Live 9's new Browser - tutorial

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dazzer

Re: Live 9's new Browser - tutorial

Post by dazzer » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:01 pm

Yeah, cleared up and clarified a few things for me. Good job!

guillaume82

Post by guillaume82 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:47 pm

Very clear tutorial - thanks!
You may want to add a description of how to make User Library instrument racks show under Sounds alongside Ableton racks as I'm not sure it is really explained in the manual.

If you save your own racks in the User Library under Instruments/Bass, Instruments/Pad, etc. they will show under the corresponding category under Sounds (however unfortunately this works only with existing Sounds folders - if you create a new folder in the User Library this will not create a new category under Sounds).

The same logic applies to effect racks - if you save racks User Library folders aligned to the existing folders under Audio Effects (e.g. "Amp Simulation") your user racks will show alongside Ableton native racks.

Hope it helps!

Poster

Post by Poster » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:57 pm

...Categories
This is where all the Ableton stuff can be found...

...Places
This is the section for your personal folders...
This ain't exactly true..
Both Places and Categories show Ableton and User content..

Categories is a filtered view of Places..

jsn

Post by jsn » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:06 pm

Nice job there funken. Have you attempted creating L9 projects and packing them? According to the manual, when they are again unpacked by L9, the pack is supposed to populate under Packs in Places. I've not been able to successfully make that happen. Have you?
Live Suite 9.5 (32-bit), MFL 6.1.3 (416a295), Win7HP

Lumix

Post by Lumix » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:12 pm

nice one funken! :wink:
you found a way to get rid of that file extensions in the browser? really hoped you have that somewhere?
The Davile Insaide Teh Mashihne.

jsn

Post by jsn » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:05 pm

funken wrote:
guillaume82 wrote:Very clear tutorial - thanks!
You may want to add a description of how to make User Library instrument racks show under Sounds alongside Ableton racks as I'm not sure it is really explained in the manual.

If you save your own racks in the User Library under Instruments/Bass, Instruments/Pad, etc. they will show under the corresponding category under Sounds (however unfortunately this works only with existing Sounds folders - if you create a new folder in the User Library this will not create a new category under Sounds).

The same logic applies to effect racks - if you save racks User Library folders aligned to the existing folders under Audio Effects (e.g. "Amp Simulation") your user racks will show alongside Ableton native racks.

Hope it helps!
Yeah, this helps clarify something that was lurking in the back of my mind actually. I did get one thing I saved to show, but wasn't quite sure how!
I've been experimenting since I read your post, getting my head scambled, and discovered something very interesting...(maybe you already knew this)

Take a preset from the Live 9 category that is in a Bass folder and save it, and it will be found in Sounds. This creates a folder in User Library called Bass.

Save a preset from Live 8 folder that's not in a Live 9 one and it will go just under that Bass folder if it's the same general category eg Analog. It won't show in Sounds. But then you can drag it into the Bass folder you just created in User and now it will show in Sounds. You can even create a folder, as long as it has the right name for a Sound.

Fancy confirming that?
Hi funken. This is interesting. Can you please explain the test one more time (specifically the last part when saving a preset from L8 in Places to L9 library. I almost understand it but not quite. I'll try this after dinner
Live Suite 9.5 (32-bit), MFL 6.1.3 (416a295), Win7HP

towers of silence

Post by towers of silence » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:48 pm

Hope it helps!
For some reason this isn't working for me- I have been saving some of my Live 8 Instrument presets as Live 9 files and I'd *like* them to show up in the appropriate folders in the Sounds and Instrument categories, but they don't for some reason. Maybe someone can point out what I'm doing wrong:

For instance, I have some Instrument Rack presets or some custom string patches that I've re-saved in Live 9.
OK, so they show up in the User Library->Presets->Instruments->Instrument Rack Folder. Good.
I then created a subfolder for that and titled it "Orchestral" just like Ableton's approved, stock folder titles with the hopes that this will mean my presets appear in the "Orchestral" sub folders in the Sounds and Instruments->Instrument Racks Categories but for some reason they don't.
They do not show up anywhere at all in the Sounds Category, and in the Instruments->Instrument Rack Category they appear in the "Others" folder, not the "Orchestral".
Where am I going wrong here?

towers of silence

Post by towers of silence » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:41 pm

funken wrote:
Nothing. I just checked and Orchestral doesn't work, I've filed a bug report. Try another category.
Cool- thanks for your help funken (and thanks for the tutorial as well, I ignored the browser quirks during my brief time with the beta so this was really helpful)

That actually makes me feel a lot better, it being a bug, since I thought I was doing things properly....!
In any case, I did try a couple other categories and they work as expected. It's funny that of all my presets that I'm going to migrate over, I just happened to randomly choose those string presets, which of course don't work

I don't mind the new browser, although after using the old browser in its previous incarnations for so long it has been an adjustment. However, I really, really hope in a future update there will be the ability to customize subfolders, at least for the Drums and Instrument categories. I sample my modular a lot, and the ability to have subfolders for things like FM Perc, LPG Plucks, etc., things that I have a lot of, for example, would be fantastic.

guillaume82

Post by guillaume82 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:06 am

funken wrote:
towers of silence wrote:

Hope it helps!
For some reason this isn't working for me- I have been saving some of my Live 8 Instrument presets as Live 9 files and I'd *like* them to show up in the appropriate folders in the Sounds and Instrument categories, but they don't for some reason. Maybe someone can point out what I'm doing wrong:

For instance, I have some Instrument Rack presets or some custom string patches that I've re-saved in Live 9.
OK, so they show up in the User Library->Presets->Instruments->Instrument Rack Folder. Good.
I then created a subfolder for that and titled it "Orchestral" just like Ableton's approved, stock folder titles with the hopes that this will mean my presets appear in the "Orchestral" sub folders in the Sounds and Instruments->Instrument Racks Categories but for some reason they don't.
They do not show up anywhere at all in the Sounds Category, and in the Instruments->Instrument Rack Category they appear in the "Others" folder, not the "Orchestral".
Where am I going wrong here?
Nothing. I just checked and Orchestral doesn't work, I've filed a bug report. Try another category.
This is a very odd behavious indeed - I had reported it during beta phase but it remained unchanged. Thinking about it, this may be due to the fact that racks showed under "Orchestral" all appear in other Sounds folders (Mallets, Brass, etc.) - Orchestral is therefore a duplicate Sounds folder rather than a standard one.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:47 pm

Hi Funken, nice tutorial, thanks.

About making my presets show up in the sounds library, I am finding very inconsistent behaviour.

I have a lot of presets stored, not in the 'presets/instruments' folder but my own 'favourites' folder. I have created subfolders - Bass, Pads, Synth Lead, etc. What I find is that *some* presets show up in the sound library but others don't. I can find absolutely no pattern. For example, I have a number of bass racks; but there is one ("Funky Bass" :roll: ) that's stored in the same folder and just won't show up. Have you come across this behaviour?

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:59 am

Think you, that It is a German Thing? I am reminded that in the Old Correct Writing Style, Nouns always need that Capital Letter, whereas Verbs and Adjectives can be written without Capitalization. As if every Statement -- no, every Sentence, is always the Title of an Academic Dissertation. That Habit might explain this strange Quirk.

More seriously, though, as long as the Folder (drat, sorry!), excuse me, the folder is written with a Cap-, um, a capital letter, it picks it up. You don't even need the word in the title of the preset. The problem fixed itself mysteriously yesterday evening and my instruments now reflect correctly. Perhaps it was just a problem of the browser taking some time (several hours?) to pick up one User Folder addition...

Jack McOck

Post by Jack McOck » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:02 pm

I can't comment because I haven't read the tutorial, but I like this thread.

Dragonbreath

Post by Dragonbreath » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:48 pm

Seems like an indexing issue

mrdelurk

Post by mrdelurk » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:55 pm

So - where is the tutorial?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:03 pm

That user is banned and asked to have all of their posts removed.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com