Live 9 browser NIGHTMARE !!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
androids

Re: Live 9 browser NIGHTMARE !!!

Post by androids » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:48 pm

zeepster wrote:I work as producer / sound engineer professionally too, have lot's of drives and folders with samples. I want the ability to EXCLUDE these locations / maps from being indexed. Just let me browse them as in 8.

I don't want a big index database building up somewhere on my C: drive.
Since the early days of DAW's indexing has always been off. I wish Live 9 would give the user an option to do that.
Exactly.
Never use indexation in Cubase or others DAWs.

Ableton Denver

Post by Ableton Denver » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:07 pm

I would like to encourage support tickets and calls to the support line.

I am dying over here, I would love to work in Live9 and learn the new features.

Can someone point me to the index file created, I have some ideas on how to hack Ableton.
closed the user group on purpose.

zeepster

Post by zeepster » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:16 pm

Ableton Denver wrote:I would like to encourage support tickets and calls to the support line.

I am dying over here, I would love to work in Live9 and learn the new features.

Can someone point me to the index file created, I have some ideas on how to hack Ableton.
Was thinking along the same lines, to try make the files.db ReadOnly.

In win it's appdata/roaming/ableton/live 9/database i think

Ableton Denver

Post by Ableton Denver » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:10 pm

UPDATE : Ableton sent me this link to help :

https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/dat ... malformed/

I was able to get some smaller dirs to index, like before, but the whole system stopped at 650mb test and took far too long to produce any usable results and my main library is not going to be available and will reindex should I make any changes outside of Ableton (oh great!).

I will admit that there was a little improvement, but all in all this is broken, there is nothing short of disabling indexing that will help use true power users.

I think the biggest rub from this dev team is how my external drive sits for quite a while and churns and gets hot. Not cool, back to live 8.

TYLRbass

Post by TYLRbass » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:25 pm

Ableton Denver wrote:UPDATE : Ableton sent me this link to help :

https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/dat ... malformed/

I was able to get some smaller dirs to index, like before, but the whole system stopped at 650mb test and took far too long to produce any usable results and my main library is not going to be available and will reindex should I make any changes outside of Ableton (oh great!).

I will admit that there was a little improvement, but all in all this is broken, there is nothing short of disabling indexing that will help use true power users.

I think the biggest rub from this dev team is how my external drive sits for quite a while and churns and gets hot. Not cool, back to live 8.
Very interesting.. I also noticed that after this funkyness started happening that the next time I opened Live 8 it automatically repaired my library..

Ableton Denver

Post by Ableton Denver » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:20 pm

re: Library -- all of us non "Ableton Certified Salespeople" teach students to never, ever, use the library. The Ableton library is so broken and will hurt you so bad.

Instead we always tell people to use external drives or dedicated drives on system for library. Also use the reverse-drag-n-drop methods for device saving as the "save" for macro/groups has a ton of issues.

So this relates to the browser in Ableton crapping out - we are all trained by the broken and immature nature of the existing Ableton library (7+) to not use the Ableton library and have consequently developed alternate methods to make our systems productive and performable.

Unfortunately the hardcore users (name dropping should occur here, but they are sponsored by Ableton and refuse to speak up) don't get the attention that the squeaky wheel bedroom producers get who sit on these forums all day.

I try to stay off these forums (like employees at Ableton) -- but this is so serious I am maintaining my vocal status as we need to fix this!

All I want for pi day (3.14 tomorrow) is a native browser!

please : options.txt -disableIndexing << is that so hard?

check this out : http://resoundsound.com/ableton-live-sh ... on-tracks/ (thx TYLR)

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:28 pm

Ableton Denver wrote:check this out : http://resoundsound.com/ableton-live-sh ... on-tracks/ (thx TYLR)
This is fucking COOL!
Cant wait to get home now.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:10 am

i see a couple of posts in this thread begging for aknowledgement from Ableton...

:? um, there are at least 2 posts in this very thread from Amaury (at Albeton Headquarters) stating they're working on it...

how do you expect Ableton to read through this mess if you won't? i can understand a thread coming and going unseen, but when you post in the same one???

donmich

Post by donmich » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:23 am

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:50 am

Can I has true power users too?

I is just bedoom producers :(

Me so sad.

Steve Glen

Post by Steve Glen » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:20 pm

I'm open to starting a new library and completely rebuilding from L8 Suite to L9 Suite. (Change is good, and will help me break old habits fostering creativity). I want something that is going to work for Push, performance, and production. But I don't even know where to start building a useable library!!!!

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:24 am

depends on what you mean by "building a new library".

geekbeats

Post by geekbeats » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:41 pm

Nokatus wrote:This sounds absolutely terrible. Thanks for highlighting the issue: I'm both glad I didn't go 9, and also know for certain I won't be doing it.

Just making sure here: one can't browse the contents of hard drives with the Live 9 browser at all without first "adding" the drives/folders and having them actively scanned?

I'm one of those guys here who do sound design for a living, alongside music. Vast piles of samples, recorded and edited over the years, and already stored in the kind of directory structure I wish to use. This would only get in the way, big time. I repeat, as far as my audio hard drives are concerned, these shenanigans wouldn't offer any benefits, only glaring negatives. So there.

This has made me stop using 9. It KILLS creativity

*Just making sure here: one can't browse the contents of hard drives with the Live 9 browser at all without first "adding" the drives/folders and having them actively scanned?*

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:37 pm

Correct.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:43 pm

funken wrote:Bear in mind also that Ableton might change the way the Browser works over the next few months. My advice is to keep it as simple as possible.
agreed.

as mentioned, Ableton has stated (in this thread) that they are looking into it. besides the browser, i don't see too many substantial complaints regarding Live 9. there are a few cases of this or that but most of the complaints and/or confusion seem to revolve around the browser. i can see there being some changes in a 9.x rev in our near future...