Migrating live 8 library to live 9

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DOME_CHOMSKY

Migrating live 8 library to live 9

Post by DOME_CHOMSKY » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:11 am

is there a proscribed method? there's nothing in the manual that deals with this, i don't think, nor are there any blog posts on the website. i would think this would be pretty important.

yes, the 8 library is still accessible via the browser, but i would prefer to have everything centralized.

What I did (after backing up) was copy everything except factory presets from 8 library to the user library. everything shows up now and is searchable, but the biggest problem i'm having (other than missing files when i open an old set, but that's not a huge deal cuz they're all in one place) is that within the top level categories (eg: instruments) nothing that isn't a factory preset is organized. even if they're in folders in the user library, they're just grouped under "Other" up in the categories. this seems really annoying to me. i would want it to look pretty much exactly like live 8 with my folders and whatnot. ie I don't really understand why there aught to be such a strict distinction between user and factory when browsing rather than searching.

i guess i could open up the package contents of the app, put everything into the core library and organize my folders as I'd like, but i'd have to do that everytime i save a preset, which isn't really realistic. i guess i could just do that for factory stuff from 8 and use the user library for custom, but it's really bothering me that the categories can't be organized...

i'm sure there's a thread about this already, but i couldn't exactly figure out the right search time. point me there? eitherway, i would think that after this being an issue for people during the beta that it would've made sense to put a tutorial somewhere prominent in the app or on the website...

DOME_CHOMSKY

Re: Migrating live 8 library to live 9

Post by DOME_CHOMSKY » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:16 am

update: i think i realized a big error.

to do what i wanted to do, if that's the right thing to do, it would make much more sense to drag everything into the browser so it files everything correctly, and then delete the 8 library to save space, rather than doing it in finder. maybe that will solve everything???

i'm gonna go to my back up and try it like that.

astroid

Post by astroid » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:10 pm

did it work?
P4 3.4G 2MB, RME 9652, nord g2, g4+digi 001, axiom 49, peavey 1600X, evolver, gigastudio

http://myspace.com/astroidpowerup

nstratman

Post by nstratman » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:09 am

Hi, I'm in the same situation re migrating live 8 library to live 9, with the added issue that I'm a complete newbie to the product. I bought v8 2 weeks ago, having last used Cubase SX years ago, and I've just migrated to v9. The result as far as the library is concerned is that hardly any of the original library content is visible in the browser. The Category folders are all empty apart from Plugins. And under Places, both User Library and Live 8 Library show no content.

My original Live 8 library content is in the PC folder Ableton / Library as set up during the installation of v8. The folder User Library, created by v9 I think, is also in the same Ableton folder.

If I look at the Library tab under Preferences in 9, it shows the correct locations for Live 8 Library and User Library. I'd expect User Library to be empty as I've not added any original content yet, but given that the setting for Live 8 Library location is correct, I don't understand why nothing is visible in the Live 8 Library folder in the Live 9 browser?

I'm an experienced PC user, so I've got no problem creating or modifying folder structures and no problem dragging folders and files around. But before I do that I want to understand the library structure of Live 9, and at the moment I don't! I'm particularly puzzled why the Live 8 Library shows as empty in the 9 browser when the preferences correctly point to the location of the 8 library, which still has its original content from when I first loaded 8.

If anyone has any bright ideas or can point me to something which describes 8 and 9 libraries and migration I'd appreciate it. I agree with DOME_CHOMSKY, you'd think that dealing with the library would be a pretty important part of the version upgrade.

M-bition

Post by M-bition » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:31 pm

In your case I would not bother with the live 8 library. Uninstall it/delete it. Reinstall live8 packs you think you need in Live 9 and only use Live 9's library

nstratman

Post by nstratman » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:18 pm

Good advice M-bition, thanks. I started by uninstalling Live 8 (I'd left it there because the 9 install didn't refer to it, and I wondered if 9 might look for 8 files for licensing purposes) and once the uninstall was done the full 9 Category content appeared and all looked fine. Just to be completely clean I then uninstalled then re-installed 9 and I'm good to go.

JeffreyCJohnson

Post by JeffreyCJohnson » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:22 pm

DOME_CHOMSKY wrote:update: i think i realized a big error.

to do what i wanted to do, if that's the right thing to do, it would make much more sense to drag everything into the browser so it files everything correctly, and then delete the 8 library to save space, rather than doing it in finder. maybe that will solve everything???

i'm gonna go to my back up and try it like that.
I did *exactly* that but there didn't seem to be any improvements to the integration of the version 8 library visa-vie pointing Live to the version 8 library or adding it to PLACES within the browser.

How did it go for you? I can't find a way to "migrate" the library and no one has posted an "Ah HAH, I found it!" :)

Dom Murphy

Post by Dom Murphy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:44 pm

Hello.

This is my number one issue right now (besides L9 quitting after every Pack install - grrrrr!)

I simply don't understand the new file / instrument / device management. I have many 3rd party sample packs / instruments installed from Live8 but I've no idea how / if I can move them over into the new Library Browser.

Eg: I just re-installed a couple of Detunized packs and they seemed to install fine, but I can't see them in the main library… they only seem to show up in the Packs area within Places (buried within 5 sub folders). The instruments also don't show up when I run a Browser search.

Put simply. I don't get it. I wish Ableton would provide either help or a blog post to guide us through this.

Hopefully someone here can help…

D

s7NtTbCG

Post by s7NtTbCG » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:22 pm

here is a video tutorial how to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6NbTj8Yres