Packing/Unpacking Live Packs using Live 9

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jsn

Packing/Unpacking Live Packs using Live 9

Post by jsn » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:35 pm

Hey gang,

According to the L9 manual (section 5.11):

"To unpack a Pack (i.e., to restore the original Live Project), double-click the Pack file (.alp),...drag into Live main window...Live will then install the Pack to its default location and IT WILL APPEEAR IN THE PACKS LABEL in the browser."

This is not the behavior I am experiencing unfortunately, when attempting to go through this process.

I thought I would construct a few new L9 projects and create new packs (using file management procedure) containing presets, clips and whatnot from a couple of legacy packs and in doing so, try to get this content to populate under "Packs", as noted in the manual. I am unable to get anything to appear under Packs in Places, with the exception of downloaded packs from Ableton's website. Has anyone else out there successfully managed to get a custom Live Pack they've created to unpack and its content populate under Packs section? According to the manual this should be the expected result. Did I perhaps misread this? Thanks for any info

Edit: I should confirm in advance that I DID import the external content before creating the new pack from the project, so this is not the issue.
Live Suite 9.5 (32-bit), MFL 6.1.3 (416a295), Win7HP

jyanisko

Re: Packing/Unpacking Live Packs using Live 9

Post by jyanisko » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:33 pm

I'm having the same issue....

Schmidi

Post by Schmidi » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:33 pm

Same here!
- By either double clicking the pack, or going through FILE>INSTALL LIVE PACK it brings up a dialog window that says "select where you want to install the live pack".
- I can direct it to install in exactly the spot that the official L9 packs are, and Live goes through the motions of unpacking/importing it, but no new pack shows up in the L9 PACKS menu.

The really strang thing is, if you now look in the actual L9 PACKS folder on your computer, you WILL see that pack installed.

**I just noticed a NEW pack called CORE LIBRARY. Could L9 be dumping other packs in here?

** PIC BELOW (Sorry can't make /img work)
https://www.box.com/s/zquudi2iz289pcbvq9ip

ZooTooK

Post by ZooTooK » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:14 pm

Aren't you supposed to just drag n drop the alp files into Live main area? No double clicking, no nothing..

Kenny2609

Post by Kenny2609 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:59 pm

I spent a bulk of Friday afternoon downloading the packs I was entitled to from Ableton. They all appeared under the packs heading in the browser, they were there yesterday also. Today I downloaded Granulator, it was also visible in the browser. Now a couple of hours later, after re-starting Live 9, the files associated with all the packs don't show in the browser, yet when I look for them in windows explorer they are in the default location, however whatever I do I cannot get them to load back into Live, very frustrating !!!!!

Cowlash

Post by Cowlash » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:26 pm

I'm also noticing this problem from third party vendors.

No matter where I install to, there are no available packs in the correct section within the browser.

Schmidi

Post by Schmidi » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:31 am

@ShelLuser: I think you must be right. I was just able to add new packs/folders to L9's "Packs" tab. The only ones that actually worked in this way were Covert Operators: Chords and Scales and A Taste of Winter. They now show in my Packs tab!

The majority of my others do NOT install here, so I wonder where is a good place to install these (older/user) packs?

Schmidi

Post by Schmidi » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:31 am

duplicate, deleted

Dom Murphy

Post by Dom Murphy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:19 pm

I'm just confused as to where these files actually go in the Browser. For example, I just installed Puremagnetik's AmpPack (a collection of effect racks). Puremagnetik make installers which (pre-Live 9) would install directly into the Library.

When I double clicked this pack to install I got a message saying Live will take a while longer to convert the legacy pack and then it installs; I know this as inside Places > Packs I can see it.

However, where are these effects in the Browser? I can't see them in my User Library or in the Categories. The only place they seem to exist is in Packs. The only way to get to them is to navigate down through 5 folders. I'm guessing from there I must then manually copy them into my User Library and then manually organise them into a named folder.

Am I doing something wrong? I have about 30 Puremagnetik packs jammed with hundreds (maybe thousands) of instruments & effects. Am I going to have to manually place them into position?

If so, this sucks and is a giant step backwards.

I'd love any advice / help.

EDIT: OK, so I've found them in the main Library:Categories, they are in Audio Effects > Others > ... . That's great—though—will all my effects & instruments be plonked into a single folder called 'Others'?

Dom

Dom Murphy

Post by Dom Murphy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:11 pm

And now I'm trying to install the 'Bomb Squad Tactical Beats & Sample Artillery' and to be honest, it's asking where to install it and I don't have a clue. I've pointed it to Music > Ableton > Factory packs but nothing is showing up.

Also, when it's copying files over, it says it's installing a Project. And when it's finished, the files in Finder look like a Project (eg: 'Bomb Squad Project' & inside that an .als file).

This is so confusing. :cry:

AfroDjMac

Post by AfroDjMac » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:53 am

Hmmm Yea I'm having this problem too with my user created packs. Would love to have them install like the stuff from the Ableton site.
-AfroDjMac -New York producer, songwriter, live electronic musician
http://www.afrodjmac.com

Will The Weirdo

Post by Will The Weirdo » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:01 pm

I'm experiencing this myself, was a solution to this problem ever found?

Martin44

Post by Martin44 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:34 pm

Install the pack to anywhere. Then click Add Folder in PLACES, find pack and click OK. From PLACES, browse to the pack. Go to RACKS and drag an .adg file to a MIDI track. Then the instrument will show as an instance of SAMPLER. :idea:
Free MP3 music download:
http://rocking.mobi