X.01? the net-wisdom involving these is ancient and deep..."

yes, it is problem! a problem they did not encounter with their testing. The Horrors!
Never seen this before!!

But they are more likely to address such an issue if reported in a helpful way, with a full bug report during testing (they automated the process),
or at least with as much USEFUL information as possible, to help isolate and 'triage' the error.

Oh, and has anyone considered that this may be related to indexing on their system? if Live is busy in the background
trying to index your 300 gig collection of samplepacks ... this could explain loss of cycles, :)? just thinking...
so this may be related to the indexing of the new browser: if you can, try leaving Live open for a few days, ;-), does it 'speed up'?
did for me...seriously! (I have 450 gig of samples, only about 25 gig are used all the time)

Man people really can sound aggressive and grating when reporting of errors in new software:
I am sure no one wants such, but the issues of releasing software
in a world where you have n0 control on the environment make testing and verification so very difficult.
Not long ago , many software providers would choose one platform or the other to service, to lessen the size of these issues.

thus: beta programs.
oh, well, i am sure that these are issues for the dev staff. believe it or not.
g'luck,
J2K

PS: i like Live9 so far: and it is much more stable with Max4Live, so my greatest needs are met, so f***in ignore my happy A**!