seriously lower cpu............

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
toneroll

seriously lower cpu............

Post by toneroll » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:54 am

Buy some hardware!!!!!!!

now theres an idea! just think of a lovely "little" modular synth that you make just about any sound you want plus then have four of them going at once, all polyphonic as well, on top of this route audio in in realtime and process any way you like with not a single percent of cpu going up, in fact you could have all the above going with ZERO yes thats right ZERO % showing on the meter!! wow 8O
runs on mac or pc

(i've just read a lolt on the forum about high cpu usage with live , just trying to help out, you know i wouldn't abuse this forum just to sell my gear ........don't you?)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

check it out!!
there used to be a well cheesy "sig." here

iskandar

Post by iskandar » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:01 am

i would much rather buy a vst which is constantly upgraded and cheaper. i only really use one vst which is reaktor as it can be anything i want it to be... which modular synth did you have in mind for hardware ?

i do see your point but hardware does cost a lot and i would much rather spend that money on upgrading my computer, new cpus are due out this month and throughout the year, so lives cpu problems in the windows enviroment wont be such a problem anymore.. i do feel for the mac guys running a dual G5 and getting smoked by laptops, that is a issue the abes have to adress...

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:02 am

jesus, for $1,000 we could all just buy a 2nd computer and run Wormhole to patch audio between the two.... get a whole lots more power, and probably less latency than using a hardware synth.

just a thought... :wink:

Komplex

Post by Komplex » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:20 am

lol.

hardware and software synths. each is like a religion. why can't you people accept both ;)

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:48 am

iskandar wrote: i do see your point but hardware does cost a lot and i would much rather spend that money on upgrading my computer...
Well, just a counter-point.

I have lost tons of money on computers over the years. Always obsolete, and losing their value quickly. I bought an Andromeda A6 in 2002 and sold it in 2004 for the exact same price. No drop in value whatsoever. I find that while gear is more expensive, it REALLY retains its value (except samplers of course - you couldn't give them away).

Agreed on the latency issue though, I have had nothing but stress with midi syncing external gear.

But that said, I will probably never sell the last remnants of my old hardware studio - a Waldorf Micro Q, and a hardware mixer... Considering I used to have (all at one time) and sold most of it for roughly no loss of money:

1x Alesis Andromeda A6
1x Access Virus C
1x Novation Nova
1x Korg MS2000R
1x Waldorf Mirco Q
1x Roland JX-305
1x Xone 464
1x Electrix Repeater
1x Electrix Warp Factory
1x Electrix Filter Factory
1x Electrix Mo-FX
2x Electrix EQ Killers
1x Electrix Filter Queen
1x Drawmer DC2476 Mastering Processor
1x Alesis Q20
1x Behringer Autocom Pro
1x Behringer Eurorack 802A mixer
1x Akai S-01 Sampler (I took a major loss on this, but at least I kept it for almost 10 years...)

Ultimately, I bought mostly used gear, and sold it for the same price. It got to the point that I would buy a synth just to "check it out", knowing that I could sell it again in a few months. Can't do that with a computer, can ya?

Ebay is your friend...

;)

I have changed my username; Now posting as:

M. Bréqs

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:25 am

montrealbreaks wrote: Ultimately, I bought mostly used gear, and sold it for the same price. It got to the point that I would buy a synth just to "check it out", knowing that I could sell it again in a few months. Can't do that with a computer, can ya?

Ebay is your friend...
actually... i did just that with a 12" 867mhz powerbook about a year and a half ago. bought it on eBay for $1,000, sold it 7 months later for $1,000 :P

but you are right, computers do depreciate fast. And software (especially native instruments with their costly updates) rarely stops costing money.

I did the same as you for the longest time, always bought used gear and when it was time to sell i lost very little money. I probably recycled the same $2,000 through 9 or 10 pieces of equipment over 4 years. And if you're really lucky you'll turn a profit... like i did with my (1 of 666 produced) Microwave XT Black. Sold that thing and bought a new MPC!

toneroll

Post by toneroll » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:46 am

are you being serious? theres no latency with most sound cards and external gear, at least there is no noticable difference i could tell with the g2 or my monomachine....

and i'm with komplex with the accept both bit, a good mixture of the 2 is good,

you cant find a soft synth that sounds like a g2 just like you cant get a hardware one that sounds like z3ta..
its all about how the individual instrument sounds.
adamjay-- you're wormhole idea still leaves you with no sound source for a grand.... dont tell me, i know, free vsti's , imo they arnt as good.
then you need a host etc etc.

i'm not arguing coz i'm trying to sell this, coz im buying hardware with the money, i honestly think that software has pro and cons , so does hardware.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:15 am

toneroll wrote: adamjay-- you're wormhole idea still leaves you with no sound source for a grand.... dont tell me, i know, free vsti's , imo they arnt as good.
then you need a host etc etc.
last i checked the subject of this thread was "seriously lower cpu".
adding a 2nd (or 3rd or 4th as the case may be) CPU via wormhole would indeed give a user a big gain in processing power.

there are plenty of free or cheap apps that can host AU's and VST's that a user ALREADY owns but just wants more processing power for them. Plogue Bidule, Energy XT, etc.

not trying to argue either, just saying its another option... your option is great as well. i've always loved the sound of the nord modular, never checked out the G2 but i still drool over the first modlar's mini keyboard. =)

computo

Post by computo » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:30 am

does wormhole do all the work for you to use the 2nd cpu? is it additive?

If I have an 867 and 550 what kind of difference will I see?

Im intrigued but skeptical.

obviously, you can just split your workload with multiple programs, but what about if Im just using Live?

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:43 am

computo wrote:does wormhole do all the work for you to use the 2nd cpu? is it additive?

If I have an 867 and 550 what kind of difference will I see?

Im intrigued but skeptical.

obviously, you can just split your workload with multiple programs, but what about if Im just using Live?
wormhole is basically an app that allows you to stream audio from 1 computer to another computer (and back if you wish) via Network interfaces (firewire, ethernet, airport, etc.) It loads as a plugin.

It does NOT work in the way a Logic Node does in that all you have to do is load the Node software on your 2nd machine and it will simply "offload" processing.

If you're just using Live you could use it for reverbs, or mastering dynamics because of the added latency. You could host those FX in either Live, or if they are AU you could use Rax www.grantedsw.com or any other app that can host a VST and or AU.

melocoton

Post by melocoton » Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:46 am

How on earth does a hardware synth have more latency than a plugin? Answer: it doesn't!

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:47 pm

melocoton wrote:How on earth does a hardware synth have more latency than a plugin? Answer: it doesn't!
I think that the latency for hardware gear that people are thinking of is really the latency of the computer's midi interface; many sequence with the computer and the MIDI protocol is slow... then one must also consider the sound card's latency when recording it. You add the latency of your sound card's recording, plus your MIDI interface latency and the latency of the synth's MIDI brain to receive and apply the information too.

Honestly, CV had some advantages over MIDI!

Naturally, if you are just playing a hardware tone generator with it's own keyboard, then you're absolutely right - no latency at all.

I have changed my username; Now posting as:

M. Bréqs

toneroll

Post by toneroll » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:49 pm

yeah adamjay , i was joking with the title post trying to get people to look at the thread, and i didint want to put "g2 for sale" on the front of the board...

it has turned out to be a somewhat useful thread tho eh?

anyways everyones points are good , theres so much choice these days...

the midi latency thing..... i am presuming most people in this forum have some sort of midi keyboard , at least anyone looking at a rackmount synth should have one , but like i said ive used clips in ableton to fire them aswell i didnt notice a difference. a lot of midi controllers have midi out on them which would go straight into the hardware , i totally eliminated the midi latencey by firing the slots on the g2 with my monomachine..

elemental

Post by elemental » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:03 pm

not wanting to bring up hardware vs software debates again...

but u cannot beat the sound of hardware - analog synths, valve saturation, chunky sampler converters... software has its place too, but I would never sell all my hardware. IMO the all-software studio is a bit limiting in terms of warm organic sound and rawness. Also love what can be done with analog feedback loops.

Having said that I still love Absynth, Reaktor, and z3ta.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:14 pm

melocoton wrote:How on earth does a hardware synth have more latency than a plugin? Answer: it doesn't!
answer: using the hardware synth in Live = added input latency.

the synth itself hasn't the latency, but using it in Live to "reduce cpu usage" does induce latency.