Who uses a subwoofer in their studio?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tintala

Who uses a subwoofer in their studio?

Post by tintala » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:59 pm

I am tossing the idea of getting one, I currently use MACKIE Mr8 powered monitors... they have descent low end,, but I'm sure a sub would do wonders...

I just cannot decide which one to shop for I think I am looking for a 10".

any ideas?

What do you like about yours?

Jrel

Re: Who uses a subwoofer in their studio?

Post by Jrel » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:30 pm

Well, getting a sub that is made to go with your speakers is the easiest and fastest choice usually. I have M-Audio BX8as, and the Bx10 sub that goes with them. You can get any sub you want; just make sure you can connect and have the correct cabling and power requirements for it.

A sub will help you find out what is playing below your speakers normal frequency range, and essential for deep bass tones in bass-heavy music genres (hiphop, dub, dance, orchestral, taiko, etc.). Otherwise, you'll just get the normal "thud" in your chest (if that), but none of the low-end boom/rumble hitting your stomach and below.

With mine, I can feel how hard the sub-bass and kicks are hitting, and adjust accordingly. Without a sub, you could make a track that sounds great on your speakers, consumer models, desktop/computer speakers, and budget ones, but then, in a car (with a sub), you realize, there is no low-end at all, or waaaay too much sub-bass.

botstein

Re: Who uses a subwoofer in their studio?

Post by botstein » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:56 pm

Hey - I use a KRK10s and it's awesome.
ttilberg wrote: "Hey, Live isn't just for DJs checkin' their email, or Expiremental Dave at the astronomy theater."