Live 9 browser NIGHTMARE !!!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
3dot...
Posts: 9996
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:10 pm

Re: Live 9 browser NIGHTMARE !!!

Post by 3dot... » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:15 pm

the borwser is very limited in scope I agree..
although I can use it easily knowing it's limitations..
it's a shame we can't get direct access to the folder structure..
other than indexing whole drives and therefore bulking up the Live file index...
the freedom to move stuff around using the Live browser is virtually gone.. which is a shame
it's unintuitive...
but I'm betting it'll get better with time (and our feedback).

many years after.. Ableton still manages to introduce us to new workarounds.. in this case using the OS file browser a lot

in the meantime..
if you want things to come up under 'categories' just save'em to the 'user Library'

I wouldn't say this browser is "weak".. but it's not "as" user friendly...
Image

nathannn
Posts: 3317
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:38 am
Location: U.S.

Re: Live 9 browser NIGHTMARE !!!

Post by nathannn » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:05 pm

On Windows 7 I have a project where some samples are missing, I will do a search with lives built in search and it WILL find them.
When I right click the sample to select show in browser nothing happens, when I right click to select show in explorer nothing happens, When I go to drag the files into the arrange view nothing happens.

Also live will not show me the full location of where the sample was found so I can just manually drop the sample in.

:evil: :evil: :evil:
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

H20nly
Posts: 15844
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Live 9 browser NIGHTMARE !!!

Post by H20nly » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:41 pm

^ this is the part where someone comes in and starts talking about Reaper or some other DAW... since everyone seems so exhausted i'll do it.


but Reaper is so dope and it's cheap. Reaper yeah... Reaper.

Pro-tools had that one feature since 1979

fuck Live.


/public service

tedlogan
Posts: 1344
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:23 pm
Location: Leamington Spa, UK
Contact:

Re: Live 9 browser NIGHTMARE !!!

Post by tedlogan » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:02 pm

Angstrom wrote:
3dot... wrote:
Angstrom wrote:I was in L9 and had made some drum clips for later use, so decided to drag them into my library. So, I guess I just drag them onto the entry marked "Clips"? Uh, apparently no. I got the "no go" icon there. Weird. Cant save clips?

So I open up the "user basement" where they allow us to keep our stuff, navigate to my old trusty live-songs/clips/drums folder. Boom. Saved. So NOW I guess my clips will show in the dedicated clips dept.
Nope. Nothing. VIP clips only I guess, or perhaps I need to wait half an hour? Who knows.

Quality, quality work.
that's weird.. saving clips to my user library here..
they come up quickly under 'clips' if I search for them

Well, it doesn't work here. At least a day later, the clip is in my /Live 9 songs/clips folder. It does not show up in the dedicated Clips section.

Image


The same thing happens with samples. None of my samples show up in their part of the browser
Image
It won't if you don't save the files to the user library folders that correspond to the default ones.

In the siuation above, I would just have dragged my clip into the User Library's "clips" folder. It will then show up in the category of clips in the top left bit of the browser as well, or when searching. I do add a "_" before anything I save there though, so it shows up on top.

The User Library is the same structure as the default library, and I use this to my advantage. One positive is that it's forced me to organize my clips/samples etc.
Guess I'm one of the few who likes the new browser (for the most part), whether using it in Live or with the Push (it does need improving/pre-set up though - I'd like to be able to see my own custom folders within the standard catogeries).

Angstrom
Posts: 14700
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Live 9 browser NIGHTMARE !!!

Post by Angstrom » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:29 am

It seems very odd to me that a browser which inists on scanning everything can't even use that gathered data to recognise an .alc or a wav ... unless it's in a very specific folder. One named "clips" for example.

So, Is this a database driven system, or a folder driven system?
The mandatory scanning in order to add user folders implies the contents are scanned ( and they are in the database, I looked). But why are these folders scanned at all if they don't even show as results on simple "category" queries?

I think your underscore hack shows that even a "satisfied" user needs to do odd hacky things in order to merely prioritise the display of his own content. A database driven system ought to be able to "show author=me, type= clip, date = previous month" quite easilly. Because that's the whole point of databases, you can query them with complex custom queries and save your favourite queries.

Usually.

This is why the answers such as " look in the folder / do it their way " annoy me. There is no their way, they seem to have specified a grey fog of indecision. They have no definite system. It's all hacks, workarounds and imprecision. There is nothing solid to conform to. Classification boudaries are blurred, and functional inconsistency abounds.
The database itself derives its taxonomic tags such as "ambient and evolving" from the file trees which it pretends to replace, and then does nothing good or usefully non-hierarchic with them. So why bother?

eyeknow
Posts: 5822
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:16 am

Re: Live 9 browser NIGHTMARE !!!

Post by eyeknow » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:19 am

H20nly wrote:^ this is the part where someone comes in and starts talking about Reaper or some other DAW... since everyone seems so exhausted i'll do it.


but Reaper is so dope and it's cheap. Reaper yeah... Reaper.

Pro-tools had that one feature since 1979

fuck Live.


/public service


http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Q7PNbAgG28

re:dream
Posts: 4559
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:42 am
Location: Hoerikwaggo's sunset side...
Contact:

Re: Live 9 browser NIGHTMARE !!!

Post by re:dream » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:02 am

Angstrom wrote:This is why the answers such as " look in the folder / do it their way " annoy me. There is no their way, they seem to have specified a grey fog of indecision. They have no definite system. It's all hacks, workarounds and imprecision. There is nothing solid to conform to. Classification boudaries are blurred, and functional inconsistency abounds.
The database itself derives its taxonomic tags such as "ambient and evolving" from the file trees which it pretends to replace, and then does nothing good or usefully non-hierarchic with them. So why bother?

Agreed. I was not saying the browser is fine, or that the current Abes approach is rational. I was just saying that some of the complaints about the browser (not all, and not even most) seem to be based on not using it properly, and that some people's difficulties can be circumvented by just making sure they know what they are doing.

You are right that it is not acceptable that users have to use naming hacks etc to make the browser work for them. The browser should be able to browse your content accurately, no matter what files are called.

For my part, I have ended up mostly just ignoring the Categories part of the Live Browser. I have set up my User Library just the way I want it and 90% of the time I never even look at Categories. The only time I do is on the rare occasion where I want to listen to Ableton's presets.

tedlogan
Posts: 1344
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:23 pm
Location: Leamington Spa, UK
Contact:

Re: Live 9 browser NIGHTMARE !!!

Post by tedlogan » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:14 pm

Angstrom wrote:It seems very odd to me that a browser which inists on scanning everything can't even use that gathered data to recognise an .alc or a wav ... unless it's in a very specific folder. One named "clips" for example.

So, Is this a database driven system, or a folder driven system?
The mandatory scanning in order to add user folders implies the contents are scanned ( and they are in the database, I looked). But why are these folders scanned at all if they don't even show as results on simple "category" queries?

I think your underscore hack shows that even a "satisfied" user needs to do odd hacky things in order to merely prioritise the display of his own content. A database driven system ought to be able to "show author=me, type= clip, date = previous month" quite easilly. Because that's the whole point of databases, you can query them with complex custom queries and save your favourite queries.

Usually.


This is why the answers such as " look in the folder / do it their way " annoy me. There is no their way, they seem to have specified a grey fog of indecision. They have no definite system. It's all hacks, workarounds and imprecision. There is nothing solid to conform to. Classification boudaries are blurred, and functional inconsistency abounds.
The database itself derives its taxonomic tags such as "ambient and evolving" from the file trees which it pretends to replace, and then does nothing good or usefully non-hierarchic with them. So why bother?
I agree with you, it's wanky. But I have not let it bother me as I have conformed to the weird way it works. I can imagine it being a real headache for certain people's way of working. For me, for example, adding an underscore prefix to my naming convention is beyond a trivial issue. I don't care that it's not perfect. I'm too busy enjoying myself building racks for VSTs, and readying them for Push.

I fully understand and agree with the complaints though, but like I said, it does not bother me in the slightest to work around it - which I kind of enjoy.

chapelier fou
Posts: 5124
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 12:15 pm

Re: Live 9 browser NIGHTMARE !!!

Post by chapelier fou » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:18 pm

i am so pissed off that i decide to bring my voice to this topic and tell how stupid and useless the browser is. L8's was so much better. Able to browse at least, navigate in you hardrive. Not with a pointless classification, locked places and unability to drag'n'drop things in it.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
iMac 27" Retina i5 3,2 GHz OS 10.11.3 L10.0.1 M4L.

zeepster
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:03 pm

Re: Live 9 browser NIGHTMARE !!!

Post by zeepster » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:44 pm

chapelier fou wrote:i am so pissed off that i decide to bring my voice to this topic and tell how stupid and useless the browser is. L8's was so much better. Able to browse at least, navigate in you hardrive. Not with a pointless classification, locked places and unability to drag'n'drop things in it.
Indeed.
And Ableton remains silent about the issue.

H20nly
Posts: 15844
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Live 9 browser NIGHTMARE !!!

Post by H20nly » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:18 pm

Apple economics 101

there is no issue if you don't acknowledge it.

eyeknow
Posts: 5822
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:16 am

Re: Live 9 browser NIGHTMARE !!!

Post by eyeknow » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:06 pm

Yeah.

I remember having an apple and logic pro. If you had a problem on the forum they would just delete it. Problem solved.

Fossiel
Posts: 202
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:56 am

Re: Live 9 browser NIGHTMARE !!!

Post by Fossiel » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:07 pm

If we start using Twitter instead of forums, will speed up things greatly.

zeepster
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:03 pm

Re: Live 9 browser NIGHTMARE !!!

Post by zeepster » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:49 pm

As some are already doing.
https://twitter.com/SilvioEcomo/status/ ... 5850150912

We need more high profile producers to speak up!

H20nly
Posts: 15844
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Live 9 browser NIGHTMARE !!!

Post by H20nly » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:41 pm

bitching about the browser in 140 characters or less... :lol:

Post Reply