Live 9 upgrade path a RIP OFF - from a loyal user

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pablorotter

Live 9 upgrade path a RIP OFF - from a loyal user

Post by pablorotter » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:23 pm

Well I would say this is a stupid question live has a unique workflow when my compositions are done I can mix and master
or I can bring them on stage with controllers and rock a party.

This 9 upgrade upset me so much. First of all, to get the 40GB content I had to spend $700 on new packs.

I had live 8 suite, a huge library, eic-2, to replace that with 9 cost me over $1,000, before PUSH.

This is ridiculous.

And the either or with the 32-bit/64 is totally BS. I'm going back to cubase. I can have both versions, I need about 15 VSTs
loaded to compose. Then I can render down and work in 32 bit. But Ableton forces me to do one or the other.

They don't integrate the 8 library, they don't give EIC users or 8 suite users incentive to buy the new packs and are REDUNDANT with live 8s library, just a little better quality.

This is the biggest scam of a DAW upgrae in history.

Unfortunately it is the most intuitive DAW for me to compose in. Having to stay in 32 bit mode in 2013 is just ridiculous.

They use should have played out free 8.x upgrades until they got this right.

I'm finally going to crack that cubase book.

I think Ableton has treated loyal users (i've got two licenses just for the easy of getting too 8) like jerks and I couldn't recommend
anybody getting into this product without buying a cheap older version and waiting for them to get a fully 64/32bit version running where you don't have to spend over $1,000 to get the basic library of sounds.

Its just BS. I own EIC-2, they have no discount to replace the strings, piano, etc.

Most DAWs come with many soft synths and huge libraries.

I love the concept but as a company you are treating people like crap in this down economy.

I love live, I love it, but I had to max out my cards and might loose my truck or not be able to eat to perform the upgrade.

That doesn't seem right.

Wish I had a MAC I would pirate all your shit to death. I don't believe in piracy but Ableton deserves it.

IMHO, screwed every way but sunday by ableton.

-Augustus
live users since 4.0, ADK 4.5GHz 16gigs RAM all solid state drives, RME, in the box mostly with my MOTU microlite and the novation MKII giving me midi, padkontrol, maschine, minibrute, etc, etc, JBL monitor, MC3 controller, (headphone section SUX, good only for passive control of monitors)

p.s. yes I am pissed off been waiting so long for this upgrade. Its the most expensive upgarde by far I've ever made. They should have waiting until a solid 32/64 version can run side by side with the option of getting a DVD with the library. I don't like the idea of a basic library based on what you can afford. Give me a nice fat basic library. I'll go to VSTs for the rest of my needs.

There are so many swear words I want to communicate to Ableton marketing. WE ARE NOT RICH!!!!!!!!!!!

I own Cubase and love the sequencer. Might keep that and maschine and dump live and figure out another way to perform live.
This is too much....

with Push my Upgrade getting an equivalent library cost me over $1600, thats an upgrade from 8 suite EIC -2.

Am I off base here? How come nobody is calling live on this BS upgrade?

CFM

Re: Live 9 upgrade path a RIP OFF - from a loyal user

Post by CFM » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:39 pm

:?:

Fugazi81

Post by Fugazi81 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:45 pm

If you own (2) licences the upgrade price is just (2) 167,00 € (exc. VAT & till 12th of march)

Have fun!

alexjholland

Post by alexjholland » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:47 pm

Wow. I paid £164 to upgrade from Suite 8 to Suite 9?

Have been away since I left my packs downloading. Are you saying my EIC collection and it's various presets (eg stringed ethnic instruments) won't be carried over to 9?

I wouldn't have imagined for a moment that installing 9 would not integrate 8's content too. If that's the case I'll be absolutely furious. That will be effectively taking something off me which I've already paid for.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:58 pm

You can use live 8 content - just point live 9 to live 8 library in control comma.

It doesn't work with the new live 9 browser all that well though - samples from live 8 library will not, for example, show up in the samples node of the browser - you will have to go look for them in the live 8 library.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:37 am

why don't just upgrade?

login

Post by login » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:56 am

how you end paying 1000? you sound like if someone pointed a gun to your head to upgra.de

krizgainz

Post by krizgainz » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:58 am

Last edited by krizgainz on Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Davo

Post by Davo » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:45 am

pablorotter wrote:
I had live 8 suite, a huge library, eic-2, to replace that with 9 cost me over $1,000, before PUSH.

This is ridiculous.

Am I off base here?
Yes, you do seem to be some distance "off base". Your cost might be in Bhutan dollars perhaps?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:57 am

:?

are you for real?

i upgraded from Live 8 Suite and got everything, but the box, for 249... everything.

if i'd have bought the box it would have been 308 + 9.90 USD for everything....

you must have failed to log into your Live account... while you're in the forum looking at these posts that the confused rest of us are leaving... scroll to the top and click on the Ableton logo... that will get you into your Live account with the previous purchases taken into consideration.

something is not right. i'd be willing to bet that if you overpaid because you failed to log into you account that Ableton would work with you to rectify it. support@ableton.com

diablo0ne

Post by diablo0ne » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:13 pm

quit picking on the guy that started this thread. Alot of ppl hate LIVE 9. I am one of theM!

It was a rip-off. I take partial blame for my mistake because my heart told me not to upgrade and I let my buddy talk me into it. They should call it ABLETON ANTFARM because of all the bugs it includes.

or UNSTABLETON, because of how much of a pain it is to delete and re-download Live for every new Version. LIVE 9 is for PUSH only. I dont have or really want PUSH so I would have been better off with my 8 SUITE. Every one that I know had to get a new computer once they downloaded LIVE 9. Then they had to delete LIVE 8 Suite to Instal LIVE 9. What a rip off! Luckily I just swapped Hard Drives so I didnt have to delete anything and thus not losing my copy of Suite 8 that i paid full price for!

Now that I have LIve 9 I am getting... lots of empty folders, less audio effects and less instruments. Apparently this is all part of a bug and is remedied with the latest Live version. When I went to download the mega file of bug fixes for live 9.. it crushed my Macbook into the ground. As it did many others that i know. So let the jewzzz ride the ableton profit pyramid all they want. TRUTH IS, I WISH I NEVER UPGRADED TO LIVE 9 AND IF I COULD GET MY MONEY BACK I DEFINITLEY WOULD!

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:43 pm

Well, there is the option to sell your Live 9 license, read the related documentation on the website if you are that dissatisfied with the product. As far as crushing your poor mac, maybe you should update some components like memory, or get a newer one if it can't handle Live 9? I wasn't happy with this update after getting it (purchased Suite update) with the indexing fiasco which has yet to be fully addressed, that and the file structure changes in regards to the GUI. I see you replaced your HD, good idea if you were running out of space, better idea would have to have planned for this in advance before you hit the storage space issue.

Some folks are having no issues, others are having them and voicing them in the threads. The biggest issue appears to be the major change to the browser and layout of things (instruments/samples/etc, i.e. where they are vs Live 8). Again, you got the option to sell your Live 9 license if you choose to, that's your choice. But check to make sure you don't lose your access to Live 8 should you decide to sell your upgrade.

Peace,

Mike
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

UltimateOutsider

Post by UltimateOutsider » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:00 pm

Did anyone who replied to this thread actually read the OP?
pablorotter wrote:This 9 upgrade upset me so much. First of all, to get the 40GB content I had to spend $700 on new packs.

He's not just talking about the base upgrade price, but what he spent to update all his packs.

Not that I'm sure I agree with him; the 8 Library is still available in 9, just sort of "read only."

OP, did you upgrade from 8 Suite to 9 Standard? Because I went from 8 Suite to 9 Suite, and all the 9 suite packs (30 of them) are available to me for "free" on the Packs page.

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:30 pm

UltimateOutsider wrote:Did anyone who replied to this thread actually read the OP?
pablorotter wrote:This 9 upgrade upset me so much. First of all, to get the 40GB content I had to spend $700 on new packs.

He's not just talking about the base upgrade price, but what he spent to update all his packs.

Not that I'm sure I agree with him; the 8 Library is still available in 9, just sort of "read only."

OP, did you upgrade from 8 Suite to 9 Standard? Because I went from 8 Suite to 9 Suite, and all the 9 suite packs (30 of them) are available to me for "free" on the Packs page.
I don't understand where he said he blew $1k on these updates. That sounds fishy to me since if he went to Suite update they are all available to download as has been stated. If he went Standard update then spent coin on the various packs, well that's his problem and should have realized going Suite update was best bang for the buck (as it usually is). And yes, the Live 8 library is available via browser and all his stuff from it would be accessible as has also been previously stated. People should really READ the comparison chart to see what comes with what before complaining after purchase lol. Lord knows I've done that in the past on a rare occasion, but you live and learn. Sorry he spent all that coin but we don't know the full deal in regards to what he *had* to what he updated to. And complaining about 32/64 bit is a laugh, you either run one or the other, especially if you are using JBridge you'd run 64 bit for your 32 bit plugins that aren't updated (if not, slacker coders...or too many products to update quickly) and Rewire as well (have to match and not sure about 64 bit rewire anyways). Hopefully he'll get it sorted out and work with Live or bail and go to Cubase and then complain more....
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:33 pm

pablorotter wrote: WE ARE NOT RICH!!!!!!!!!!!
He says, after posting this list:
pablorotter wrote: live users since 4.0, ADK 4.5GHz 16gigs RAM all solid state drives, RME, in the box mostly with my MOTU microlite and the novation MKII giving me midi, padkontrol, maschine, minibrute, etc, etc, JBL monitor, MC3 controller, (headphone section SUX, good only for passive control of monitors)