What happened to all of the AL8 drum kits in AL9?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DanikaXoXo

What happened to all of the AL8 drum kits in AL9?

Post by DanikaXoXo » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:00 pm

I have the standard edition and in AL9 there is nothing in the drum rack. Here's a partial list of what I had under Drum Racks in AL8. Did these just go away? How can I get them back?

Re: What happened to all of the AL8 drum kits in AL9?

Post by 102455 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:12 pm

Have you tried searching?

For example I just picked out a name from that list (compuspank), searched for it, and found it.

ark

Post by ark » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:13 pm

Aren't those kits part of Session Drums? In that case you have to download the packs and install them.

gjm

Post by gjm » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:39 pm

I found the kits in your screen shot by clicking 'Places' in the browser > Live 8 Library > Presets > Instruments > Drum Racks > Kit.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

hec

Post by hec » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:55 pm

Ableton has done a terrible job explaining the new Live 9 library.

From what I gather we have Core Library that lives in the App file and the Factory packs you can install. I assume presets from the past will be in the factory packs.

That's all fine and dandy but will those Live 8 presets that we're use to working with show up with the core library, are they gone?

It seems to be they took the approach of just starting from scratch and ignoring everything from the past. That's fine, I'm all about moving forward but at least be clear and upfront about it.

Hana-Bi

Post by Hana-Bi » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:58 pm

I think all those presets are now stored in the Sounds or Drums categories. You have no presets in the Drum Rack category because those presets are under the Drums category. You have a search bar in Live 9 so you can search where those presets are.

DanikaXoXo

Post by DanikaXoXo » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:11 pm

102455 wrote:Have you tried searching? For example I just picked out a name from that list (compuspank), searched for it, and found it.
I did find them in my AL8 Library that was automatically imported into AL9 as a separate folder. However, apparently the drums and instruments in the Categories are limited to what's in the AL9 library.

ark wrote:Aren't those kits part of Session Drums? In that case you have to download the packs and install them.
I do see two Session Drums packs in the list in AL8. However, there's nothing called Session Drums in Ableton's currently available packs or for that matter in my old installation files.
Hana-Bi wrote:I think all those presets are now stored in the Sounds or Drums categories. You have no presets in the Drum Rack category because those presets are under the Drums category. You have a search bar in Live 9 so you can search where those presets are.
Nope, not Categories (see above). That doesn't make Categories very useful.

gjm

Post by gjm » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:15 pm

DanikaXoXo wrote:
102455 wrote:Have you tried searching? For example I just picked out a name from that list (compuspank), searched for it, and found it.
I did find them in my AL8 Library that was automatically imported into AL9 as a separate folder.
So then whats the issue?
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

gjm

Post by gjm » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:18 pm

hec wrote:Ableton has done a terrible job explaining the new Live 9 library.
Open the Help View and click on the 'What's New in Live 9' Tab... 2nd from the top. Its pretty clear.

DanikaXoXo

Post by DanikaXoXo » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:51 pm

hec wrote:Ableton has done a terrible job explaining the new Live 9 library.

From what I gather we have Core Library that lives in the App file and the Factory packs you can install. I assume presets from the past will be in the factory packs.

That's all fine and dandy but will those Live 8 presets that we're use to working with show up with the core library, are they gone?
No they're only in the AL8 Library folder. If you want them in the core library categories you have to move them to the user folder. See viewtopic.php?f=1&t=190514. Kind of a limited concept for this hyped Categories enhancement. I guess originally I was thinking it would be like Cubase MediaBay where you can classify assets from any number of locations.
hec wrote: It seems to be they took the approach of just starting from scratch and ignoring everything from the past. That's fine, I'm all about moving forward but at least be clear and upfront about it.
Thinking back they did the same thing with AL7. At least they moved the AL8 library this time. With AL8 you had to download the "Legacy Packs" from AL7. So once again it's out with old and in with the new. I guess they consider their instruments throw-aways.