Synth Riser to FM type synth question...

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Check1-2

Synth Riser to FM type synth question...

Post by Check1-2 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:23 am

This is a technique that I've heard numerous places that I think is pretty cool but I'm not really sure how they do it. I believe it is an FM synthesis technique but with Massive, which is what I usually tend to use, I don't know how to make it happen.

I'm sure you guys have heard it somewhere before. Where a riser or lazer type sound is modulated faster and faster until finally the FM sidebands start really start happening and then that new synth sound is used from there on out. I hope you guys know what I'm talking about, that description sounds childish and potentially hard to understand. I'm trying to find an example right now and will update ASAP if no one knows what I'm talking about.

With Massive, I modulated it faster and a slight FM type sound starts to happen but often the rate peaks out before I can get to the sound I'm hoping for. And even if I got it to that point it doesn't transfer between notes appropriately in order to really play a melody with it.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm rambling about right now?? Can anyone shed some light on how this technique is achieved?