Live 9 browser NIGHTMARE !!!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
tummes

Re: Live 9 browser NIGHTMARE !!!

Post by tummes » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:45 pm

ian_halsall wrote: You can if you make instrument racks from them.

Make a rack with an operator in it.

Make a rack with (for example) massive in it.

You can save both of these into the same folder.
I see. But then I make the nice folder categories ("Instruments", "Audio Effects", etc.) obsolete, because I have everything squashed under "Places/User Library/Devices".

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:34 pm

I seem to have lost all my factory & 3rd party packs. They are still in the folder but live is not seeing them Is there anyway other than to re-download 80Gb again?

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:17 am

Rosko wrote:I seem to have lost all my factory & 3rd party packs. They are still in the folder but live is not seeing them Is there anyway other than to re-download 80Gb again?

Live's browser needs to re-scan. Don't download anythign, its' all still there, the browser just isn't seeing it. Restart live and it will (eventually) start scanning again. It's a total pain and happens WAY too often.
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

Steve Glen

Post by Steve Glen » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:13 am

Waste of space. Especially on my little laptop screen.

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:08 am

tummes wrote:
ian_halsall wrote: You can if you make instrument racks from them.

Make a rack with an operator in it.

Make a rack with (for example) massive in it.

You can save both of these into the same folder.
I see. But then I make the nice folder categories ("Instruments", "Audio Effects", etc.) obsolete, because I have everything squashed under "Places/User Library/Devices".
Not if you create folders within your user library that are names the same as Ableton's Sound category names.... ;)
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Fri May 08, 2015 7:24 am

Sooo.. It's been almost half a year since the last post in this thread, and it's been over two years since the browser, er, controversy started. I'm very interested in upgrading to Live 9, finally :D, as I figured the worst kinks must have been ironed out by now. Have your experiences changed during this time, and do you guys think the browser is now more functional/efficient?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri May 08, 2015 12:33 pm

no real changes with the browser. They changed a couple of things regarding when the indexer indexes, but as far as functionality goes it's still weird and frustrating as hell.

Steve Glen

Post by Steve Glen » Fri May 08, 2015 5:21 pm

I have changed my workflow so that i dont notice the problems anymore. I have noticed that my user library presets have been showing up in the devices tabs, but i haven't given it any investigation; I no longer use a User library.

Should you upgrade? Yes. There are many things that are better that make the upgrade worth it. There are more features, i feel like its faster and more reliable than 8. Plus, you can share L9 sets with me on splice.com! Or blend.io

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Sat May 09, 2015 5:15 am

Hmm. It's just that, well, I use Live a lot for creative sound design. I don't mean only in a musical sense, patching synths and the like, but I also do a lot of sound design for games and such, and the workflow in Live is great for the creative phase in that (for example, layering different raw recordings in racked samplers, all with their own effect chains and so on, very efficient to be "in the flow" and explore different approaches to a sound). Some of that workflow includes previewing material in the browser, and that's what I'm worried about in Live 9, the indexing and not being able to directly access the whole available file system anymore. I guess it's still like that, then.

I do name my files and folders in a sensible manner, and when I need to search for something, I use Everything Search ( http://www.voidtools.com/ ). It doesn't seem to add overhead at all even if it constantly keeps itself updated on the filesystem level. It's great :D .. So I really really wouldn't need a clunky search feature inside Live.

Edit: can the indexing in Live 9 be completely disabled (or disabled in the sense that it really doesn't get in the way), or does that somehow render the browser unusable?

Steve Glen

Post by Steve Glen » Sun May 10, 2015 1:16 am

You will not have problems with indexing. For Live's use, it indexes and displays file properly. It does not alter files.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Mon May 11, 2015 3:54 pm

After Using Live 9 for a while now I generally like Live 9's new browser (although I'd be open to improvements such as tagging and a better preset management system than the current one).

I think my biggest gripe is that Live got rid of Audio Unit device drop down presets and now rely on having the presets in a standard Audio Unit folder. This is a problem with alot of the TAL Freeware plug-ins.

I think Ableton says that this is the new Audio Unit standard, but Logic Pro X seems to work the old and new way.

What I'm mentioning might not be technically a browser issue but it is a browsing issue because it affects browsing for presets.

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Sat May 23, 2015 10:02 pm

Steve Glen wrote:You will not have problems with indexing. For Live's use, it indexes and displays file properly. It does not alter files.
Hmmh. M. Holloway recently vented about the indexing over here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=215396 ... Kinda summing up what I was afraid of.

musiconacento

Post by musiconacento » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:47 pm

K1D1M35N wrote:
infernal.machine wrote:
androids wrote: What is the point to index all those samples (around 2'500'000) ???
What is the point to HAVE all those samples? :roll:
What's the point in asking such a stupid question?

There's a program called "Everything" (Win) which finds every file on your HD in seconds (by name) wihtout indexing, if Live had something like that implemented there wouldn't be days of indexing.
încha man this is a greatinfo . With everithing I have solved more problems that I can number now.
Million thanks K1D1M35N

zeepster

Post by zeepster » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:11 am

Since people are replying to this thread again let me add this story. When i start Live 9 it's beloved ableton Index is always scanning like crazy, over 3 ssd drives. I let it finish and after about 10 minutes i can finally get to work.
Next day, even though it scanned just the day before, it goes again for a 10 minute rampage over all the SSD's.

My pc has 4 ssd's. Ssd1 = Win 7 64. Only OS here. Ssd 2 is audio apps (Live), library, projects and plugins.
The remaining 2 ssd's are wav files and music collection. The latter not added to places.

Anyway,

I send logs, performance logs and screenshots to Abes so they could see the Indexer wreak havoc and stall everything needlessly, everyday when i start Live 9.

Their advice?
Remove Live 9 from it's own dedicated ssd and install it on the OS ssd. What?? Really??
How about you fix what you broke Abes? In Live 8 there never was a hitch. The only thing messing up is your indexing because of Push.

I work in Live 9, but i hate what you've done to the browser, and support that doesn't help.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:12 pm

Push is Evil.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
iMac 27" Retina i5 3,2 GHz OS 10.11.3 L10.0.1 M4L.