VSTi Limit in Live 9 Intro?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
claurence

VSTi Limit in Live 9 Intro?

Post by claurence » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:29 pm

What is the limit for the number of VSTi in Live 9 Intro? Thanks

claurence

Re: VSTi Limit in Live 9 Intro?

Post by claurence » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:49 am

Thanks. Yeah, I saw the feature comparison, so I would also think it is 16. But, I even wrote an email to Ableton about this, and they didn't give a definitive answer about whether there can be 16 VSTi. Live Lite 8 has an 8 track limit and a 4 VSTi limit, for example. So, that's why I wonder. Thanks

claurence

Post by claurence » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:14 am

Intro 9 users? Ableton employees? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

cstump

Post by cstump » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:47 pm

I guess the Ableton Live 9 Intro users must be too embarrassed to reply, being the bottom tier program n' all. Well I'm not shy having the latest addition of lite and too honest to crack the full version(which some feel to be the norm as an entry point given by some of the posts I've read here lately) I would like the answer to this question myself.

By the way I saw this question at KVR and it seems their a little shy there also.
Quote:"There's a Bitwig thread born every second"

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:03 pm

WHy dont you test it?

cstump

Post by cstump » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:38 pm

Theo Void wrote:WHy dont you test it?
There is no Demo for Intro only the full version, If it means loading 5gigs+ to figure out that question if it was available wouldn't it be less of a hassle just to ask if someone who has the version to pop in and answer this question?

Thank's but no thank's.

claurence

Post by claurence » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:38 pm

Bump.

cstump

Post by cstump » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:16 pm

Bump, It's unbelievable that no one has the answer, but I'm starting to believe it. :?

GUY SMILEY

Post by GUY SMILEY » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:20 pm

there's this
http://www.ableton.com/en/live/feature-comparison/
doesn't seem to specify though
maybe 12 ?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=152866
then again maybe 6
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=130035

cstump

Post by cstump » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:20 pm

Another bump, the previous reply ^^^^^ was helpful but it's still in question.

octavious

Post by octavious » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:46 am

Im not embarrased to reply. I use ableton intro and it works great for me. I use it as a composition tool for laying out ideas.

I will mostly use it to live loop my guitar, my hardware synth and my bass guitar so i can compose songs on the go.

And once i have a complete song i move into Logic pro for the production stage.

Its fantastic for that. More than i would need in fact.

So. In regards to your question.

Live 9 INTRO allows 16 tracks (Regardless if they're midi or audio) and you can spawn as many plugins as you want (regardless if they're native plugins or vsts) within these 16 channels. You have racks enabled. So you can layer stuff in a single channel if 16 tracks is not enough for you.

In previous versions, intro would only allow you to use 4 external instruments, 8 native instruments, 12 native effects and 12 external effects. But the difference was that you had no track count limit.

I personally like the new version cause i have all the limitations set before hand, and i dont have to worry about live ever giving me latency or cpu spikes. And i can just focus on the song im creating.

I strongly recommend this approach. Working with limitations tends to make you more creative.

Cheers.
Last edited by octavious on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

octavious

Post by octavious » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:51 am

One thing to have in mind though is that ableton intro lacks some of the native plugins. (you can check the comparison chart given to you before to see)

The ones i tend to miss the most are the EQ 8 and the Vocoder.

You can always use an external vst EQ, there are some good ones. I use DMG audio EQuick. But the Vocoder is something i really miss. There is IMHO no decent third party option that even comes close to the quality you can get from Abe's vocoder. And i Just fucking sold my Akai miniak which featured a fantastic vocoder cause i thought i wouldnt need it anymore :(

Also, Intro comes only bundled with 3 native instruments (impulse, drum rack and simpler) but you can always purchase the rest of the instruments in the ableton store.

Im thinking of buying Analog, but I use synth1 which im so incredibly familiar with, so im deciding whater if to go for it or not. I mean. i already have MASSIVE, and 3 different hardware synths. So technically i dont really need another synth. Is ust that i want to keep things as simple as possible with the composition stage. And coincidentally i got a 50 bucks coupon off my new korg nanokontrol 2, reducing the price of Analog from 100 bucks to 50. So... I don't know.

topaz

Post by topaz » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:52 am

This is a great post. Thanks. :-)

I love Live for jamming out ideas but find it very frustrating to mix in. The seamless work flow, ie: no glitches when loading plugins is great but mixing for me is a pain.

Right now I have live suite 9 but have just got pro tools 10/11 and think that Intro may be a nice way to keep that creative flow that live offers but with simplicity (restriction is good) and then just export audio/midi into Pro Tools for final mixing.

OctavioPineda wrote:Im not embarrased to reply. I use ableton intro and it works great for me. I use it as a composition tool for laying out ideas.

I will mostly use it to live loop my guitar, my hardware synth and my bass guitar so i can compose songs on the go.

And once i have a complete song i move into Logic pro for the production stage.

Its fantastic for that. More than i would need in fact.

So. In regards to your question.

Live 9 INTRO allows 16 tracks (Regardless if they're midi or audio) and you can spawn as many plugins as you want (regardless if they're native plugins or vsts) within these 16 channels. You have racks enabled. So you can layer stuff in a single channel if 16 tracks is not enough for you.

In previous versions, intro would only allow you to use 4 external instruments, 8 native instruments, 12 native effects and 12 external effects. But the difference was that you had no track count limit.

I personally like the new version cause i have all the limitations set before hand, and i dont have to worry about live ever giving me latency or cpu spikes. And i can just focus on the song im creating.

I strongly recommend this approach. Working with limitations tends to make you more creative.

Cheers.
Complete Cycle, Contemporary Music for Film, TV, Media & Games.
http://www.completecycle.bandcamp.com

epuentesjr

Post by epuentesjr » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:06 am

Hey guys,
So question. I have Live 9 Intro and every time I go to install external VSTs/plug in's and even after having installed jBridge, I can get the VSTs themselves to upload and be made visible on the program VST folder itself, but it always looks like to me the extension of the file doesn't match up with what's required from Abelton. I don't know if that makes any sense but I'm so confused as to what I need to do.

I want something similar to EQ8 or even Korg M-1 (piano) but can't get them to pop up on the program when I click on them. Any ideas as to what I can do to circumvent this?

Thanks,
Enrique