All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Free Instrument for Live 9 Suite
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:06 pm 

am wrote:
Hi all... just thought i'd share that i'm doing a presentation on how i created this instrument at the Melbourne Live 9/Push launch this coming Sunday...

facebook event details here.

Exellent! Have fun!

I would be coming to this event if work hadn't rostered me on a fekking NIGHT SHIFT Saturday night (that courtesy of daylight savings ending will be 11 hours long instead of it's usual 10) Arrrgggh!

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:30 pm 

I love this type of stuff. All those little idiosyncrasies you get from old found instruments.

My girlfriend has a toy piano that she has had since a kid which has hammers that hit lengths of metal wire. I should really do the same.

Love the fact that you made the macro colours the same colour as the keys :)

http://www.distaudio.com
http://www.distaudio.bandcamp.com
http://www.facebook.com/distaudio
http://www.twitter.com/distaudio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:10 pm 

Thanks for bumping this up! I lost it when I moved a bunch of stuff around before doing a clean OS install. It sounds great and I'll definitely be using it. Maybe a little too much! Harmoniums are so much fun. Can't wait to have a real one.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:14 pm 

Oooohh, might pop down.

Cheers am :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:07 am 

I can't seem to install the pack.

I click on the pack, I am asked where to install it, I specify my Live 9 'other packs' folder... it installs it, and I can't find the instrument at all.

Is having Live 9 suite a requirement?

I have Live 9 standard, with M4L as a previously licenced add-on.

live 9.1.2, OS mavericks, push, stray's script, MPD32/LD8, stc, access virus kc, but no elektron octatrack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:04 pm 

The Finn wrote:
I can't seem to install the pack.

I click on the pack, I am asked where to install it, I specify my Live 9 'other packs' folder... it installs it, and I can't find the instrument at all.

Is having Live 9 suite a requirement?

I have Live 9 standard, with M4L as a previously licenced add-on.

I have L9Suite and have the same issue. Even though I can see the pack in the OSX Finder, searching for "winterpark" or "harmonium" in the library pane (probably wrong terminology there, eh?) doesn't reveal the instrument anywhere. I'm chalking it up to my own inexperience with Live...but hoping someone will take pity and educate me. :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:23 pm 

I'm on a Mac, Mountain Lion OSX. Put mine in Users/[my name]/Music/Ableton. Not a perfect place to put it but it shows up in the Live 9 browser sidebar.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:45 pm 

Unfortunately non-official packs will not appear in the Packs folder in the new browser. I am not the only content creator who is frustrated by this.

topic here

Basically, you have to install it somewhere (like on the desktop), then open the live set that you have installed from there.

If you like it and want to save it, then just hit the save button on the Toy Harmonium rack, this will then copy the associated audio files into your user library, and you will be able to access the instrument from where ever you save it.

I recommend you save it in the "Ambient and Evolving" folder in your lIve 9 User library... this way it will be visable in searches.

let me know if you have any other problems.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:40 am 

Lovely instrument. But it pushes my CPU meter way over to 80 and there's lots of clicking / artefacts. Is there a reason why it is so resource intensive?

live 9.1.2, OS mavericks, push, stray's script, MPD32/LD8, stc, access virus kc, but no elektron octatrack

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:33 pm 

The Finn wrote:
Lovely instrument. But it pushes my CPU meter way over to 80 and there's lots of clicking / artefacts. Is there a reason why it is so resource intensive?

That seems quite high to me...

I'd imagine it is quite processor intensive because of all the max for live patches doing the generative stuff... the instrument itself only uses one LFO, but also side-chains midi info to the corpus device, perhaps that adds a little more.

Have you tried to play it without the generative demo stuff off? I'd be interested to know what your CPU reads for that.. on mine it's averaging about 35%.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:02 am 

I'm getting pretty high cpu readings. It seems to be moving around a lot from 27 to 48 %.

Average around 40 ish....

How did you go on Sunday Matt ? Sorry I didn't get down. A bit of a hike from where I'm at ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:19 am 

Sibanger wrote:
I'm getting pretty high cpu readings. It seems to be moving around a lot from 27 to 48 %.

Average around 40 ish....

How did you go on Sunday Matt ? Sorry I didn't get down. A bit of a hike from where I'm at ;)

re: CPU load ... i guess if you get a sound you like, you can always re-sample or freeze it.

Sunday went well thanks! It was sold out, and a pretty informative day. We were running overtime, so i didn't get to perform, but I did talk through the process of making the Harmonium Instrument, and how I set all the Macros up, which people seemed to enjoy. Tim Shiel running through the Gotye live sets he used on their world tour was my highlight of the day... pretty amazing setup.

:)M

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:28 pm 

Very cool! Thank you.

Soundcloud

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:08 am 

Hi all, I have another couple of free instrument racks for people with Live 9 suite.

This time created from a bunch of those sort decorative/ornamental bells you find in Op Shops. They may look a little ugly, but they sound great if their own strange way.

I've had them for a while, and have been intending to record them and then slow the dinging sound down to create weird soundscape instruments from them. So, today I finally got around to sampling and manipulating the recordings, and am pretty chuffed with the results. I've turned these bells into two instruments; the first plays rhythmic glitchy patterns, and the second is more atmospheric.

Click on the image above to go to a soundcloud demo and free download links.

enjoy!