Live 9 browser NIGHTMARE !!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ze2be

Re: Live 9 browser NIGHTMARE !!!

Post by ze2be » Tue May 21, 2013 8:50 pm

The Finn wrote:
ze2be wrote: I never trusted the akward Ableton preset saving system. Why didnt they do a vst system like everyone else? Because of that choice; no session automation recording before 9, no program change on plugs, akward load/save "swap" system, and so forth.
THat's an interesting remark... care to say more? I am not that familiar with other DAWs (other than Reason :P ) so I don't know what you mean by a vst system and why that has implications for session automation etc etc...
With VSTs we could record automation to session since VSTs was introduced to Live, I think version 4. ;) However with internal Live plugs and racks they went with their own system, not like VST, it was not able to record to session before 9. Also no floating windows, no program change, and no fast preset swaping. I guess they wanted to avoid the vst licence which is owned by Steinberg.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue May 21, 2013 9:42 pm

Live 9's browser issue solved!

Ableton wrote:After much troubleshooting we have determined that the cause of the issue with the Live 9 browser is due to 2 similar, but not entirely related items;
First, Live 9 cannot find a link to the forum on the homepage. As such, it is forced to go through alternate port i.e. a back door. This back door actually leads to the data table that contains the most jumbled up data on that Ableton has ever had to contend with... Blendton's posts. In short, Live 9's browser will not work because it is attempting to index Blendton's posts into some semblance of order. Every time Blendon posts this process must be restarted. We are working diligently to resolve this issue.

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Tue May 21, 2013 9:44 pm

Oh, shit. Sorry, Blendton. That's effing hilarious. :lol:

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed May 22, 2013 12:16 am

Funk N. Furter wrote: Friendly tip so you get replies: write your posts as you would normally. Then go through and remove 80%. Edit the other 20% so it's understandable, so people know what it means. Write in plain English with no ambiguities, let alone deliberately cryptic stuff.
i disagree. he/she adds much needed colour around this joint...
Last edited by fishmonkey on Wed May 22, 2013 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blendton

Post by Blendton » Wed May 22, 2013 3:48 am

Ableton wrote:After much troubleshooting we have determined that the cause of the issue with the Live 9 browser is due to 2 similar, but not entirely related items;
First, Live 9 cannot find a link to the forum on the homepage. As such, it is forced to go through alternate port i.e. a back door. This back door actually leads to the data table that contains the most jumbled up data on that Ableton has ever had to contend with... Blendton's posts. In short, Live 9's browser will not work because it is attempting to index Blendton's posts into some semblance of order. Every time Blendon posts this process must be restarted. We are working diligently to resolve this issue.
SuburbanThug wrote:Oh, shit. Sorry, Blendton. That's effing hilarious. :lol:

OMG, I'm out :'(

Because I therefore can't say more than ...

Pwned! ..................... :P :lol:
Antoine, aka Blendton.

Ableton Live 9 Suite (64-bit) & Ableton Suite 8 + Max for Live (32-bit)
Toshiba Qosmio F750 + lenticular glasses-free 3D
i7 2670QM 2,20GHz - 2x4GB DDR3-1333 - 5400rpm HDD

jasper

Post by jasper » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:59 am

When you make patches and save them,
Live will copy the samples you use into another location.
unless v9 is different.

I'm hesitant to upgrade because I'm 99% convinced
my entire Library will be destroyed.

Wes Smith Yo

Post by Wes Smith Yo » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:49 am

I've been searching for any hope of a tagging type implementation. Apparently nothing. Logic had this like 4 years ago, I guess because Apple builds it perhaps they can do a better job of OS integration? Anyway, the 9.X browser definitely seems like step back...I can;t see anything it is doing for me here in terms of workflow speed.

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:16 am

So another browser issue, just submitted this as a feature request though I doubt it can possibly happen due to the new browser organization they have

If you have custom grooves you can no longer place them in the main groove library, they must now go into your user library. This would be fine if just like other presets (i.e. you go to instruments, your operator presets show up in instruments/operator even though they reside in your user library) they would show up when going to the 'groove library' but they dont.

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:03 am

Is there a site/tutorial that comprehensively covers the nuances and idiosyncracies of the new Live browser and library?

I'm still a bit confused about it.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:02 am

I like the new browser. But yesterday I got to feel the problem it introduces first hand. I had a friend visiting, and he wanted me to load a simple wav file from his usb drive into a track. Using windows browser I copied his file to a folder on my drive. And so in Live 9 im about to find it in its browser, and drag n drop into project: Where is browsing? There are no direct browsing haha!! Omg! I had to create a new folder linked to my drive just for this, but its impossible to do direct search because indexing took forever. Were not going to sit there for ages waiting just to check out a simple wav clip, so instead I just drag n droped it directly from a windows window into Live. Problem solved.

To prepare for this in the future one might want to create folders in Live 9 browser for any possible combination, and have it all indexed before hand. Then when indexing it will probably find the new files much quicker, as the old ones are already done.

But I see now that I really miss normal direct browsing from previous Live versions!

/mild rant

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:22 am

Good finding, thank you.
That will be also a feature I'll miss but with a little organisation it will be fixed..
However the creative process is often a non-organised one and new Live browser can be felt as a
let down in this case. Thanks so much for posting. At the moment I was browsing the existing folders
in both L9 and L8 libraries..this will come handy! :D

Best
Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

twistedblues

Post by twistedblues » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:01 pm

any word on a fix?

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:32 pm

ze2be wrote:I like the new browser. But yesterday I got to feel the problem it introduces first hand. I had a friend visiting, and he wanted me to load a simple wav file from his usb drive into a track. Using windows browser I copied his file to a folder on my drive. And so in Live 9 im about to find it in its browser, and drag n drop into project: Where is browsing? There are no direct browsing haha!! Omg! I had to create a new folder linked to my drive just for this, but its impossible to do direct search because indexing took forever. Were not going to sit there for ages waiting just to check out a simple wav clip, so instead I just drag n droped it directly from a windows window into Live. Problem solved.

To prepare for this in the future one might want to create folders in Live 9 browser for any possible combination, and have it all indexed before hand. Then when indexing it will probably find the new files much quicker, as the old ones are already done.

But I see now that I really miss normal direct browsing from previous Live versions!

/mild rant
I agree with this whole post except the part where you say 'I like the new browser"
I also would add that it takes several more clicks and several more "where the fuck is xyz" moments with the new browser.
Its not that the old browser was great, it was also kind of shit but it's better than the one in l9.

I really don't like the functionality of the plug in folder, if I click on the audio units folder the vst folder collapses, if i click on the vst folder the audio units folder collapses,(the same thing happens for every folder within the plug ins folder) I want both open all the time.

Maybe what they could do have is a couple of buttons some place other than the browsers, one to access vst's and one to access lives instruments, and then free up the browser just for browsing for audio or midi clips.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

Blendton

Post by Blendton » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:52 pm

You can develop several folders by holding Ctrl when ening another folder :wink:
Antoine, aka Blendton.

Ableton Live 9 Suite (64-bit) & Ableton Suite 8 + Max for Live (32-bit)
Toshiba Qosmio F750 + lenticular glasses-free 3D
i7 2670QM 2,20GHz - 2x4GB DDR3-1333 - 5400rpm HDD

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:33 pm

Blendton wrote:ening
i wish i knew what that was. :x