Racks from Live 8 not showing up in Live 9.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
James Two

Racks from Live 8 not showing up in Live 9.

Post by James Two » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:05 am

I have tons of instrument racks that I made or acquired in Live 8 that I cannot find in Live 9. I looked in the user>application support>ableton>library and they are there but I can't find em in 9. Any ideas?

esky

Re: Racks from Live 8 not showing up in Live 9.

Post by esky » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:16 am

Hey, go to Preferences - Location of Live 8 Library and set up a path for this. Your Live 8 Library will show up in Places then. Let Live scan the whole thing and you can take your racks from there...

NorvernMonkey

Post by NorvernMonkey » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:28 am

I'm having this same problem. Also for my previous M4L patches

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:30 am

I don't think Live 8 library stuff will show up in the Live 9 browser system.

You can specify the location of the live 8 library which then shows up as a place you can navigate to within the l9 browser.

And you can access the l8 stuff by manually navigating and so on but clips which you made and stored in the Live 8 lirbary won't show up in clips in the Live 9 browser.

This live 8/live 9 browser stuff is a bit of a mess.
Last edited by ian_halsall on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:31 am

I'm seeing my old racks clearly

They took a bit of finding.

Look under PLACES, then under Live 8 library.

They should be there 8)

James Two

Post by James Two » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:58 am

They're there. Under places. I guess I just assumed 9 would automatically read 8's library. New browser is gonna take some getting used to.

NorvernMonkey

Post by NorvernMonkey » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:06 am

all seems to be fine after deleting the beta version and restarting live 9. yes, the browser update is welcome in some ways though a smoother transition from 8 would have been preffered

RhinoInRio

Post by RhinoInRio » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:35 am

I don't get it.
So now I have 9 with all the Packs. And I had 8 with a lot of Packs. Now I have both. (Under 'Places' is the LIVE 8 Library.)
This is killing space on my drive, where as I'm trying to save space on my MBP. Can I delete the Live 8 Library now that 9 has these and more to offer?
Len

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:51 am

hey people, of course, once you know that all you need is within the live9 library, go ahead and kill the live8 library.

But I highly recommend not to do this on the first day. At least make a backup of it somewhere.

You might find out next week that there is something that doesn't work for you on live9 and you will need to roll back for a production.

Give it a little time to try everything out, then decide.

NorvernMonkey

Post by NorvernMonkey » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:04 am

pepezabala wrote:hey people, of course, once you know that all you need is within the live9 library, go ahead and kill the live8 library.

But I highly recommend not to do this on the first day. At least make a backup of it somewhere.

You might find out next week that there is something that doesn't work for you on live9 and you will need to roll back for a production.

that may be true if you never made any of your own racks or saved any presets...otherwise i would advise against!

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:36 am

NorvernMonkey wrote:
pepezabala wrote:hey people, of course, once you know that all you need is within the live9 library, go ahead and kill the live8 library.

that may be true if you never made any of your own racks or saved any presets...otherwise i would advise against!
obviously - if you have your own content in live8library, then you should back it up and add it to the live9library befor deleting the live8 library.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:39 am

Don't delete the live 8 library!!!

There is currently no way to convert things made for Live 8 into Live 9 (drum racks, instrument racks, maybe clips etc. as well)

You can add live 8 library in preferences which makes it visible to the Live 9 browser but the new browser functionality cannot access the live 8 stuff in the new Live 9 way.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:46 am

Yep, I'm pretty much waiting for the first "Oh christ my songs don't load, media files missing!!!!!" to start rolling in on this one.

Delete your L8 library at your peril, that L8 section in your places? it's a link to your L8 library ... delete the library, and say bye bye to that link.

Also, you may find it hard to get the up-to date versions of your L8 packs from the Ableton website, as it seems to just show packs for L9, no "L8 Versions". It's hard to tell. Personally I have backed up my L8 library in multiple places.

tl;dr I wouldn't delete that L8 library myself.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:53 am

Indeed the move to Live 9 forced me into a whole new backup plan.

I used to store everything under the Live 8 library - everything - plugin presets I made, clips, mp3, wavs - the lot.

It made backup a breeze - just copy the live 8 folder - job done.

But then Live 9 came along and everything is all over the place with no real way to consolidate - if you attempt to put stuff in 'logical' places Live 9 often won't let you.

So I now backup my whole c: drive on a regular basis using Acronis.

It ended up being a lot of work and research - usb3 drive, new external drive, Acronis research, testing, testing (yeah that's right - testing your backup).

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:34 pm

What are the pros and cons of integrating the libraries?

At the moment I have all my old stuff in the L8 library. I have access to it fairly easily, but still it seems obvious that in the long run it would be good to have everything in one integrated library. Saving space, for one thing; and also that it would be nice to have everything logically organized.

But how do I do the integration? Is there a way of porting everything over into the L9 library?

I am scared to experiment, since in my experience, going in blindly without knowing what I am doing can lead to a world of pain....