Macbook Pro Retina Temperatures

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
skiMo

Macbook Pro Retina Temperatures

Post by skiMo » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:12 am

Hi Guys,

I'm a new poster on this forum, although have been lurking for quite some time now.

I just wanted to find out how many of you are using a MBP w/ Retina and those of you who do use it, what are your average temps when running Live?

My machine is: 2.6ghz/16gb/512gb

When I run Ableton, fairly small project running at about 20% - 25% - smcFanControl shows that I'm running around 90-102C. Is this the same for anyone else?

Cheers!
Software: Ableton Live 9 Suite
Hardware: PC: 3.4ghz Sandy Bridge, 8gb RAM | Access Virus TI2 | Push (mine sucks, dodgy pads everywhere) | Maschine MK2
URL: SoundCloud

imagineowl

Re: Macbook Pro Retina Temperatures

Post by imagineowl » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:02 pm

I have the same machine. It usually gets about the same temperature for me too. I even took it in to apple so they could run a diagnostic, and everything was good. One employee said, they dont call them "laptops" no more because they get too hot.
Macbook Pro Retina | 2.7 Ghz i7 | 8GB Ram | 512 SSD
soundcloud.com/locs

joefrost01

Post by joefrost01 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:30 am

MacBarbecue Pro - "grill your sausage faster"

su-Y

Post by su-Y » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:04 am

Well what I do with this problem is I use a little utility called gfxCardStatus. It allows me to prevent OSx from beeing retarded and using discreet GPU for Live, since honestly, there is nothing going on there to be using it. It allows for prolonged battery life,reduced temp and is also useful in a handfull of other situations for example watching video with VLC player while on the go with integrated GPU.
Its also absolutely free and available here http://gfx.io/

Also I would like to use this space to rant about how Live doesn't support retina!

skiMo

Post by skiMo » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:31 pm

su-Y wrote:Well what I do with this problem is I use a little utility called gfxCardStatus. It allows me to prevent OSx from beeing retarded and using discreet GPU for Live, since honestly, there is nothing going on there to be using it. It allows for prolonged battery life,reduced temp and is also useful in a handfull of other situations for example watching video with VLC player while on the go with integrated GPU.
Its also absolutely free and available here http://gfx.io/

Also I would like to use this space to rant about how Live doesn't support retina!
I've made sure that I put my +1 in the beta testing forum (for retina support), they are aware of this and are planning but they've not given us a time-frame yet.

Also, I'm not sure how the gfxstatus app would work out better.. The integrated GPU is 'inside' the CPU isn't it? So the temps would be even hotter in this case surely? Please do correct me if I'm wrong though.
imagineowl wrote: I have the same machine. It usually gets about the same temperature for me too. I even took it in to apple so they could run a diagnostic, and everything was good. One employee said, they dont call them "laptops" no more because they get too hot.
What's interesting about this is that I've actually had to send it back previously for temps, they replaced the motherboard because I couldn't even get my idle temps lower than 89C. I just think it's a bit shocking that running live at such low usages results in crazy fan-speeds and temps, but happy to see that I'm not alone in this. 8)
Software: Ableton Live 9 Suite
Hardware: PC: 3.4ghz Sandy Bridge, 8gb RAM | Access Virus TI2 | Push (mine sucks, dodgy pads everywhere) | Maschine MK2
URL: SoundCloud

psyndrome

Post by psyndrome » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:39 pm

Yeah, hot as hell with Retina. Why not use the GPU power for audio?