New Computer for Live 9 - Win 7 or 8 ??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
yoda

New Computer for Live 9 - Win 7 or 8 ??

Post by yoda » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:46 pm

Hello,

I'm ready to buy a new computer. I see that most PCs today come pre-loaded with Win 8. I've heard some talks that says Win 7 is better for Audio. I prefer Win 7, its had more time to get it straight and working reliably than Win 8 . . . I think.

Any comments / experience with Win 8 ??

If you upgraded from 7 to 8, are you wishing you had not done so ??

If you prefer Win 7, why ??

Is it difficult to go back to Win 7 IF I HAVE to purchase a Win 8 machine ??

Any comments, insights etc. is highly appreciated.

Thanks
Ed
"Producer Yoda"
Producer/Engineer/Owner
Point Conception Studio
Santa Barbara CA

CancerRidden

Re: New Computer for Live 9 - Win 7 or 8 ??

Post by CancerRidden » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:02 pm

id get a mac

login

Post by login » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:10 pm

CancerRidden wrote:id get a mac

Cause speding more on a lower spec computer is nicer.

TO the OP:

If you are going desktop build your own, it's not as hard as you think and you will learn a lot in the process you will get a lot of value for your money, much more than with any built system.

Then you can choose between 7 and 8, IMHo if you dont have a touchscreen or don't plan to buy it win8 isn't worth it, better go with 7 since everything works great in it right now.

If you reach for your local pc hardware store they can probably help you choose components and maybe help you built it, also maybe ask a geek friend to help. Or ask us about parts.

turnitto11

Post by turnitto11 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:19 pm

I'd say go for a Mac too. Finding comparably spec'd Mac's and Window's machines are not that far off in price, and OSX is optimized for audio right out of the box. Typically more reliable too, both hardware and software. Not hate on Windows though, there's a time and place for each OS, and everyone has their own preferences, of course.

If you're set on Windows, Windows 7 is probably the best bet right now. Currently more stable and proven to work well for audio purposes. And you can always upgrade to 8 when it's more stable.
MacBook Pro (13", 2.7ghz i7, 16gb, 10.9), Suite 9

agent314

Post by agent314 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:46 pm

As a longtime Windows die-hard fan who recently started using a MacBook at work, I really get why people always chime in with the "Get a Mac" when it comes to buying music gear.

A PC laptop with similar build quality is going to run you almost as much as a nice MBP, without many of the features that make using OSX with Apple hardware so useful (i.e. standard components across different units, standard DPC, CoreAudio for better response times, etc.)

That said, if you're set on a PC, I would go with Windows 7 at the moment (ideally, get one with a free upgrade to 8 which you can use at your convenience). All sources point to there being minimal functional/compatibility differences between 7 and 8, with the difference being that Windows 7 has been tested in real-world conditions for the past 5 years, whereas 8 is still very fresh.

8 has increased performance, which may or may not make real world difference when using Live etc., but for me isn't enough to compel me to switch from what I know to be a stable, supported OS.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:47 pm

I'd say go for a Mac too. Finding comparably spec'd Mac's and Window's machines are not that far off in price, and OSX is optimized for audio right out of the box. Typically more reliable too, both hardware and software. Not hate on Windows though, there's a time and place for each OS, and everyone has their own preferences, of course.

If you're set on Windows, Windows 7 is probably the best bet right now. Currently more stable and proven to work well for audio purposes. And you can always upgrade to 8 when it's more stable.
Basically this, but I used more words to say the same thing.

whatisvalis

Post by whatisvalis » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:24 pm

Windows 8 is rock solid.

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:55 pm

What a surprise, Mac dogma in a Windows thread. Just what you never wanted! :lol:

Back on topic: Windows 7 will be easier/safer, however at this point for future proofing its not a bad idea to get a jump on Windows 8 and get to learn its nuances. Of course, if you are going to do live performance with the machine it may be better to stick with the tried and true.

abletoff

Post by abletoff » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:28 pm

Build a hackintosh, the best spec machine you can according to tonymac. Win 8 is going to be made metro-less and start-buttoned at boot soon, with a patch. So if you don't mind Uefi boot you can choose it over 7. The core is basically the same, but 8 is a little bit quicker.
That said, I went back with 7 on this particular machine, because it's a 4 year old pc and 7 suits better. But with a hackintosh, you can get osx (buy it!) as good as on a real mac and enjoy the ride at a lower fare.
Live 9 Suite, audio trackles (several audio tracks that crackle)

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:47 pm

login wrote:If you are going desktop build your own, it's not as hard as you think and you will learn a lot in the process you will get a lot of value for your money, much more than with any built system.
i used to build a lot of PCs and would have wholeheartedly agreed with this... but lately it's getting to the point where you don't save a lot of money... and when you consider that time is money... you don't really save any thing.

it's nice to have an understanding of how all the components work though... so i certainly would say that it's a good learning experience. the only other benefit from building your own right now, IMO, is that there is absolutely no bloatware... just a clean operating system.

if you don't want to worry at all about it... in regard to buying a computer and the OS being tried and true, you'll need to go with 7, BUT i'm thinking that 8 is not going to drag its heals for music production so while it might not have the resume that 7 has... it will be the future like it or not. it's nice to have something solid but 2 years from now you don't want to be kicking yourself when someone you know is saying how solid Live runs on Windows 8. does that make sense?

i like the get a computer with 7 and a free Windows 8 upgrade plan myself. that's the only plan that will provide you with guaranteed stability now and a fair bit of future proof while still keeping you under the higher Apple price points and/or frustration of switching - such as learning a new system and potentially loosing any software that is not cross platform.

@ the pro-Apple crowd that wants to quote this:
H20nly wrote:frustration of switching - such as learning a new system and potentially loosing any software that is not cross platform
... and suggest bootcamp... boot camp is a good hack/work around, but still no better than having half your stuff on one computer while trying to use another. it's a "better than nothing" solution that comes with its own suite of flaws.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:51 pm

1. Get Win8. It is the latest, dive forward and don't look back.
2. When it comes to Live specifically, I always hear more complaints about stability from Mac users. Just an observation :)

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:54 pm

yur2die4 wrote:2. When it comes to Live specifically, I always hear more complaints about stability from Mac users. Just an observation :)
:lol: i kinda felt like/thought i noticed it was more of the Mac crowd complaining about Live 8 back when that began too.

*shrugs*
i have an iMac now and Live 9 seems to work perfectly on it... so far...
*knocks on virtual wood*
Last edited by H20nly on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

login

Post by login » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:54 pm

H20nly wrote:
login wrote:If you are going desktop build your own, it's not as hard as you think and you will learn a lot in the process you will get a lot of value for your money, much more than with any built system.
i used to build a lot of PCs and would have wholeheartedly agreed with this... but lately it's getting to the point where you don't save a lot of money... and when you consider that time is money... you don't really save any thing.

it's nice to have an understanding of how all the components work though... so i certainly would say that it's a good learning experience. the only other benefit from building your own right now, IMO, is that there is absolutely no bloatware... just a clean operating system.

if you don't want to worry at all about it... in regard to buying a computer and the OS being tried and true, you'll need to go with 7, BUT i'm thinking that 8 is not going to drag its heals for music production so while it might not have the resume that 7 has... it will be the future like it or not. it's nice to have something solid but 2 years from now you don't want to be kicking yourself when someone you know is saying how solid Live runs on Windows 8. does that make sense?
Another advantage is that you get to pick parts of superior quality, specially the case and the PSU, quiet and with better power consupmtions.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:59 pm

login wrote:Another advantage is that you get to pick parts of superior quality, specially the case and the PSU, quiet and with better power consupmtions.
ageed. totally!

BUT - i don't feel that you save the money you once did.

still, give me...

1 An ASUS motherboard
2 An Intel or AMD processor with 4 cores at 2.6Ghz or higher
3 16 GB of Mushkin or Crucial RAM
4 600W power supply
5 2 Western Digital 500 GB hard drives
6 a quiet case

... and i'll build you a sick PC.

abletoff

Post by abletoff » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:26 pm

I've had issues with 8 with some plugins, ie Jamstix 3 not working correctly, rolled back to 7, disappeared.
Live 9 Suite, audio trackles (several audio tracks that crackle)