Live 9 browser NIGHTMARE !!!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Pasha

Re: Live 9 browser NIGHTMARE !!!

Post by Pasha » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:22 am

Good finding, thank you.
That will be also a feature I'll miss but with a little organisation it will be fixed..
However the creative process is often a non-organised one and new Live browser can be felt as a
let down in this case. Thanks so much for posting. At the moment I was browsing the existing folders
in both L9 and L8 libraries..this will come handy! :D

Best
Pasha
Apple Desktop / Laptop
Live 9 Suite,Zebra 2.6,Guitar, Bass, VG99, JV1010 and some controllers

twistedblues

Post by twistedblues » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:01 pm

any word on a fix?

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:32 pm

ze2be wrote:I like the new browser. But yesterday I got to feel the problem it introduces first hand. I had a friend visiting, and he wanted me to load a simple wav file from his usb drive into a track. Using windows browser I copied his file to a folder on my drive. And so in Live 9 im about to find it in its browser, and drag n drop into project: Where is browsing? There are no direct browsing haha!! Omg! I had to create a new folder linked to my drive just for this, but its impossible to do direct search because indexing took forever. Were not going to sit there for ages waiting just to check out a simple wav clip, so instead I just drag n droped it directly from a windows window into Live. Problem solved.

To prepare for this in the future one might want to create folders in Live 9 browser for any possible combination, and have it all indexed before hand. Then when indexing it will probably find the new files much quicker, as the old ones are already done.

But I see now that I really miss normal direct browsing from previous Live versions!

/mild rant
I agree with this whole post except the part where you say 'I like the new browser"
I also would add that it takes several more clicks and several more "where the fuck is xyz" moments with the new browser.
Its not that the old browser was great, it was also kind of shit but it's better than the one in l9.

I really don't like the functionality of the plug in folder, if I click on the audio units folder the vst folder collapses, if i click on the vst folder the audio units folder collapses,(the same thing happens for every folder within the plug ins folder) I want both open all the time.

Maybe what they could do have is a couple of buttons some place other than the browsers, one to access vst's and one to access lives instruments, and then free up the browser just for browsing for audio or midi clips.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

Blendton

Post by Blendton » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:52 pm

You can develop several folders by holding Ctrl when ening another folder :wink:
Antoine, aka Blendton.

Ableton Live 9 Suite (64-bit) & Ableton Suite 8 + Max for Live (32-bit)
Toshiba Qosmio F750 + lenticular glasses-free 3D
i7 2670QM 2,20GHz - 2x4GB DDR3-1333 - 5400rpm HDD

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:33 pm

Blendton wrote:ening
i wish i knew what that was. :x

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:33 am

ze2be wrote:I like the new browser. But yesterday I got to feel the problem it introduces first hand. I had a friend visiting, and he wanted me to load a simple wav file from his usb drive into a track. Using windows browser I copied his file to a folder on my drive. And so in Live 9 im about to find it in its browser, and drag n drop into project: Where is browsing? There are no direct browsing haha!! Omg! I had to create a new folder linked to my drive just for this, but its impossible to do direct search because indexing took forever. Were not going to sit there for ages waiting just to check out a simple wav clip, so instead I just drag n droped it directly from a windows window into Live. Problem solved.

To prepare for this in the future one might want to create folders in Live 9 browser for any possible combination, and have it all indexed before hand. Then when indexing it will probably find the new files much quicker, as the old ones are already done.

But I see now that I really miss normal direct browsing from previous Live versions!

/mild rant

So, basically you're saying you solved the problem with the browser by not using the browser? Not trying to belittle your answer, however, that is not a valid answer for me.

Mike

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:46 am

Michael Hatsis wrote:

/mild rant
So, basically you're saying you solved the problem with the browser by not using the browser? Not trying to belittle your answer, however, that is not a valid answer for me.

Mike
It was a frustration rant. But yes, at first I had to "not use it". But after that as I said I will index a bunch of folders to prepare for the future.

My point wast just to confirm that I experience the index problem others are having. Other then this im fine with the new stuf.
? ? ? ? ?

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:02 am

It's not that bad. It is not about 'not using the browser'; it is about using the browser as per design specifications.

I have a folder called 'my sample collection'. Original name, I know.
I added it under 'my places'.
Contrary to some people's experience, indexing did not take forever. It is not a particularly big folder - only about ten gigs. but it's a shitload of kicks and snares (about 15 000 in all. You know how it goes). Scanning it took under a thirty seconds.
If I want to add a new sample to my collection, I copy it into (you guessed it) the 'my sample collection' folder.
After which it is immediately visible.

If I don't want to do it like that, I can drag a file directly into Live from Finder / Explorer. I don't see how that is a problem; though it would be a BIG problem if I could NOT do that

Downside: yes, I can't just put the file on my desktop and find it there
Upside: my samples are stored in particular, marked and indexed folders, and not all over the show, some here and some there. Vich iss much more logical and systematic, ja?

Fossiel

Post by Fossiel » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:47 am

I use Reaper for browsing. It's extremely fast and my CPU is laughing his balls off.

Just drag/drop and everyone is happy. I expect Ableton to fix it tho... especially for Push users like me, I just want rapid fire sample browsing.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:36 pm

The Finn wrote:It's not that bad. It is not about 'not using the browser'; it is about using the browser as per design specifications.
it's kind of ironic really...

if Apple integrated a similar function into an iPad or iPhone to be accessed via iTunes... giving you only one cumbersome way to perform a straight forward task.... it would be considered pure genius by probably half of those who have complained here. "it's not that hard you just have to X,Y,Z,1,2,3" the other half probably don't like iTunes for one reason or another. "but why not just drag and drop?"

i blame Apple for Ableton's browser... they have single handedly tested the limits of human patience and straight shooter logic with some of their methods to the point that Ableton figured they could get away with it for sure. :twisted:

even if i'm completely wrong... it still...

just irks :x

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:40 pm

H20nly wrote:but why not just drag and drop?"
Not sure what you are saying here... but you can just drag and drop in Live, if you want to.

Not that I want to defend the browser, which I agree is clunky. But quite a lot of the complaints I have seen on the forum are based on wrong assumptions or are based on just not having made sure you know how it works.

drez

Post by drez » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:45 pm

The Finn wrote:
It's not that bad. It is not about 'not using the browser'; it is about using the browser as per design specifications.

I have a folder called 'my sample collection'. Original name, I know.
I added it under 'my places'.
Contrary to some people's experience, indexing did not take forever. It is not a particularly big folder - only about ten gigs. but it's a shitload of kicks and snares (about 15 000 in all. You know how it goes). Scanning it took under a thirty seconds.
If I want to add a new sample to my collection, I copy it into (you guessed it) the 'my sample collection' folder.
After which it is immediately visible.

If I don't want to do it like that, I can drag a file directly into Live from Finder / Explorer. I don't see how that is a problem; though it would be a BIG problem if I could NOT do that

Downside: yes, I can't just put the file on my desktop and find it there
Upside: my samples are stored in particular, marked and indexed folders, and not all over the show, some here and some there. Vich iss much more logical and systematic, ja?
Hey, so are you putting these samples in subfolders based on "type" (such as "kicks", "snares", etc) or all in one folder and then just searching?
http://www.twitter.com/dreznicek
http://www.soundcloud.com/dreznicek
MacBook Pro Retina Laptop, 2.7Ghz i7, 16Gig RAM, 500G SSD, Live 9, Push, Novation SL25 Mk2, iPad (TouchOSC, Lemur, Touch-Able), Reason

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:48 pm

The Finn wrote:
H20nly wrote:but why not just drag and drop?"
Not sure what you are saying here... but you can just drag and drop in Live, if you want to.

Not that I want to defend the browser, which I agree is clunky. But quite a lot of the complaints I have seen on the forum are based on wrong assumptions or are based on just not having made sure you know how it works.
that was an iTunes reference... something that should be simple but takes 3 to 7 steps too many... can typically be found in iTunes.

i was comparing that methodology with Live's [new] browser and it's ability to work if you change your workflow to the browser workflow vs. having the openness it once did and/or logical flow and room for individualism.

it surprises me how many of us will roll over for Apple, but will not bend as it pertains to Live.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:44 pm

I was in L9 and had made some drum clips for later use, so decided to drag them into my library. So, I guess I just drag them onto the entry marked "Clips"? Uh, apparently no. I got the "no go" icon there. Weird. Cant save clips?

So I open up the "user basement" where they allow us to keep our stuff, navigate to my old trusty live-songs/clips/drums folder. Boom. Saved. So NOW I guess my clips will show in the dedicated clips dept.
Nope. Nothing. VIP clips only I guess, or perhaps I need to wait half an hour? Who knows.

Quality, quality work.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:06 pm

Angstrom wrote:I was in L9 and had made some drum clips for later use, so decided to drag them into my library. So, I guess I just drag them onto the entry marked "Clips"? Uh, apparently no. I got the "no go" icon there. Weird. Cant save clips?

So I open up the "user basement" where they allow us to keep our stuff, navigate to my old trusty live-songs/clips/drums folder. Boom. Saved. So NOW I guess my clips will show in the dedicated clips dept.
Nope. Nothing. VIP clips only I guess, or perhaps I need to wait half an hour? Who knows.

Quality, quality work.
that's weird.. saving clips to my user library here..
they come up quickly under 'clips' if I search for them