Adding Swing in Live 9

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
soundsliketree

Re: Adding Swing in Live 9

Post by soundsliketree » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:02 pm

jasper wrote:You have to drag a groove onto every single region, snippet and loop in your song
before the global groove amount will do anything.
And every time you lay in a new clip, you need to drag the groove onto it.
Ableton included logic's swings as grooves in v9, but doesn't tell you which ones they are (swingA, B, C, etc)

In an earlier version of Live the Global swing amount applied to everything automatically.
Anyone else think there should be a way to choose a 'default groove' for a set so that all newly-created clips (at least midi clips) in the set have this groove pre-assigned? I've suggested this several times over the years via the appropriate channels, and I can't understand why it hasn't been done. It seems so obvious to me. Perhaps I'm missing something?

Asymmetricalmusic

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:30 pm

Why don't the grid lines move when global swing is applied

that way you could set a groove and then use the pencil tool to draw in noted on a grid with swing applied to it.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:57 am

soundsliketree wrote:
jasper wrote:You have to drag a groove onto every single region, snippet and loop in your song
before the global groove amount will do anything.
And every time you lay in a new clip, you need to drag the groove onto it.
Ableton included logic's swings as grooves in v9, but doesn't tell you which ones they are (swingA, B, C, etc)

In an earlier version of Live the Global swing amount applied to everything automatically.
Anyone else think there should be a way to choose a 'default groove' for a set so that all newly-created clips (at least midi clips) in the set have this groove pre-assigned? I've suggested this several times over the years via the appropriate channels, and I can't understand why it hasn't been done. It seems so obvious to me. Perhaps I'm missing something?
Agreed.

I also think things like default new empty clip length would be nice as well.