Live 9 browser NIGHTMARE !!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Michael Hatsis

Re: Live 9 browser NIGHTMARE !!!

Post by Michael Hatsis » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:33 am

ze2be wrote:I like the new browser. But yesterday I got to feel the problem it introduces first hand. I had a friend visiting, and he wanted me to load a simple wav file from his usb drive into a track. Using windows browser I copied his file to a folder on my drive. And so in Live 9 im about to find it in its browser, and drag n drop into project: Where is browsing? There are no direct browsing haha!! Omg! I had to create a new folder linked to my drive just for this, but its impossible to do direct search because indexing took forever. Were not going to sit there for ages waiting just to check out a simple wav clip, so instead I just drag n droped it directly from a windows window into Live. Problem solved.

To prepare for this in the future one might want to create folders in Live 9 browser for any possible combination, and have it all indexed before hand. Then when indexing it will probably find the new files much quicker, as the old ones are already done.

But I see now that I really miss normal direct browsing from previous Live versions!

/mild rant

So, basically you're saying you solved the problem with the browser by not using the browser? Not trying to belittle your answer, however, that is not a valid answer for me.

Mike

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:46 am

Michael Hatsis wrote:
ze2be wrote:I like the new browser. But yesterday I got to feel the problem it introduces first hand. I had a friend visiting, and he wanted me to load a simple wav file from his usb drive into a track. Using windows browser I copied his file to a folder on my drive. And so in Live 9 im about to find it in its browser, and drag n drop into project: Where is browsing? There are no direct browsing haha!! Omg! I had to create a new folder linked to my drive just for this, but its impossible to do direct search because indexing took forever. Were not going to sit there for ages waiting just to check out a simple wav clip, so instead I just drag n droped it directly from a windows window into Live. Problem solved.

To prepare for this in the future one might want to create folders in Live 9 browser for any possible combination, and have it all indexed before hand. Then when indexing it will probably find the new files much quicker, as the old ones are already done.

But I see now that I really miss normal direct browsing from previous Live versions!

/mild rant
So, basically you're saying you solved the problem with the browser by not using the browser? Not trying to belittle your answer, however, that is not a valid answer for me.

Mike
It was a frustration rant. But yes, at first I had to "not use it". But after that as I said I will index a bunch of folders to prepare for the future.

My point wast just to confirm that I experience the index problem others are having. Other then this im fine with the new stuf.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:02 am

It's not that bad. It is not about 'not using the browser'; it is about using the browser as per design specifications.

I have a folder called 'my sample collection'. Original name, I know.
I added it under 'my places'.
Contrary to some people's experience, indexing did not take forever. It is not a particularly big folder - only about ten gigs. but it's a shitload of kicks and snares (about 15 000 in all. You know how it goes). Scanning it took under a thirty seconds.
If I want to add a new sample to my collection, I copy it into (you guessed it) the 'my sample collection' folder.
After which it is immediately visible.

If I don't want to do it like that, I can drag a file directly into Live from Finder / Explorer. I don't see how that is a problem; though it would be a BIG problem if I could NOT do that

Downside: yes, I can't just put the file on my desktop and find it there
Upside: my samples are stored in particular, marked and indexed folders, and not all over the show, some here and some there. Vich iss much more logical and systematic, ja?

Fossiel

Post by Fossiel » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:47 am

I use Reaper for browsing. It's extremely fast and my CPU is laughing his balls off.

Just drag/drop and everyone is happy. I expect Ableton to fix it tho... especially for Push users like me, I just want rapid fire sample browsing.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:36 pm

The Finn wrote:It's not that bad. It is not about 'not using the browser'; it is about using the browser as per design specifications.
it's kind of ironic really...

if Apple integrated a similar function into an iPad or iPhone to be accessed via iTunes... giving you only one cumbersome way to perform a straight forward task.... it would be considered pure genius by probably half of those who have complained here. "it's not that hard you just have to X,Y,Z,1,2,3" the other half probably don't like iTunes for one reason or another. "but why not just drag and drop?"

i blame Apple for Ableton's browser... they have single handedly tested the limits of human patience and straight shooter logic with some of their methods to the point that Ableton figured they could get away with it for sure. :twisted:

even if i'm completely wrong... it still...

just irks :x

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:40 pm

H20nly wrote:but why not just drag and drop?"
Not sure what you are saying here... but you can just drag and drop in Live, if you want to.

Not that I want to defend the browser, which I agree is clunky. But quite a lot of the complaints I have seen on the forum are based on wrong assumptions or are based on just not having made sure you know how it works.

drez

Post by drez » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:45 pm

The Finn wrote:
It's not that bad. It is not about 'not using the browser'; it is about using the browser as per design specifications.

I have a folder called 'my sample collection'. Original name, I know.
I added it under 'my places'.
Contrary to some people's experience, indexing did not take forever. It is not a particularly big folder - only about ten gigs. but it's a shitload of kicks and snares (about 15 000 in all. You know how it goes). Scanning it took under a thirty seconds.
If I want to add a new sample to my collection, I copy it into (you guessed it) the 'my sample collection' folder.
After which it is immediately visible.

If I don't want to do it like that, I can drag a file directly into Live from Finder / Explorer. I don't see how that is a problem; though it would be a BIG problem if I could NOT do that

Downside: yes, I can't just put the file on my desktop and find it there
Upside: my samples are stored in particular, marked and indexed folders, and not all over the show, some here and some there. Vich iss much more logical and systematic, ja?
Hey, so are you putting these samples in subfolders based on "type" (such as "kicks", "snares", etc) or all in one folder and then just searching?
http://www.soundcloud.com/dreznicek
MacBook M1 Pro Max, 64Gig RAM, 4TB internal SSD, Live 11, Push1/2/3, Reason, VST O'Plenty

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:48 pm

The Finn wrote:
H20nly wrote:but why not just drag and drop?"
Not sure what you are saying here... but you can just drag and drop in Live, if you want to.

Not that I want to defend the browser, which I agree is clunky. But quite a lot of the complaints I have seen on the forum are based on wrong assumptions or are based on just not having made sure you know how it works.
that was an iTunes reference... something that should be simple but takes 3 to 7 steps too many... can typically be found in iTunes.

i was comparing that methodology with Live's [new] browser and it's ability to work if you change your workflow to the browser workflow vs. having the openness it once did and/or logical flow and room for individualism.

it surprises me how many of us will roll over for Apple, but will not bend as it pertains to Live.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:44 pm

I was in L9 and had made some drum clips for later use, so decided to drag them into my library. So, I guess I just drag them onto the entry marked "Clips"? Uh, apparently no. I got the "no go" icon there. Weird. Cant save clips?

So I open up the "user basement" where they allow us to keep our stuff, navigate to my old trusty live-songs/clips/drums folder. Boom. Saved. So NOW I guess my clips will show in the dedicated clips dept.
Nope. Nothing. VIP clips only I guess, or perhaps I need to wait half an hour? Who knows.

Quality, quality work.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:06 pm

Angstrom wrote:I was in L9 and had made some drum clips for later use, so decided to drag them into my library. So, I guess I just drag them onto the entry marked "Clips"? Uh, apparently no. I got the "no go" icon there. Weird. Cant save clips?

So I open up the "user basement" where they allow us to keep our stuff, navigate to my old trusty live-songs/clips/drums folder. Boom. Saved. So NOW I guess my clips will show in the dedicated clips dept.
Nope. Nothing. VIP clips only I guess, or perhaps I need to wait half an hour? Who knows.

Quality, quality work.
that's weird.. saving clips to my user library here..
they come up quickly under 'clips' if I search for them

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:28 am

3dot... wrote:
Angstrom wrote:I was in L9 and had made some drum clips for later use, so decided to drag them into my library. So, I guess I just drag them onto the entry marked "Clips"? Uh, apparently no. I got the "no go" icon there. Weird. Cant save clips?

Quality, quality work.
that's weird.. saving clips to my user library here..
they come up quickly under 'clips' if I search for them

Well, it doesn't work here. At least a day later, the clip is in my /Live 9 songs/clips folder. It does not show up in the dedicated Clips section.

The same thing happens with samples. None of my samples show up in their part of the browser

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:17 am

oh.. I put mine in the 'User Library'...
just tried it your way.. .and indeed.. it sucks

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:21 am

oof... the one flavour fits all dilemma... Ableton should tread light.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:25 am

seems that in any other 'places' other than 'user library' and 'packs'... you need to search explicitly inside the "custom place"
bug?

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:48 pm

My issues with browser. Categories needs vastly improving, a complete re-design or get rid of it. Currently the only thing i use categories is for vst plugins (thank god i am still able to keep my file structure with this) & native instruments & fx which unfortunately do not have any way to organise and have to use the user pre-sets for these in places because categories will not let you organise them.
The samples category is a just a bunch of samples with no organisation that i will probable never use. Clips category the same just a mess.
Max for live again same problem as the native instruments no file structure so no way to organise so have to use places.
Drums category again no organization & the kits IMO are week so i rarely use them.
The sounds category is one of the biggest let downs as was hoping to make use of it but there is no easy way to define the sounds.
So at the very least would have been nice to hide categories i don't use because Ableton missed the boat on letting you organize stuff. Because i need the room as relying on places. Places needs a bit of work in itself although not as much.
The ability to hide or at least move the 4 top folders, the ability to add colour to the folder would help.
Categories is the major week point though the lack of organisation & having to use places means it very disjointed & clunky to use.