8 library in 9 suite -- redundant?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
qbbenub

8 library in 9 suite -- redundant?

Post by qbbenub » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:05 pm

Since I'm installing my packs in 9, is there any reason to keep my 8.x library around now that I have 9 suite?

pepezabala

Re: 8 library in 9 suite -- redundant?

Post by pepezabala » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:02 pm

yes, keep it. you will have old sets that use samples from your old library. If you delete/move your old library you will get issues with missing files.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:03 pm

yeah - if you delete the live 8 library and you haven't backed it up - prepare for suicide

Fckthwrld

Post by Fckthwrld » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:04 pm

whats with the core library? why isnt it installed on first startup of live 9 (like all the instruments etc.)?

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:39 pm

Fckthwrld wrote:whats with the core library? why isnt it installed on first startup of live 9 (like all the instruments etc.)?
it is. You probably can't see it because you opened L9 while L8 was open. Close everything. Open L9 only. bazong.

Blurr

Post by Blurr » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:56 pm

Could you possibly confirm that I can still choose where the Live 9 Library gets installed ?   And don't the contents of installed packs get copied into Live's library wherever it is ? 

I think I've been doing this since Live 4 ? But honestly I can't quite remember if I first installed and then moved the library ?  Regardless I'm nearly certain that Live8 let me choose the location of the library during installation - with options to merge as well.

My C: drive is pretty small  (50G) - OS , APPs and UserDir's (but I don't store any user files there)   - this makes it easier to create a backup image of the state of my pc minus user files which are in a separate partition and get backed up differently.

If I can't direct the library location I may have to wait until I restructure my HD before I use Live9 - :-(   And I really don't want Live's Library doubling the size & time of my OS/APP images anyway.

ark

Post by ark » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:46 pm

Blurr wrote:Could you possibly confirm that I can still choose where the Live 9 Library gets installed ?   And don't the contents of installed packs get copied into Live's library wherever it is ?
Yes. When you install Live 9, it lets you choose where to put the application and support files. The first time you launch it, it builds the core library automatically. However, after that, you can open the preferences page and tell it you want to put the library somewhere else. When you do so,,it asks whether you want to move the existing packs.

Either way, all new packs go into the library location. Unlike previous visions of Live, all packs get installed in a single folder, and all user-made changes get saved somewhere else.

Blurr

Post by Blurr » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:23 pm

I did not see any file location options during the installation procedure.
So from the Preferences dialog I moved everything I could to my U: Drive after installation.
- Temporary Folder
- Decoding Cache
- Packs Install
- User Library
- Live 8 Library (Although the Live 9 installation found this)

Upon inspection however it appears that the Live9 Core Library is still on my C: drive ? I could probably leave it there being only about 600M but I don't know what else it may collect AND I would much prefer it be located on my DATA drive.

I don't see any method to move the Core Library.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:49 pm

don't move anything before backing up!!!

please!

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:46 am

A couple reasons your 8 library might be useful:

1. EIC instruments

Many of these weren't ported over to Suite.

2. Legacy Compressor

The new compressor is missing some settings. The only way to get back to them is to use an old compressor preset.