Reason 7

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
v00d00ppl

Re: Reason 7

Post by v00d00ppl » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:28 pm

Anyone have an update on what the vintage modes might be?
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

Jarvisimon

Post by Jarvisimon » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:07 pm

I bought into Reason a short while back but have recently sold my license. Whilst it's come on in leaps and bounds, especially now they've added REX making abilities and groups, it's been a long wait, so i'm with Live all the way now.

Plus the RE EULA doesn't allow transfer of licenses, so there's no way i'm putting a penny into a format that's worthless should I stop making music on my computer.

For the very same reason, I wouldn't buy Spectrasonics or any other transfer limited software.

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:41 pm

Jarvisimon wrote:I bought into Reason a short while back but have recently sold my license. Whilst it's come on in leaps and bounds, especially now they've added REX making abilities and groups, it's been a long wait, so i'm with Live all the way now.

Plus the RE EULA doesn't allow transfer of licenses, so there's no way i'm putting a penny into a format that's worthless should I stop making music on my computer.

For the very same reason, I wouldn't buy Spectrasonics or any other transfer limited software.
Thanks you just saved me 250 bucks. I had a 50 dollar gift card to Amazon I was gonna burn but I will save it for later.
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:43 pm

Jarvisimon wrote:I bought into Reason a short while back but have recently sold my license. Whilst it's come on in leaps and bounds, especially now they've added REX making abilities and groups, it's been a long wait, so i'm with Live all the way now.

All DAW and Virtual Instrument manufacturers need to realise that if you can sell a used mixer or multitrack recorder the same should go for the virtual model. If you can sell a used drum machine, you be able to sell maschine.

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:46 am

The limitations on the RE SDK are retarded as well.

I got an AutoArp MIDI device recently (scale/arpeggiator, etc.) which was awesome on paper, but in practice the limitations of the SDK made it incredibly annoying to use and in many regards basically useless:

Due to restrictions in the current Rack Extension SDK (software development kit)
provided by Propellerheads, there are a few nuances to setting up AutoArp that will
not be immediately intuitive to experienced Reason users.
Instrument vs. Utility
Even though AutoArp is a note triggering utility device and not an instrument (i.e., it
does not directly generate audio), in order to allow for the use of patches for Reason
6.5/6.5.1 users, AutoArp had to be categorized as an "Instrument". You will
therefore find AutoArp listed in this category when you seek to add it to your rack. It
is possible that a future update to Reason/the RE SDK will allow AutoArp to be
properly categorized as a "Utility".
Auto Routing
Though native Reason triggering devices (e.g., the Matrix and the RPG-8) will autoroute the sequencer control CV connections to the desired instrument, the current RE
SDK does not allow this and thus AutoArp must be manually connected to instrument
devices. Do this by connecting the "Main" "Gate" and "CV" output connections on the
back of AutoArp to the Sequencer Control "Gate" and "CV" CV input connections on
any Reason device or Rack Extension that allows for control via CV. Remember, this
includes the Combinator, which can be used to send note data to multiple devices.
Notes to Track
Unfortunately, the current SDK does not allow a “Notes to Track” ability so AutoArp
cannot “print” notes to the Sequencer. AutoArp will be updated to include this
feature as soon as the SDK allows it.

Jarvisimon

Post by Jarvisimon » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:20 pm

It's a shame as I like Reason's cable patching capabilities. It's more versatile and user friendly than Live's autopatching but R7 is a catch-up update as I suspect R8 will be too and the exclusivity of RE's spells "stay away" to me.

Bye bye Props.

Jarvisimon

Post by Jarvisimon » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:36 pm

v00d00ppl wrote:Thanks you just saved me 250 bucks. I had a 50 dollar gift card to Amazon I was gonna burn but I will save it for later.
Definitely spend it on VST's if you're going to buy any virtual instruments. If, like me, music is your hobby, you may need to sell the occasional license to buy food etc if things get tight. RE's is not the way to go if you're on a tight budget.

I should really say that there was a case in the European courts (2011/2012) that involved a similar EULA but it was for the gaming industry and when challenged, the court ruled that the EULA did not comply with the law and that gaming licenses COULD be sold and transferred.

This could apply to RE's, however, nobody has challenged the Propellerheads through the courts over this yet but even so, it's not a good way to treat your customers, so best advice is to avoid paid RE's altogether unless you know you can afford to lose the money.

Also, when I sold my license, I wasn't allowed to give away the free RE's i'd collected along with it. So if you stop using Reason, they're a dead weight.
Last edited by Jarvisimon on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:25 pm

heh heh, Reason has an app for that. :? Very clever. It sounds familiar.
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:26 am

I've got R6, Can't stand the reason sequencer and only ever rewire it feels so clunky not quite as bad as live lol neither package anywhere near cubase.

The midi integration is good to see (finally). Everything else is ok. If you've got modular kit why would you limit yourself to 127 bit modulation over midi not sure? If expert sleepers or someone else gets a silentway rack extension then I'll be all over R7! :P

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:54 am

What does that mean? Aren't we allowed to sell our Reason licenses anymore?

kevwestbeats

Post by kevwestbeats » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:15 pm

#1thelark wrote:

What does that mean? Aren't we allowed to sell our Reason licenses anymore?
it means you cannot sell your rack extensions. when you sell reason the rack extensions are not transferable.
http://www.KevWestBeats.com
http://www.YouTube.com/DjKevWest
http://www.Facebook.com/KevWestbeats
http://www.Twitter.com/KevWestBeats

Live 9, Komplete 9, Maschine MK2, IK Total Studio, XLN Audio Addictive Keys and Addictive Drums, All of FXpansion's fx.

Jarvisimon

Post by Jarvisimon » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:31 pm

#1thelark wrote:What does that mean? Aren't we allowed to sell our Reason licenses anymore?
You're allowed to sell your Reason license but not your RE's. (Propellerheads new plug-in format - Rack Extensions).

So if you decide to quit using Reason and sell your license, any RE's you purchase from their shop are next to worthless. However, they will be kept on your account whilst it's still active and can be used again should you buy another Reason license (V6 or above) but if you want to give Reason up for good, then RE's are a waste of money.

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:12 pm

Mkay... I don't mind RE anyway...
I guess they will end up in a Reason "Ultimate" version or "Game of the Year Edition" someday ;-)
At least the ones Propellerhead did themselves.