OK ... I'll just wait and maybe upgrade later then

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Scaper7

OK ... I'll just wait and maybe upgrade later then

Post by Scaper7 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:43 am

I was keen to upgrade, but the 'special offer' to Suite8 owners is only valid for a week and only saves $100 dollars on software and hardware combined. For the meager saving you get the privilege of waiting 12-16 weeks for the hardware. So, I thought I'd just buy the L9 software first only to find out I can't buy Push later without buying another copy of the software. WTF? (complete marketing fail; $zero$ to Ableton)

Sorry Abes ... after waiting patiently for over so many years for this upgrade I've lost count, your meager discount and the tiny window to take it up are just miserly. It's completely killed my enthusiasm to upgrade early. Too tricky, too tight-arsed by far. At this price, I'm making sure it's all working rock solid before I buy and won't be taking a risk on untried products.

Szuumm

Re: OK ... I'll just wait and maybe upgrade later then

Post by Szuumm » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:57 am

Great to have another thread on this subject.

Gnuus

Post by Gnuus » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:33 am

Who cares....?
http://myspace.com/aftronics
Live 10 Intro | iMac 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 16 GB Ram | Samaon Graphite 49 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | iPad air | ZOOM TAC-2 | Roland TD11

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:36 am

I don't think the subject is over done at all. If the experience is strong enough to warrant a thread (positive or negative) so be it.

Personally, I'm a little disappointed in the latest offering. I too will probably sit it out and wait for a while. I can only vote with my dollars and I think the cost to benefit ratio of this realease is small. Add to that, that I was turned off by the 1 week discount period for valued customers. And just like every initial release the users have to pay to continue to beta test the software.

Just like the 7 release and the 8 release, it feels like I am rewarding them for bad behavior. 8 works well for me so I don't feel like I am losing out on anything. And I might purchase this version somewhere down the line if the new enhancements become necessary. I hope they can work out the few shortcomings that exist.

Guillermo Barrancos

Post by Guillermo Barrancos » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:52 pm

Scaper7 wrote:I was keen to upgrade, but the 'special offer' to Suite8 owners is only valid for a week and only saves $100 dollars on software and hardware combined. For the meager saving you get the privilege of waiting 12-16 weeks for the hardware. So, I thought I'd just buy the L9 software first only to find out I can't buy Push later without buying another copy of the software. WTF? (complete marketing fail; $zero$ to Ableton)

Sorry Abes ... after waiting patiently for over so many years for this upgrade I've lost count, your meager discount and the tiny window to take it up are just miserly. It's completely killed my enthusiasm to upgrade early. Too tricky, too tight-arsed by far. At this price, I'm making sure it's all working rock solid before I buy and won't be taking a risk on untried products.
Where did you read that?

If you Upgrade to Live 9 suite now, you can just buy Push for $599 online later on or just in the Retail store. I don't see the problem.

tintala

Post by tintala » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:09 pm

ShelLuser wrote:I was keen to upgrade, but the 'special offer' to Suite8 owners is only valid for a week and only saves $100 dollars on software and hardware combined. For the meager saving you get the privilege of waiting 12-16 weeks for the hardware. So, I thought I'd just buy the L9 software first only to find out I can't buy Push later without buying another copy of the software. WTF? (complete marketing fail; $zero$ to Ableton)
First sentence to me is valid and also pisses me off ... Like wtf? Look at Propellerheads, when they did their major upgrade to RE, they gave a huge window and "PAY WHAT YOU WANT" they weren't being greedy little fuckers... :evil:

250$ for a suite owner to upgrade to another suite after dumping over 800$ to begin with ? Wholly ass pounding batman! For this I have not got onboard.

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:10 pm

Are you referring to the fact that the basic version of Push comes with Live 9 Intro ?

Imho that's more of a "free bonus" than a piece of software that you can expect to be deducted from the final price. And it's hardly new, hardware has been bundled with starter editions of DAWs and other software for ages.

Scaper7

Post by Scaper7 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:43 pm

Guillermo Barrancos wrote:
Scaper7 wrote:.... only to find out I can't buy Push later without buying another copy of the software.
Where did you read that?

If you Upgrade to Live 9 suite now, you can just buy Push for $599 online later on or just in the Retail store. I don't see the problem.
When I was looking at my upgrade offers a couple of days ago I specifically read the words "Push always comes with a copy of Live9". Now that text has been changed/removed. The waiting time for Push hardware has also been changed from "12-16 weeks" to "16 or more weeks".

Yes, if I can buy Push later without inadvertently buying another software license, then it's not a problem. Thanks for the clarification.