All times are UTC

Post subject: Can anyone explain to me how to the new Live 9 Library works
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:02 pm 

I need to better understand how the Live 9 library works. For example, why aren't my Max patches showing up? I have many of them that I use in Live 8 located in my live 8 library however they dont populate in the list in live 9. Suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Can anyone explain to me how to the new Live 9 Library works
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:17 pm 

Tutorial here
Live 9's new Browser

If you still have any questions after reading that I'll be happy to try to answer them.

Regarding your specific question, no your Max For Live patches will not show up in Categories, initially they will only show in Places: Live 8 Library. Then when you re-save them in Live 9 they will show in various other places, as explained in the tutorial.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:52 pm 

funken wrote:
Tutorial here
Live 9's new Browser

If you still have any questions after reading that I'll be happy to try to answer them.

Regarding your specific question, no your Max For Live patches will not show up in Categories, initially they will only show in Places: Live 8 Library. Then when you re-save them in Live 9 they will show in various other places, as explained in the tutorial.

You are missing an important explanation: How do I get My presets and my instruments racks to show in categories?

In The user library, there is already a folder named "presets" which also contains folders for "audio affects, intruments and mid effects", and then inside of them folders for each one of the instrument or effect. Or if the program didnt create those folders go ahead and create them.

So when you make a new presets for analog put it in (for example) : userlibrary>presets>instruments>Analog>Bass>Newbasspastch

That way it will show your content in the categories side of the browser, eiother in Sounds, or instruments.

Also you can rack your vst's with presets you like, and put them in Userlibrary>presets>instruments>instrumentsracks>Lead>MYVSTPATCH, and it will show it in Sounds, and instruments in categories.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:06 pm 

login wrote:
You are missing an important explanation: How do I get My presets and my instruments racks to show in categories?

That's a good explanation, but I did say exactly the same in the tutorial, with several pics to illustrate it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:46 pm 

funken wrote:
login wrote:

That's a good explanation, but I did say exactly the same in the tutorial, with several pics to illustrate it.

IMHO found it's hard to understand this browser behaviour on your article.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:39 am 

login wrote:
IMHO found it's hard to understand this browser behaviour on your article.

Really? Perhaps I better change it then. Here's the bit on transferring user racks from the Live 8 Library to the Live 9 Library. Which bit is not clear?

Using your Live 8 Library, racks etc

This may change, but at the time of writing, here is what to do. You can specify the location of your Live 8 Library in Places. Also you can specify a User Library, and an installation folder for packs. Most people will want to retain the ability to use Live 8 separately for some time yet, for example if using software that's not adapted to Live 9 yet such as Isotonik 8 for DJs.

The Live 8 Folder in Places has been made read-only, so you shouldn't be able to make them unusable (by changing them in 9). However, personally I would advise that for now you save racks etc in 9 under a new name, eg "AUD 9", so as to be sure the original is untouched and can therefore still be used in Live 8. This also helps you identify which is for 8 and which is for 9. You may not want to bother, it's up to you. It's just me playing on the safe side. Basically you can use racks etc created in 8 in Live 9, but not the other way round.

So, you can load an old rack (eg AUD) from Places: Live8 Library, and save it with a new name. The new version should be located in Live 9's browser in the Instruments Category, under Instrument Racks, at the bottom of the list...

...and also in Places: User Library.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:51 am 

Funken,

Completing these tutorials during your own time and for free to help people is simply not good enough.

I demand that you travel to our houses (at your own expense) to demonstrate :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the free tutorials they are most helpful 8)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:59 am 

Lol! Sure thing Ascot. Send me your address and put the kettle on!

Cheers! :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:54 pm 

estevan carlos benson wrote:
I need to better understand how the Live 9 library works. For example, why aren't my Max patches showing up? I have many of them that I use in Live 8 located in my live 8 library however they dont populate in the list in live 9. Suggestions?

To try and steer this thread back into the right way...

The short explanation is that your presets and other user contents (such as Max patches) which resides in your Live 8 library does not automatically show up in the "Live 9 structure".

So basically the only thing left to do is to manually pluck them from the Live 8 library and dump them into their proper place in the Live 9 structure. Which is the new "User library". This section is made to contain all your own user settings. From your own presets and/or (M4l) devices, right down to the "Default settings" for a device.

Hope this can help too.

Peter

Using the Big Trio: Live 9 Suite, Max (for Live) and Reason 6.5.
Blog: SynthFan.info.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:44 am 

Could have sworn I just said all that.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:01 am 

login wrote:

Also you can rack your vst's with presets you like, and put them in Userlibrary>presets>instruments>instrumentsracks>Lead>MYVSTPATCH, and it will show it in Sounds, and instruments in categories.

This is worth repeating actually. I added a bit to my tutorial about the Sounds category. If you create a folder in the User Library with the same name as a category in Sounds, and place your presets in that, they will show up in Sounds. Orchestral does not work however. An example has been added to my tutorial.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:52 pm 

funken wrote:
Tutorial here
Live 9's new Browser

From my own experimentation with categories this statement seems to be incorrect:

Quote:
You can get your saved presets to show in the Sounds Category. Just make sure they are within a folder with the same name as a Sounds category, eg Bass or Brass. If necessary just create a folder with the right name in your User Library. Don't use subfolders if you want to do this as they will stop the presets showing in Sounds.

You can use subfolders as long as they correspond to the categories in sounds. So for example in my user folder under presets/Operator I have a "Juice" folder and a "Mutations" folder so I can keep those patches all in one place, but within those folders I have categorised them into subfolders such as "Bass", "experimental" etc to correspond with the Sounds tab - it still picks them up and adds them to Sounds. Also it seems able to pick up new categories to a degree - e.g. I made a category "percussive" for some drum patches and that category was added to Sounds even though it wasn't there before, however when I changed it to "Drums and percussion" it disappeared again so there are limits to what it will allow. Some more experimentation will hopefully reveal more. I also noticed sub folder names don't need to be exactly the same as in the Sounds tab - for example I made a folder called pads not pad but it still recognised the patches and put them under pad.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:15 pm 

Muze wrote:

You can use subfolders as long as they correspond to the categories in sounds. So for example in my user folder under presets/Operator I have a "Juice" folder and a "Mutations" folder so I can keep those patches all in one place, but within those folders I have categorised them into subfolders such as "Bass", "experimental" etc to correspond with the Sounds tab - it still picks them up and adds them to Sounds.

It seems to work if a preset is DIRECTLY in a folder with a 'correct ' name. So Minimoog: Bass: Minimoog1 would show, but Bass: Minimoog: Minimoog1 would not.

Muze wrote:
Also it seems able to pick up new categories to a degree - e.g. I made a category "percussive" for some drum patches and that category was added to Sounds even though it wasn't there before, however when I changed it to "Drums and percussion" it disappeared again so there are limits to what it will allow. Some more experimentation will hopefully reveal more. I also noticed sub folder names don't need to be exactly the same as in the Sounds tab - for example I made a folder called pads not pad but it still recognised the patches and put them under pad.

I think you just struck lucky there, my folder called Muze doesn't show up. Shame really.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:18 pm 

I've added a sentence about the subfolders anyway, ta.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:38 pm 

funken wrote:
Muze wrote:

You can use subfolders as long as they correspond to the categories in sounds. So for example in my user folder under presets/Operator I have a "Juice" folder and a "Mutations" folder so I can keep those patches all in one place, but within those folders I have categorised them into subfolders such as "Bass", "experimental" etc to correspond with the Sounds tab - it still picks them up and adds them to Sounds.

It seems to work if a preset is DIRECTLY in a folder with a 'correct ' name. So Minimoog: Bass: Minimoog1 would show, but Bass: Minimoog: Minimoog1 would not.

Muze wrote:
Also it seems able to pick up new categories to a degree - e.g. I made a category "percussive" for some drum patches and that category was added to Sounds even though it wasn't there before, however when I changed it to "Drums and percussion" it disappeared again so there are limits to what it will allow. Some more experimentation will hopefully reveal more. I also noticed sub folder names don't need to be exactly the same as in the Sounds tab - for example I made a folder called pads not pad but it still recognised the patches and put them under pad.

I think you just struck lucky there, my folder called Muze doesn't show up. Shame really.

I suspect Ableton programmed it to accept certain additional categories but within a limited range of possibilities. I tried to add bells but that didn't work either, but it's possible there are others that might.