Live 9 browser NIGHTMARE !!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ze2be

Re: Live 9 browser NIGHTMARE !!!

Post by ze2be » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:26 am

stringtapper wrote:Say what…?

:lol:
Say what indeed! Blendton why dont you go get yourself a working keyboard before continuing posting? We would like to hear what you have to say! :) Also using spell correction in your browser might help..

beatz01

Post by beatz01 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:32 am

Blendton, please take some english courses.

Thank you.

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:20 am

Blendton, the guys above aren't being mean for laughs, it's really hard trying to follow the points you're trying to make :)

By the way, as it seems using the Live 9 browser is currently out of the question if you're dealing with a lot of material, and the native Windows 7 file manager is a far cry from an efficient sample browsing / previewing environment... Here's a tip for Windows users, semi-off-topic: check out Total Commander, http://www.ghisler.com/

It's something I've been using for my core file management and sorting etc. for at least fifteen years (oh shit!), and it has remarkably managed to keep up with the times, without becoming bloatware or irrelevant. I'm oldskool in the way I think a two-pane file manager is the way to go (something like Midnight Commander on Linux/Unix systems), it's a real time saver -- not just because of the layout paradigm, but with all the powerful operations at your disposal too, for file replacing and whatnot.

Just go through the options to customize what you actually need to see in the GUI, and change the mouse functionality to the standard left button select mode, and you're ready to roll.
Last edited by Nokatus on Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:04 am

If user had wanted to use tags we would have just downloaded a software called iTunes and put samples there.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:02 pm

Nokatus wrote: a tip for Windows users, semi-off-topic: check out Total Commander, http://www.ghisler.com/
Might be a bit off topic, but a +1 from me! I cant live without Total Commander on pc. I just figured out after years it can even do backup operations as good as any backup app.

DoubleDub

Post by DoubleDub » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:38 pm

OK, guys, I will not dive into the discussion, just express my displeasure about that indexing in Live Browser. I also work with several external drives and it takes about 40min to index all the samples around (big orchestra libs etc., a noisy procedure). This is happening not only the first time but always I turn Live on. So what is the purpose for me as a producer, I couldn't figure out till now? May be there is a reason for DJs or Push users.

I ask the developers very kindly to put a button in the configuration to switch off this awful thing. I use 9 Live trial for the last 20 days and I'm not going to buy the stuff till I get rid of this.
DD

(edit) btw. I cannot imagine that professional studios with RAID server system will allow Live9 to start indexing their hosts system. They will be black listed for sure.
Last edited by DoubleDub on Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mdk

Post by mdk » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:56 pm

ze2be wrote:
Nokatus wrote: a tip for Windows users, semi-off-topic: check out Total Commander, http://www.ghisler.com/
Might be a bit off topic, but a +1 from me! I cant live without Total Commander on pc. I just figured out after years it can even do backup operations as good as any backup app.
similarly I use xplorer2. Can't live without a dual-pane file manager.
Pr0k Records - Bandcamp Facebook Twitter

Blendton

Post by Blendton » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:59 pm

All of you I apoologize not to be able to buy a usb keyboard to replace my actuallly old "still with a PS/ ---> USB Adapter" Logiteck ALL BLACK> keyboard.

No courses, Mother's french and tech french ./ father UK/France frequent moves and bilingual as well, champ in both ortho/grammar challenges at school, shaking Bernard Pivot hand with his congrats ...

I indeed see typo-based headaches being a severe lack of respect and even more severe in a place hosting such people as music creation involved people.

I saw your words which add to the pain as I'm in troubles like being forced to ...

I said ALL BLACK. Keys aren't just all the same, there isn't any poinnt of white clue there even was ketters or a keyboard layer printed on that shit.

I answered without checking both what's being wrritten and the check up in 99.99% cases is mandatory before the submit click.

And add a bit of a lot hand shaking, rage, and the rest.

I ask you to forgive my lack of respect as I ask you to remove yourb "poor english" meaning lines because if I didn't care itr should be much morte tyhan insulting just me, but enough shit is going to rain tomoprrow so, I don't get mad ... a line less or more to the list what the fuck would I care about, excepting my principles + respect + I want apologize thinking about my recently deceased father and becoming by tomorrow's events free from a dangerous too much possessive mother.

Stop, I may replace the notebook where I cannot easily write, I'm fucking bilingual, fucking ntheaching both to many, fucking 5 day + night awake not sleeping even a second, and almost nurse practiioner in reanimation services...

It's enough to eat, more ? Less? So I saw that and needed to respectfull for everyone making the point CLEAR : officialy and recognized bilingual, and wondering why giving youb such az gift as insulting familyb and stuff ... since nobody knows anyone here, and the no label keys are not stopping me in normal cases, I guess I'm just giving excuses because of the rage growing in your tortured mind when it's aboutr giving your criminaly guilt mother yo authorities in order to become a life saving worker soon and WHY AM I JUSTIFYING ?

INSULTED IN A CRISIS CLIMAX ! That's all. Can't find you any trace of shit answer back manner to relaease pain on something or someone, no computer at first, and no one has to share any trace of that 10th level under Hell's worse part I must manage.

Was aware at the moment too it's not fresh as 15min known.

Didn't have check anything but must end now and who cars I even don't have to be near expensive gear since several posts with the english speaking joke to a fucking english reading more french speaking more both writing rarely and hoping not too errors there,n egards,

and BTW will be back soon no viewpoint from the "out of nerves " way I guess everyone must someday have, ... or not, i don'tr bgive a sample to those ..
Bye guys.
Antoine, aka Blendton.

Ableton Live 9 Suite (64-bit) & Ableton Suite 8 + Max for Live (32-bit)
Toshiba Qosmio F750 + lenticular glasses-free 3D
i7 2670QM 2,20GHz - 2x4GB DDR3-1333 - 5400rpm HDD

su

Post by su » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:31 pm

There seems to be a fair amount of general discussion of browser on this thread, so hopefully this isn't too OT. Also this may have been mentioned earlier in the thread, so please forgive any repetition.

On Windows the Live 8 browser allowed the use of shortcuts created in windows explorer. Shortcuts in folders added in "places" don't show up. This is a big limitation IMO. Not being able to access shortcuts leads you to either a) add more folders to places, or b) copy samples to folders already added to places. Not good.

In addition to the request for being able to turn indexing off, I'd add a request to be able to use shortcuts in folders added to places.

Goddard

Post by Goddard » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:17 pm

A bit too hasty I posted here that I was getting used to the new browser...
I do apologise for giving an inadequate opinion.
This thing is a really nasty nightmare. I try and I try and I try...
It doesn't follow any logical path.
Thanks to this thing I have something like 150GB of Ableton libraries and still looking for a drum set I'm forced to browse through the galactic of drum samples, because if you want it to work properly you have to keep the whole Live 8 library (some instruments, even those installed with Live 9 are missing samples without Live 8 library!)...
And there's no way to organize it at all.
Getting Live 9 doesn't feel like updating, but like installing parallel software that actually doesn't function properly without the former one.
Was it really that difficult to do it right from the day of release?
To have the only one updated and deticated Live 9 library?
Skål!
"Machines are the weapon employed by the capitalists to quell the revolt of specialized labor" Karl Marx

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:29 pm

su wrote:In addition to the request for being able to turn indexing off, I'd add a request to be able to use shortcuts in folders added to places.
Amen to that.

geekbeats

Post by geekbeats » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:33 pm

It was brought up at the Live 9 / Push demonstration I attended. So, it's not just a handful of people with oddball requests for file management.

geekbeats

Post by geekbeats » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:42 pm

The good news: Seems like there are frequent beta releases, the newest being 03/15/2013

Haven't seen them address our browser concerns... still hopeful !

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:55 pm

Amaury wrote:we are currently looking at this, as well as this thread's creator's problem.

randycolby

Post by randycolby » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:09 pm

I have another issue with my sample library. Live 9 no longer supports showing shortcuts in the browser! WHAT??? This is how I painstakingly organized my samples to cross-reference what I am looking for without having to duplicate GB's of data. I want for instance to find the kick drums from a purchased sample library both in the purchased sample library folder, as well as my "KICKS" folder. This worked fine in Live 8. Now the browser will not find these shortcuts at all? Why not? There should be an option to toggle between the old and new browser styles.