LIVE 8 0R 9 EQUIVALENT OF STUTTER EDIT?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Whistlers

LIVE 8 0R 9 EQUIVALENT OF STUTTER EDIT?

Post by Whistlers » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:43 pm

Hi Guys - fairly new to Ableton, though not to making music.... I'm just wondering if anyone has found a way of replicating stutter edit within Live, or if Live have a native plug-in that will do similar? I note Beat Repeat is quite funky...anything else?

Thanks
Steve

timday

Re: LIVE 8 0R 9 EQUIVALENT OF STUTTER EDIT?

Post by timday » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:47 pm

Put the clip on repeat mode (under the launch mode button) and trigger it - it will stutter with a length determined by the clip's quantisation and play out the clip when you release the trigger pad/key.

IIRC you an adjust the stutter length on the fly by tying the clip quantisation to a MIDI controller.

Whistlers

Post by Whistlers » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:51 pm

Wow - that post might just have saved me £150 then! Sounds cool - any other audio mangling tips?

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:55 pm

Stutter Edit is really nice if your into that kind of thing.
I have been using the Finger AND Stutter Edit since they came out.

Although you can imitate aspects of those plugs in Live, by building 1 knob racked FX etc,
but it's not nearly as easy or versatile as Stutter Edit or the Finger.

Stutter Edit is fantastic, and for a plug it has a pretty unique colorization of sound.
The play-ability is just a great experience.

If you have a 61 key keyboard, thats a lot of effects/sequenced fx you can access instantly at minimal CPU.
I cant imagine trying to imitate that with hundreds of racks in Live and not choking live a bit.
Even if you dont choke Live's CPU, it sure would be a lot of clutter.
M4L might be able to imitate some of this stuff (i.e. NedRush devices), but I still haven't found M4L to be able to compete with with quality of sound, responsiveness, or light CPU print as Reaktor or Stutter Edit.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:06 pm

I should also add I had the Finger long before Stutter Edit, and after I bought Stutter Edit I had buyers remorse for a long time because it's expensive and I though I should be able to get by with the Finger alone.
However the more I use Stutter Edit the more I love it.
The stutter/repeat super clean and precise.
Yet it really excels at fade out type of fx,
Stuttery washed out fading redux trail off stuff that makes for great transitions or glitched up breaks.

TwistedTools makes some cool Reaktor devices in this realm, and there's BeatLookUp for Reaktor too.
BeatLookUp has the best "Jump" to specified spot in a bar, hands down.
Stutter Edit runs a close second.
The Finger stands apart because the way it reacts to velocity and fx ordering buy notes pressed.

Whistlers

Post by Whistlers » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:06 pm

Oh now - I do like the look of that Finger ! Love Tim Exile anyways, and this is way cheaper than SE and less complicated than the first suggestion - although that looks good too.

Brilliant - any more??

Steve

Whistlers

Post by Whistlers » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:08 pm

All I need now is PUSH - Ableton need a SHOVE on that!!

su

Post by su » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:24 pm

nice one timday.

You can get pretty good glitchy effects in live by mashing audio up in clip and arrange views. In clip view, draw in crazy automation for transpose and clip volume. Also, use warping creatively. For example, isolate a sound within a clip by anchoring with warp markers to left and right. Then stretch or shrink audio. Try out different warp algos. In arrange view, microedits can be very effective. Chop (crtl e), arrange (move chunks around on grid), and consolidate (ctrl j). Live's nondestructive audio editing in arrange view are very intuitive and powerful imo. Simply select and copy a chunk of audio from anywhere (can be partial clip), then paste it anywhere (including in the middle of a clip). Of course you can mix and match the two techniques - i.e. mangle a clip in clip view after you'ved chopped it out of a larger chunk. Sprinkle in a little bit of resampling and you can get pretty far without even using effects.
Last edited by su on Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:25 pm

dBlue glitch. It does shuffle, retrigger, gate, tapestop,.....

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:02 pm

Guitar Center is selling Effexctrix for $49.
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:15 pm

su wrote:nice one timday.

You can get pretty good glitchy effects in live by mashing audio up in clip and arrange views. In clip view, draw in crazy automation for transpose and clip volume. Also, use warping creatively. For example, isolate a sound within a clip by anchoring with warp markers to left and right. Then stretch or shrink audio. Try out different warp algos. In arrange view, microedits can be very effective. Chop (crtl e), arrange (move chunks around on grid), and consolidate (ctrl j). Live's nondestructive audio editing in arrange view are very intuitive and powerful imo. Simply select and copy a chunk of audio from anywhere (can be partial clip), then paste it anywhere (including in the middle of a clip). Of course you can mix and match the two techniques - i.e. mangle a clip in clip view after you'ved chopped it out of a larger chunk. Sprinkle in a little bit of resampling and you can get pretty far without even using effects.

All of this is cool, I do it a lot.
It's very different than the instant gratification of pressing keys on incoming audio.

su

Post by su » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:50 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:All of this is cool, I do it a lot.
It's very different than the instant gratification of pressing keys on incoming audio.

Ya, can be very time consuming. ;-)

As for effects, I'm loving some of the Max effects in Live 9 for glitching. I'm not at the daw so will probably get the names wrong but off the top of my head - tape stop, pitch drop, the step sequencer, dschihadelay all do great things to audio.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:04 pm

Check out NedRush m4l devices.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:05 pm

evangelink

Post by evangelink » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:26 pm

pencilrocket wrote:dBlue glitch. It does shuffle, retrigger, gate, tapestop,.....
Agree, this works perfectly for me, and it's free. Can't lose.